Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 02:08 PM

638 posts, read 1,849,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
L.A. Smog (air quality)2002

If you wouldn't have said where that was, I'd have thought it was Phoenix Valley . . they all look the same to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 03:59 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,992,401 times
Everyone doesn't live in WV for one reason...

We only allow a fixed number of people to move here in a year. Once that number is reached... tough luck..

ha ha

Old 08-13-2008, 04:28 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,318,295 times
Quotas...who would have thought of that..don't tell the congress...si habla!

And Smog? the last time I was in LA you could hold your hand out the car window and feel the particulate matter sandblast your skin...

Old 08-13-2008, 07:03 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times
WV air is average at best due to the fact that many old coal fired power plants are grandfathered into the system and tend to be more polluting. The Ohio River is famous for having all kinds of industry of all types which means the air quality is not particularly great. The jet stream also carries pollutants from west to east across the US.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,238,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The jet stream also carries pollutants from west to east across the US.
That's it! It's those durned cows in Ohio what's stinkin' up the air.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,618,450 times
While we are on the subject of pollution, I have a rather amusing story to share. When I was in college I took a physical geography elective and for some reason the topic of air pollution came up for debate. A _insert not nice word(s) here__ from a certain hated state (cough cough NEW JERSEY) said that he was told the reason that NJ was so polluted was because of coal and other industrial output from WV and that it spread east to his state on its way to the ocean. He seriously got up pointed to a map tried to pinpoint airflows etc to prove his point..I don't think I've ever been so amused at another person's stupidity in my life.

Sorry to veer off topic but I find it amusing when people think WV's air is dirty. Here in DC I feel there are some days when I can take a knife outside and literally cut right through it.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,318,295 times
The last time we had air pollution was when Mount St. Helens blew...

In Oregon, I've experienced the air from China...now that's a real downer to an Oregon (what used to be) blue sky...
I was amused too, perhaps Plains10 will say something else for us...

mtneer...I gave you points for your other post...but this one was better..

Also glad to not be living in the steamboat days...could you imagine? The settling of the west would have never occured..those steamboats clogged the river from New Orleans to Mckeesport, Pa to Butte, Montana...

I'll bet that was a sight that no one could actually behold for the smoke..

Old 08-14-2008, 08:48 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,436,175 times
W,VA. has plenty of woodland(trees) and mountain terrain to filter the air.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:04 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,377,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
While we are on the subject of pollution, I have a rather amusing story to share. When I was in college I took a physical geography elective and for some reason the topic of air pollution came up for debate. A _insert not nice word(s) here__ from a certain hated state (cough cough NEW JERSEY) said that he was told the reason that NJ was so polluted was because of coal and other industrial output from WV and that it spread east to his state on its way to the ocean. He seriously got up pointed to a map tried to pinpoint airflows etc to prove his point..I don't think I've ever been so amused at another person's stupidity in my life.

Sorry to veer off topic but I find it amusing when people think WV's air is dirty. Here in DC I feel there are some days when I can take a knife outside and literally cut right through it.
I am amazed how many kids from Jersey go to school at WVU. They (and especially their parents) should LOVE and THANK West Virginia.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:27 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,618,450 times
Tell me about it! I graduated in December of 04 and during my time at WVU it seemed like every other car in Morgantown had NJ tags. I have season football tickets so I'm back in Motown a lot in the fall and their numbers seem to be getting even larger every year. I swear their main goal in life is to tell everyone how much better the pizza and bagels are in NJ, that is honestly all they ever talked about.

I don't mean to say nasty things about NJ people but I found the vast majority of them to be the most downright rude and obnoxious people I've ever met in my life...and I live in the DC area for godsake! It seemed like my NJ friends were usually from the coastal section of the state and unfortunately their numbers at WVU weren't nearly as large as the "others" from northern NJ and the Philly suburbs.

I know I don't live in the state anymore but I was always so thankful to hear them say things like "I would never live here." GOOD. I wouldn't wish that on anyone in West Virginia and I certainly wouldn't want to deal with it when coming back to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia