Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 AM

63 posts, read 152,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Garth,

Did you try Poppies in Brevard? I know they sell Brasstown Beef, which is located in my area. I think they grass-feed, then finish them off with grain.

Hhhmm..... maybe I pass by your house alot when I go from Peachtree to Martin's Creek down Brasstown Road to visit my daughter. I pass right through Ridgefield Farms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 11:10 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,985 times
I live in Hiawassee. It wouldn't take long for me to get to the store at the farm.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,985 times
Well, bust my buttons!

Last weekend, I bought a "family pack" of four Ribeye steaks at Ingles. It was on sale and I took a chance. There was no label on the package except the Ingles label.

Wouldn't you know it? It was the best steak I've gotten from them in ages.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:06 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Well, bust my buttons!

Last weekend, I bought a "family pack" of four Ribeye steaks at Ingles. It was on sale and I took a chance. There was no label on the package except the Ingles label.

Wouldn't you know it? It was the best steak I've gotten from them in ages.

Maybe someone from the store has been reading this thread.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:27 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,719 times
My "beef" (groan) with Ingles is that recently all of their shrimp is freezer burned, like it's been thawed and frozen a dozen times. Anyone else notice this? And some of their vegetables are a crap shoot because they will look fine on the outside, but once you open them up they're rotten inside. The lettuce is especially bad for this.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:25 PM

54 posts, read 122,368 times
I don't know what you can expect when a monopoly runs the show. They can do pretty much whatever they want, including higher prices on food than I have ever seen in a US grocery store. Why does everyone seem so complacent about this food monopoly?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:13 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
Really not too impressed with the meats at the Cashiers Ingles, but they are the best prices for the basic staples. For just a little more, the Market Fresh in Highlands seems to be able to get in great cuts of meat.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:46 PM

279 posts, read 533,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
My "beef" (groan) with Ingles is that recently all of their shrimp is freezer burned, like it's been thawed and frozen a dozen times. Anyone else notice this? And some of their vegetables are a crap shoot because they will look fine on the outside, but once you open them up they're rotten inside. The lettuce is especially bad for this.
I don't buy produce there anymore. It rots in a day.

One day I was in the Ingle's on Merrimon and a lady told me that the prices were significantly higher than the Ingle's in Leicester. I'd noticed a big increase over the two Ingle's in West A'ville after that move and attributed it to the gas shortage...

Old 07-03-2011, 09:03 AM

521 posts, read 1,150,960 times
Default have you tried the meet at the Fresh Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
As I have ranted before, Ingles is a C to C-, in general, and their meat dept at the Waynesville store, ranges from barely tolerable to suspect, imo. The beef there, may be the worst of the lot; the pork/chicken is ok, but one has to get lucky.

The 'fish dept' at the Waynesville store is pathetic: cat fish fillets and stuff.

Fortunately the Farmer's Mkt by the Hart Theater, has Bernie the Fish Monger...
GL, mD
they got good beef, fish, etc.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 AM

521 posts, read 1,150,960 times
Default Yeah, Harris Teeter is high on prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I was a regular Food Lion shopper, and still am, but I started noticing the quality of their meats had gone down. Both the chicken and pork chops seem to be "pumped full" of water to make the portions bigger, the chicken breasts are huge, and I don't like that. The steaks are not very good either. They have built a huge Ingles near us recently, and I love it for the produce selection. I haven't bought much meat there, however.

I have started biting the bullet and buying my meats at Harris Teeter. I only buy steaks there occasionally though, they are sky high, I only buy if company's coming. But the quality is really good. I'd rather have a smaller quantity of good meat, than larger portions of pumped-up, hormone filled meat. Harris Teeter is over-priced on the rest of their groceries, though. Most of their customers are the country-club set in our small town, they are the only ones who can affored to do all their shopping there.

They're wicked high on everything, but the quality is good. You're right, I think only the upper middle class and rich folks are reg. customers there. The rest of us, cannot afford that store, though it's got a good selection.

Wish Kolgers was a nation wide store, Great prices, good service.. clean, friendly staff, good produce.
They need to expand their stores all up & down the east coast. TN is lucky state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina