Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
I noticed yesterday that the lettuce being sold in Ingles is now packaged with a colored wrapper that does not let you see the condition of the lettuce inside as well as the old one did. I won't buy it if it has any brown spots at all on it.
I don't like that either. I try to avoid buying lettuce that's packaged. So, skimming this thread, I will add that our local (Oteen) Ingles has bagged, then organic which is wimpy and seems to have seen its better days. Regarding meats: noticed the deli was advertising they're getting Boar's Head meats (as well), and the only meat I generally purchase from that Dept is the vacuum packed smoked salmon for salmon dip.

It's Earth Fare or Greenlife for me when it comes to buying beef, seafood and most produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 772,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyMom View Post
I love the Ingles in Murphy, but there really is very little choice unless you go to WalMart (ack) or a couple of other really basic grocery stores. I find the meat very expensive. Haven't noticed any Boars Head deli meats, I'll check next time we go, whch is a couple of times a week just for salad bar. Just watch as they check you out, I've caught pricing issues a couple times lately and gotten the item free because of it. SCORE

Tell me about it. I've lost count of the number of times I've found a incorrectly priced package of meat there. Price on sign says one thing, package has different price. Even found some pork chops that had a label / price for T-Bone steak on them!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 AM

177 posts, read 409,075 times
If you see an error and bring it to their attention, their policy is to give you the item, so watch that register display! I got $9 worth of nuts last time. lol

Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 772,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyMom View Post
If you see an error and bring it to their attention, their policy is to give you the item, so watch that register display! I got $9 worth of nuts last time. lol
Well, since I notice it when I pick up the package and long before I get to the register, I wouldn't feel right about asking for it free. I usually just point it out to the meat dept person, if there is one around. Once it was a whole section of gound pork labeled as ground beef. Every single package was wrong.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 AM

177 posts, read 409,075 times
I'm not advising you to try and rip anyone off, dear. I just advocate getting the price that they are offering for the item. How many times do you check your register receipt after you leave the store and find that you've been overcharged for an item. I think their policy, which is also the policy in many other stores, is a fair one. It's THEIR policy, not mine.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 PM

905 posts, read 3,455,646 times
Ingles does give you the item for free is incorrectly priced. If you buy multiples it is only good for 1 item. Alcohol excluded. They will not offer it to you if you don't ask for it! So be aware.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,367,806 times
The Harris Teeter in Asheville is being sold to Lowes Foods and Harris Teeter is planning to build a new store.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:03 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Lowe's Foods does not have much of a presence in western North Carolina. I wonder how it will fare against Ingle's.

Where in Asheville is Harris Teeter looking to open a store? I assume the store would be similar to the Hendersonville replacement store.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 9,665 times
Talking New Harris Teeter on Merrimon Ave in Asheville

The new HT is being built on Merrimon Ave in Asheville. Just a few blocks from the GreenLife natural food market. The HT that has been sold to Lowes Foods is on Biltmore Ave. It will be a quick transition as the new Lowes is to open July 1. The new HT on Merrimon will not be open until summer 2013.

I would love love love a Publix in Asheville.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 PM

5 posts, read 9,665 times
Thanks for the update on Boars Head at Waynesville Ingles. The only other Ingles I know of that's selling Boars Head is in Fletcher.

I have some inside information on what happened to Dietz & Watson cold cuts at Ingles. Apparently, Ingles was test marketing boars head at its Fletcher location. It's very popular, of course, because boars head is the best. Any how, Dietz & Watson found out about it. They were not happy as they had an exclusive contract with Ingles. They threatened that if Ingles didn't cease & desist test marketing boars head that they would end distribution to Ingles. Ingles refused to stop test marketing boars head. D&W stopped delivery.

Now, in some of the other Ingles stores. Di Lusso was being test marketed (in some locations it has been test marketed for a year). Ingles went with Di Lusso as a chain-wide, quick replacement to the hasty exit of Dietz & Watson. Apparently they are not ready to commit to boars head. But I have spoken to those "in the know" and they claim that the plan is to eventually have boars head in all Ingles stores.

Personally, I cannot stand Di Lusso. The quality is subpar. And the price for such low quality is outrageous. I have written to Ingles customer service to complain. I now buy all my cold cuts at a local deli that carries boars head. I thought Dietz & Watson was okay (not as good as boars head) but certainly better than Di Lusso.

So why is Ingles considering Boars Head? The rumor is that Ingles is fearful of competition from Harris Teeter. HT stores are starting to enter Ingles territory (including here in Asheville). Ingles seems to realize that customers will shop at HT instead for Boars Head and they would be correct. What's really sad is that Ingles customers have been requesting Boars Head for years. But the only thing that prompted Ingles to investigate getting it was not it's customers but rather threat of another chain. And it all comes down to money. What I've been told is that Ingles didn't want boars head because it's more expensive to carry. So as long as they had a monopoly they would rather carry cheaper, lower quality sandwich meats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina