Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:21 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times

Advertisements

I know there was a thread about where to buy good meat, but that isn't my question.

For those of you that have lived in WNC for at least five years, have you noticed a declining quality of beef at Ingles?

They used to sell a brand of Black Angus beef that was pretty good, but it disappeared a while ago. Lately, I've gotten some really inferior beef from them that's been a complete disappointment.

Recent purchases have been two rib eye steaks that were tough, a brisket that shrank at least two-thirds during cooking, and some cut up strips of steak that contained a ton of water.

Now Ingles has remodeled two stores in my area and added a separate higher-end meat and seafood section in all the stores. Are they trying to get us to purchase in the higher-end section by making the regular section really bad?

One of their meat department employees told me the meat was the same in the new section; it's just cut thicker (which I don't like).

I'm really disappointed and will have to start going to a separate butcher. Anyone else noticed this change for the worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 12:25 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,473,588 times
Sure have. We started buying the organic meat there for that reason if we had to get it from ingles. We would usually hit Harris Teeter or Earthfare/fresh market, but if we forgot to get something, Ingles was right there.

We also use to get stuff from hickory nut gap farm, but we also noticed a decline and higher prices. So stopped going there about a year and a half ago. We think they got too big and can't handle it.

Ingles as a whole is rather subpar, but you don't really have much of a choice unfortunately.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Wait. Your Ingles has organic beef? Mine sure doesn't. My only other choice is a local butcher and that's my next step.

You know what chaps my hide? The whole WNC area is lucky enough to have all these local growers and meat producers, and Ingles isn't even interested in selling very much of their stuff.

Even most of the organic stuff at Ingles isn't local - at least not in my area.

Lost opportunity.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:49 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,617,090 times
As I have ranted before, Ingles is a C to C-, in general, and their meat dept at the Waynesville store, ranges from barely tolerable to suspect, imo. The beef there, may be the worst of the lot; the pork/chicken is ok, but one has to get lucky.

The 'fish dept' at the Waynesville store is pathetic: cat fish fillets and stuff.

Fortunately the Farmer's Mkt by the Hart Theater, has Bernie the Fish Monger...
GL, mD

Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Motor David,

Have you been in WNC long enough to remember when Ingles had good meat? It's recently gone downhill.

The difference is shocking.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:03 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,617,090 times
SS,
We moved in a couple weeks post 9-11, 2001.
From fading memory, it may have seemed better then...but, we always liked the Food Lion at the foot of Eagles Nest Mtn on EN road.
That FL store has been 'gone' a few years now.

We aren't frequent steak/beef eaters like we were in the '70s,'80s & '90s, but our local Ingles may be my least fave grocery store,
regardless of what I'm looking for...just my opin.
I may have to try the Ing in Canton that gets better reveiws from some freinds that live in that area, but it isn't handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Motor David,

Have you been in WNC long enough to remember when Ingles had good meat? It's recently gone downhill.

The difference is shocking.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,962 times
I just googled Wholefoods locations and there's one in Asheville called Greenlife Grocery . They have organic food. I'd lay off of meat as much as possible.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,945,845 times
I was the one who asked about a good place to buy beef in that other thread. What prompted it was the low quality beef I found at Ingles. I don't have the perspective to know if Ingles once carried good beef. All I know is that it doesn't match up to well finished, properly marbled, good quality tender beef that I'm looking for.

I really haven't found any place in the mountains that has good quality beef. The emphasis seems to be on "grass finished" or some kind of "organic" emphasis. What I found overall is that it produces tough meat that's not good tasting. I might as well get Buffalo or Beefalo for what the regular beef turns out to be - dry, tough and tasteless. Undoubatedly it's healthier, but I might as well be cooking shoe leather.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 PM

Garth,

Did you try Poppies in Brevard? I know they sell Brasstown Beef, which is located in my area. I think they grass-feed, then finish them off with grain.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:20 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,945,845 times
Yes, we did and they were the best we found. It's a bit of a drive for us and their prices are high for what we have always expected to get at a local grocery, so that's what would hold us from frequenting them often. However, when we want to get something I think it's going to be the only game in town.

We also went to a local (Fairview) ranch that raises and sells their own beef. It was fresh and thier marketing concept is great, but they were grass fed so that's what kept their product from being what we would consider top quality.

I agree that Poppies is about the best place to get good quality beef anywhere in the area, otherwise it's a commodity that's not a common animal (so to speak) in this neck-o-the-woods. I sure miss enormous, juicy and tender beef ribs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina