Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:42 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,723 times

Advertisements

At my office we have an employee who is just terrific. He has a great personality and a unique way with people. He also has unique technical skills and a real great work style. He puts in long hours without complaint and is always available for extra work. ------------But we also found out he lied big time on his employment application.

When he was hired a year ago, he made up a fake company, paycheck stub, and got a few friends to act as boss. It fooled the new guy in HR who checked has references.

A few weeks ago we had someone recheck every-ones backgrounds as part of a ongoing security check for a government contract. Our superstar employees lies were exposed. What should we do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 07:52 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,310 times
YIKES tough call....I dont know..I mean if he is a terrific asset....I guess it depends on how forgiving your need to be...I mean follow the law and stuff..but I am sure that its not the first time people have given personal friends as references and they were "their boss".

And it depends..is your company a small one..family owned...or are your really a large corporation?

How did you catch him in the lie....I mean if it was the same situation and he was arrested or something..or had "record"..you may not have hired him too right?

Wow..tough call...Personally not knowing both sides of the story...if he is asset to your company..and overall you dont find anything else you can "pin" on him...I would say keep him...its hard to find good employees these days as it is..but it just depends on your company, style and what your personal beliefs are. Maybe even just asking him why he would lie like that would help?

Old 07-10-2007, 08:00 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Maybe the guy is young, knew what he was capable of but no one would give him a shot because he had no prior experience.....some of those HR peeps can be BRUTAL!!!

I say if he's that good and it was nothing criminal...keep him but let him know you found him out....jmo

Old 07-10-2007, 08:58 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
Why not confront him on it and ask if it is true. If it is have a heart to heart with him and tell him that you are disappointed and that you don't expect to have to deal with any more honest issues and put him on a probation type status for a while.

Dawn

Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
It shows a character flaw and demonstrates a history of dishonest actions. I could never trust that individual and would immediately discharge him.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:08 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,537 times
I agree with Dawn.

Tell the guy that you won't fire him... but put him on probation. If he lies again about the littlest things, throw him out of the building. Tell him that, and you can say that if he's honest from now on, he can use you and the company as a reference so he can get hired in future jobs.

I can empathize with people who have excellent resumes and work ethic, but not enough work experience to back it up.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:08 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,645 times
Why not just take whatever action the company policy says must be taken for employees who provided false information on applications and resumes. Isn't that the right thing to do?

Old 07-10-2007, 09:38 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
It's not just that he lied that bothers me, it's that he was cunning enough to get enlist friends and set up a fake company, paycheck stub, etc. That seems to me to be much more than just a lie to get the job. He's a con man and he has friends that aren't any better.

There's danger in this guy, I think.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:56 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,299,474 times
The whole thing bothers me, he even made up a fake pay stub?

I am touchy about dishonesty...I wonder what they have done that I HAVEN'T caught. AND lets all be honest, you know that someone who is that accomplished, that he enlisted friends, made up fake pay check stubs, made up an entire company...he sounds pretty accomplished, this can't be his only endeavor.

AND since your talking about a government contract, that throws things into a completely different light.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:00 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It's not just that he lied that bothers me, it's that he was cunning enough to get enlist friends and set up a fake company, paycheck stub, etc. That seems to me to be much more than just a lie to get the job. He's a con man and he has friends that aren't any better.

There's danger in this guy, I think.
Well its sounds as though your "gut" is giving you your answer..meaning it sounds as though you want to let him go...even though he is a great asset to the company..and it "sounds" as though even if he were to prove it to you on how good he would be to your company..you still would not be able to forget this incident....in which case then I would offer a clean break(within the law of course)..and let him go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment