Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 AM

558 posts, read 2,248,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
I pulled off a similar stunt back in 2000, right after I had graduated college. After several months of unsuccessfully searching for a job, I changed my resume to say I had worked someplace I had never actually worked, and enlisted a couple friends to act like they were my managers, when called for a reference.

During my fruitless job search, I was told time, and time again, that they liked me, but needed someone with experience. The obvious question, was how am I supposed to get experience if nobody will hire me?

I felt bad about lying, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Honesty doesn't pay the rent or put food on the table. My phony experience got me a great job, where I worked my tail off, and was soon their star employee, pulling the weight of all the "experienced" people who didn't work half as hard as I did. Was it wrong...absolutely. But now that I'm the manager, if I had a star employee who I found out did this, I don't think I'd fire him. I'd have a stern talk with him and maybe put him on probation.

Once you tell him the *** is up, you can use his reaction to help you decide whether he is truly worth keeping. This will be an opportunity to see his true colors.
They've already seen his true colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,059 times
I would not fire him if he is really excellent. Eventually extend the probation period and make a cut on his wage

Old 11-03-2007, 03:01 PM

242 posts, read 613,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
At my office we have an employee who is just terrific. He has a great personality and a unique way with people. He also has unique technical skills and a real great work style. He puts in long hours without complaint and is always available for extra work. ------------But we also found out he lied big time on his employment application.

When he was hired a year ago, he made up a fake company, paycheck stub, and got a few friends to act as boss. It fooled the new guy in HR who checked has references.

A few weeks ago we had someone recheck every-ones backgrounds as part of a ongoing security check for a government contract. Our superstar employees lies were exposed. What should we do about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It shows a character flaw and demonstrates a history of dishonest actions. I could never trust that individual and would immediately discharge him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It's not just that he lied that bothers me, it's that he was cunning enough to get enlist friends and set up a fake company, paycheck stub, etc. That seems to me to be much more than just a lie to get the job. He's a con man and he has friends that aren't any better.

There's danger in this guy, I think.
He's been there a YEAR. He's no longer a stranger. They now know him well enough to be able to assess what type of person he is.

It doesn't seem like a danger. Maybe when he filled out the application, he may have felt that he was IN danger of being HOMELESS if he DIDN'T find a job. I don't know about you all, but if I was desperate, feeling like I was going to be on the streets, I'd do what ever it took to get hired, and he apparently is pretty appreciative considering how he's shown himself to be a dedicated responsible employee.

So he did what he had to do to get the job, and once in the door, for a whole year he's proven his dedication and he's excelled at his job duties? Just what any employer could hope for? And it looks like it's a good job fit for him, just like he's a good employee fit for the company?

I just don't get these people that think he should just be fired on the spot.

So he didn't have the experience when he was hired. Well, he does now.

Sooo... fire him but as he's walking out the door, hand him another application and tell him to bring it back tomorrow, and then rehire him. lol

Old 11-03-2007, 03:02 PM

Liars usually continue to lie. Scammers usually continue to scam.

If you lay one brick, are you a brick layer?

Old 11-03-2007, 03:05 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojow View Post
He's been there a YEAR. He's no longer a stranger. They now know him well enough to be able to assess what type of person he is.

It doesn't seem like a danger. Maybe when he filled out the application, he may have felt that he was IN danger of being HOMELESS if he DIDN'T find a job. I don't know about you all, but if I was desperate, feeling like I was going to be on the streets, I'd do what ever it took to get hired, and he apparently is pretty appreciative considering how he's shown himself to be a dedicated responsible employee.

So he did what he had to do to get the job, and once in the door, for a whole year he's proven his dedication and he's excelled at his job duties? Just what any employer could hope for? And it looks like it's a good job fit for him, just like he's a good employee fit for the company?

I just don't get these people that think he should just be fired on the spot.

So he didn't have the experience when he was hired. Well, he does now.

Sooo... fire him but as he's walking out the door, hand him another application and tell him to bring it back tomorrow, and then rehire him. lol
it's not about how much experience he has. it's about fraud.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:54 PM

I understand this case is about him lying to cover up that he was fired from 2 other jobs. (I was at work when I wrote that post and some how in the midst of things, I switched over to the classic cases of people lying about their work experience to get a foot in the door.)

My main reaction is toward the ones who say he should be fired, and that's that. Yes he went through elaborate pains to create a cover. But it's a scary world when people only see things in black and white. His situation was probably desperate, especially if he has a family to feed, and combine that with his performance and who he's shown himself to be, and it's a little harsh to consider him a dangerous sneaky criminal who should be fired.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Default Ethics???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMtns View Post
it's not about how much experience he has. it's about fraud.

Companies lie to you all the time when they hire you.
If the guy does the job he is paid for, and he is making money for them, that's all they care about. This big ethics thing is just a joke, because companies don't abide by ethics themselves. Enron was one huge example, but it happens on smaller scales when you just apply for a job...

Old 11-03-2007, 07:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
At my office we have an employee who is just terrific. He has a great personality and a unique way with people. He also has unique technical skills and a real great work style. He puts in long hours without complaint and is always available for extra work. ------------But we also found out he lied big time on his employment application.

When he was hired a year ago, he made up a fake company, paycheck stub, and got a few friends to act as boss. It fooled the new guy in HR who checked has references.

A few weeks ago we had someone recheck every-ones backgrounds as part of a ongoing security check for a government contract. Our superstar employees lies were exposed. What should we do about it?
fire him yes?

Old 11-04-2007, 08:36 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Crazy...I doubt some manager would get fired for lying to their employees. If this guy is doing his job, he is as good or better than any manager who lies to their employees.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
I just took the time to read through this entire thread. It made for interesting reading. What struck me the most.... was the fact that this guy had to fake his resume to get a shot. Check out what our HR dept's require for job applicants these days. Check their online job resume data bases that are used to Vet out applicants. Here is a guy that is perfectly suited to do the job. If he hadn't been forced into draconian HR rules, run by folks that are in boxes and see no grey areas, maybe we wouldn't have seen this behaviour and maybe, just maybe more folks would have opportunities to be contributing members of society in positions that are a good fit.

i think the world is made up of a lot more grey than the black and white most of you folks see. I'm glad the company see's more grey as well.

Shelly

I know there are probably things that should be zero tolerance, total black and white, but thank god some people still know when to see the grey. Human compassion, understanding, and an ability to be able to put yourself in someone else's shoes for a second are traits that are slowly seeping away as corporate mentality becomes more and more supported.

I gave ya reps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment