Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:29 PM

483 posts, read 2,094,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Uh huh.. I bet he does. He is a liar.. He compromised his ethics (if he has any).

I'd doc his pay since his experience was a lie.

While that SOUNDS good, your company CEO is really gonna be upset when
you dock HIM $20 mil.

Because you know they ALL lie thru their teeth.
But I guess you couldn't say they compromised their ethics - most don't have any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,235 times
Let him go

Old 10-18-2007, 01:39 AM

468 posts, read 1,637,613 times
I'm sorry, but this is a huge integrity issue. The man blatantly lied on his application, got the upper hand for the job and landed it, extremely unfairly. He was caught totally red-handed and I would kick him out ASAP, no questions asked at all. His explanation won't make up for his total lack of judgment.

Hopefully this will teach him a lesson - dishonesty is not a good trait.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:28 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,330,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It shows a character flaw and demonstrates a history of dishonest actions. I could never trust that individual and would immediately discharge him.

I agree-get rid of him.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:42 AM

947 posts, read 3,572,829 times
Dingler:

I think you made a good decision.

If I were in your situation, I would've sat him down, had a talk with him and if he owned up/admitted to everything, suspended him for 2 weeks without pay and told him a very complete background check will be done and he will be on probation for 90 days when he comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I and some other managers sat him down and had a long talk. He came clean but begged for his job.

He claimed that he had chosen some bad fits in the past and had been fired twice due to a poor fit. He had no references so he was unemployed for almost a year. His job search being honest had been fruitless. He was broke and desparate so he decided to lie. His past had really turned him into a better employee because he told him self that if he ever got another job in his field again he would be the model employee, which is what he is.

As a Human Resources professional I can relate to his problem. I see many bad managers eat up and spit out their employees just because they have a different personality. I see the results of a bad fit all the time and the end results are not pretty. I can also see how in a competitive job market people who were fired from two jobs in a row can have an almost impossible time getting a job. But...........

We let him work through the week and a decision will be made on Friday.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Default Get real

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is a huge integrity issue. The man blatantly lied on his application, got the upper hand for the job and landed it, extremely unfairly. He was caught totally red-handed and I would kick him out ASAP, no questions asked at all. His explanation won't make up for his total lack of judgment.

Hopefully this will teach him a lesson - dishonesty is not a good trait.
Oh my...and human resources, managers, CEOs, the whole lot of them have ethics??? Come on! Since when are companies all pure and honest?
Companies will lie to you, to do what they want. Some will let you accept a job, get all ready to come on board, then hire someone else at the last minute over you.
Or, let you accept a job, and then keep looking, just to keep you as a back up, in case they find someone else with more experience or cheaper, whatever.
I think employees are now doing whatever they can to find jobs. Employers don't have any problems lying to you or screwing you over, so why give them the moral high ground?

Old 10-21-2007, 12:59 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
If you didn't follow your P & P manual, that could be trouble down the road. Not just for this employee, but for future employee issues.

The worst part of this is the length that he went to. Very elaborate scheme. Almost sociopathic.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:05 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,438,345 times
reflect about it when you are alone and in silence.

try to mentally put yourself in the employee's shoes before deciding anything.

if you believe in God ask him for counseling and guidance.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:31 PM

163 posts, read 908,774 times
I pulled off a similar stunt back in 2000, right after I had graduated college. After several months of unsuccessfully searching for a job, I changed my resume to say I had worked someplace I had never actually worked, and enlisted a couple friends to act like they were my managers, when called for a reference.

During my fruitless job search, I was told time, and time again, that they liked me, but needed someone with experience. The obvious question, was how am I supposed to get experience if nobody will hire me?

I felt bad about lying, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Honesty doesn't pay the rent or put food on the table. My phony experience got me a great job, where I worked my tail off, and was soon their star employee, pulling the weight of all the "experienced" people who didn't work half as hard as I did. Was it wrong...absolutely. But now that I'm the manager, if I had a star employee who I found out did this, I don't think I'd fire him. I'd have a stern talk with him and maybe put him on probation.

Once you tell him the *** is up, you can use his reaction to help you decide whether he is truly worth keeping. This will be an opportunity to see his true colors.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 AM

732 posts, read 4,158,313 times
You guys got tricked into hiring him. You guys should be fired. yes fire the smart, and hard working ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment