Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:29 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojow View Post
I know there are probably things that should be zero tolerance, total black and white, but thank god some people still know when to see the grey. Human compassion, understanding, and an ability to be able to put yourself in someone else's shoes for a second are traits that are slowly seeping away as corporate mentality becomes more and more supported.

I gave ya reps.
Well it is not only this. To fire an "excellent" employee isn't good for the company either. Because you will have to invest time and money in trying to find another employee - still with the risk, that the one will not be excellent again.

Punish him however, yes. Fire him, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Default Goes both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Well it is not only this. To fire an "excellent" employee isn't good for the company either. Because you will have to invest time and money in trying to find another employee - still with the risk, that the one will not be excellent again.

Punish him however, yes. Fire him, no.
Then punish every manager or HR person who lies or has lied to any employee who is hired, and don't say it doesn't go on, because it does all the time.

If you want to assume the high moral ground, then your side has to be squeaky clean.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:16 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,560 times
So that's what I'm doing wrong, being honest.

Companies don't reward you for honesty on job applications, they really don't. So this guy was only doing what he gets rewarded for. I can't see firing a good employee, even if they lie. Maybe the people hiring at your company just don't know how to find good employees... maybe they should be fired.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:36 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
Default Rumor Control

Does anyone know Dingler personally? I heard through the grapevine that he was terminated for not following policy when he found out that the guy's app. was fraudulent. That it had not been the first time he breached company policy.

I DMed him when I heard this about a month ago, but have never heard back.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:12 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
He hasn't posted since 8/23. One of his former posts indicated that he had been interviewing for a job.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:36 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Companies have just as much accountability to be honest and upfront with employees, as employees are with them. Most people feel companies are not honest with them, so they feel no reciprocality back.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:01 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,402,344 times
Dingler is gonzo......

Old 11-10-2007, 10:02 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,402,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Does anyone know Dingler personally? I heard through the grapevine that he was terminated for not following policy when he found out that the guy's app. was fraudulent. That it had not been the first time he breached company policy.

I DMed him when I heard this about a month ago, but have never heard back.

Maybe he is still on the board but reincarnated to a new moniker ..... let's think who it could be...would have to be someone who is currently looking for a job...hmmmm

Old 11-11-2007, 05:26 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It shows a character flaw and demonstrates a history of dishonest actions. I could never trust that individual and would immediately discharge him.
I have to agree. What this person did when under pressure and desperate to achieve an end result (getting the job) may manifest itself again when those same feelings emerge. This could mean falsifying company records, hiding facts if they might mean he/she could get in trouble or benefit from this, etc. It's tough when it's a "good" employee but I'd rather have a good and trustworthy individual working for me; particularly when we see so many examples of poor ethics permeating the workplace and causing severe consequences for the employer in terms of loss business, lawsuits, and reputation.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:56 AM

850 posts, read 3,717,862 times
I can understand why he did this in a way because it can be SO HARD to find a job. Maybe he was absolutely desperate about finding work and he just couldn't find anything, then he lied.

That is pretty weird that he made checkstubs and called his friends up, but I guess you have to cover up ever corner. I would definately confront him about it, but maybe find out the whole story and decide from there.

Also, has he done anything dishonestly within his job or in the company besides this? If he has, then maybe you should let him go. If he hasn't and has just been great, then I would give the guy a break. He's just trying to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment