Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:29 AM

434 posts, read 1,653,723 times

Advertisements

No offense to your bosses, but bad move by them. No one is irreplaceable in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 06:06 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
They ended up keeping the man because he was such a good employee and he would be almost impossible to replace. He is on notice and being watched more carefully now.
My 30+ years in business tells me that was a bad move. People do not change their character and this person clearly committed fraud. Now I think the management needs to be replaced as well… No wonder many US industries have trouble competing in this world.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:42 PM

532 posts, read 1,232,274 times
Quote:
At my office we have an employee who is just terrific. He has a great personality and a unique way with people. He also has unique technical skills and a real great work style. He puts in long hours without complaint and is always available for extra work. ------------But we also found out he lied big time on his employment application.

When he was hired a year ago, he made up a fake company, paycheck stub, and got a few friends to act as boss. It fooled the new guy in HR who checked has references.

A few weeks ago we had someone recheck every-ones backgrounds as part of a ongoing security check for a government contract. Our superstar employees lies were exposed. What should we do about it?

All these procedures are done to help you get an idea if someone would do a good job for your company. If the guy is doing a good job don't fire him. He may have been desparate and figured if he got in he would prove how good of a job he could do.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,377,367 times
Keep us posted on this one. I, too, think it was a bad decision (putting it mildly).

Old 07-17-2007, 05:50 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,965 times
Default Since we gave him a second chance he has been a model employee times ten

He continues to be a model employee. He is the nicest man and the type of employee all bosses would LOVE to have. His only trouble was his background was a fraud!

I consider him to be like an ILLEGAL ALIEN. THey work twice as hard because they are here illegally.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:52 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,234,121 times
Was the company he referenced named Vandalay Industries?.....ok, silly joke

I'm interested in seeing how this plays out. I'm on the fence with this one.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:42 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,061,415 times
Quote:
He continues to be a model employee. He is the nicest man and the type of employee all bosses would LOVE to have. His only trouble was his background was a fraud!

I consider him to be like an ILLEGAL ALIEN. THey work twice as hard because they are here illegally.
Dingler, sounds like you are harboring a lot of anger and resentment towards this employee. You can't keep that from affecting you forever. I fear that, before too long, he'll find that your company "isn't a good fit", either.

This was not simply fudging the dates on an application. This was fraud. Nothing else. And the discovery of his fraud has affected your relationship with him. You cannot simply forgive and forget it. Your trust has been broken and it take a lot of hard work and open communication to reestablish that trust. Are you willing to do that?

By the way, if I were him I'd be trying to get out of there ASAP. He knows he has lost your trust and he knows that he has lost a lot of opportunities with the company because of his actions. His chances for advancement within the company are dead. Don't be surprised if he leaves you for another company within the next few months. Afterall, he has a better work history now.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:16 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Employer knowingly retains employee after discovering fraudulent information regarding background, experience ...

The employee will talk/bragg about it sooner or later. The company is wide open to EEOC complaints and law suits.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:36 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
I must ask the question: Is there any point that anybody truly questioned his integrity? Integrity, to me, is doing what's right when no one is looking. It goes without saying that he is a model employee in front of everyone but what about when no one is around? What do we really know about his integrity? Well, the only thing we know is that when he was given the opportunity to deceive someone he did. So, this tells me that he can be just as deceiving about anything else. I would have fired this man the second I found out. However, there may be more legal issues involved, such as whether or not HR properly handled the matter. I have no idea as to those circumstances and sometimes a company will hold on to someone because of the legal pain in the rear certain situations may cause.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:21 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,508,029 times
Ok, hear me out on this one. Dingler, I think you are the misfit here. Why? Because your bosses tolerate fraud and deception and your co-worker is a deceiver and commits fraud. Who stands out like a sore thumb? You. The employee with a conscience. I know jobs are hard to come by, but don't let their misdeeds and bad deeds eat you up. My grandmother used to have a saying "don't let them visit their troubles on you". I don't know your situation or your job market, etc. but as I see it you can go one of two routes: find another job or wait this thing out - protecting yourself as you wait it out; because it is my opinion that this thing will come to a head. It might be a ways down the road, but it will come to light and the bad deeds will be exposed. I think it is awful that you aren't surrounded by people with more integrity. I'm sorry. Thanks for the update though. You seem like a very nice person and I hope you keep in touch here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment