Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,011,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
You can't force the business or your co-workers to assume that same responsibility for YOUR kids. Once you make your personal problems their problem you will soon to be replaced or passed over for promotion due to your unreliability.
This is a fair point, I remember her putting in for a promotion in 2011.. Not getting it...I just got one sort of.. I'm not excited about it by any means, but its proof at what companies look at.

The double standard is what gets me.. I'll see if I can just escape early some afternoons this spring when my job is busy because my other interests can have a few busy days then too.. If they get angry with me because I dont have kids or act like I'm a terrible worker and she's great come then.. I will be furious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
You can't force the business or your co-workers to assume that same responsibility for YOUR kids. Once you make your personal problems their problem you will soon to be replaced or passed over for promotion due to your unreliability.
That doesn't happen. If you read my entire post, I also stated that I will work late at night, very early mornings, even weekends. My coworkers may not notice that I do this, but I get my work done, done well and on time.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:32 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
Anytime I feel discriminated against for not having kids (parking space, pick up slack at work, etc.) I just remind myself that at least I get to keep all my money for myself.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:01 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
The double standard is what gets me.. I'll see if I can just escape early some afternoons this spring when my job is busy because my other interests can have a few busy days then too.. If they get angry with me because I dont have kids or act like I'm a terrible worker and she's great come then.. I will be furious
Yeah, I think it's bogus (and I'm a parent).

You often see the same thing with smokers. They can take as many trips outside as they want, but those who don't smoke aren't expected to leave their desks.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:54 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,397 times
I've known two women who when I first met them, were childless and workaholics. When they became pregnant, they still claimed that they would not let having a child affect their work schedule. After the babies were born (not born at the same time, in subsequent years), all that changed. Coming in late because of baby issues. Leaving early because of baby issues. Missing work because of baby issues.

I'm not saying this is wrong, because my kids were small once too and I've been known to miss a day or two for them! However, my point is that you can feel resentment and it's understandable, but that will change when you have kids of your own.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 PM

316 posts, read 214,676 times
Quote:
but that will change when you have kids of your own
Shouldn't that be IF you have kids? I wish people would stop saying when you have kids or wait until you have kids. No on is guaranteed anything. I do agree if you can't handle work and kids to stay at home. At least try to make balance. Then why is it always the mother taking off early?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Your coworker had no right to be angry at you, especially since you were doing her a favor. However, until you have kids don't judge. I used to despise coworkers with kids that pulled the same stuff. Then I had children, and now I get it. There are times you need to leave for your kids. They come first, no matter what. I manage my time differently. Taking some work home, coming in early etc. Things some wouldn't notice.

Last week in the wake of Newtown's shooting I asked my boss to leave early to meet my kids off the bus and just hug them. She was very understanding (no kids of her own). Until you have kids, it is truly hard to judge.
Sorry, I will judge.
It's your responsibility to figure out your child rearing needs and deal with them.
An emergency here and there, fine; a general practice, not so fine.

You chose to have kids. Figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Yeah, I think it's bogus (and I'm a parent).

You often see the same thing with smokers. They can take as many trips outside as they want, but those who don't smoke aren't expected to leave their desks.
Then you have parents who smoke!

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-03-2013 at 07:36 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Sorry, I will judge.
It's your responsibility to figure out your child rearing needs and deal with them.
An emergency here and there, fine; a general practice, not so fine.

You chose to have kids. Figure it out.
I blame management if it is allowed to happen, and it really becomes an issue. If another employee is really having to pick up that much slack, then the boss should notice and do something about it. If you had an emergency and your boss let you leave early, wouldn't you leave?

IME it is PTO for the employee to take as wanted or needed. It shouldn't matter if it is for a sick kid or a vacation or a hair appointment or anything else.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I blame management if it is allowed to happen, and it really becomes an issue. If another employee is really having to pick up that much slack, then the boss should notice and do something about it. If you had an emergency and your boss let you leave early, wouldn't you leave?

IME it is PTO for the employee to take as wanted or needed. It shouldn't matter if it is for a sick kid or a vacation or a hair appointment or anything else.
I agree that it's a management problem.
My original post said emergency here and there and I'll stand by that.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Not all people. Just some people, with very poor work ethics. If you want to be a SAHM, stay at home! No, they want it all now. Flexibility, money, kids....work takes a back seat.

I have a co worker who comes in late, leaves early, constantly gone. Oh, I had a supervisor who turned her office into a daycare for her kids, but other people's children were "interfering" with work. Whatever. She was useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment