Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Sorry, I will judge.
It's your responsibility to figure out your child rearing needs and deal with them.
An emergency here and there, fine; a general practice, not so fine.

You chose to have kids. Figure it out.

Again, read my post. I did figure it out. I don't put the onus of my workload on anyone else. I work earlier, later or weekends to get work done when needed.

You mentioned one coworker that had an emergency and asked for your help. If your coworkers are completing their work, it's managements problem not yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Again, read my post. I did figure it out. I don't put the onus of my workload on anyone else. I work earlier, later or weekends to get work done when needed.

You mentioned one coworker that had an emergency and asked for your help. If your coworkers are completing their work, it's managements problem not yours.
I responded to your comment. Period.
You're not special because you have kids.
If the office doesn't offer flex hours for all, why would you expect to have flex hours?
Because you have kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Your coworker had no right to be angry at you, especially since you were doing her a favor. However, until you have kids don't judge. I used to despise coworkers with kids that pulled the same stuff. Then I had children, and now I get it. There are times you need to leave for your kids. They come first, no matter what. I manage my time differently. Taking some work home, coming in early etc. Things some wouldn't notice.

Last week in the wake of Newtown's shooting I asked my boss to leave early to meet my kids off the bus and just hug them. She was very understanding (no kids of her own). Until you have kids, it is truly hard to judge.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah.
People bail earlier, show up later, etc...all citing the kid.
I would love to cite my dog's doctor's appointment for the reason I did the same, but that's somehow 'different.'

Btw, I have a kid now and I still don't bail.
My choice to have a child is not someone else's problem.
True -- and as a parent what irks me a lot are those other parents who think they can bail out any time using their children as an excuse and figure everyone else has to pick up their slack -- including other parents.

Some women will take a 3 month leisurely maternity leave -- and completely do not care that other parents will go without any time off with their children. It's a me, me, me attitude out there and it extends to them thinking their time with their children is all that counts, other parents can give up vacation and days off to accomodate them. Not to mention their attitude that childless people can go without any life.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM

126 posts, read 429,732 times
Like the OP I'm in my 30s and don't have kids. I work full time. And yes I judge workplace parents without apology. Your crumb snatchers, your problem.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,486,206 times
I have a kid with another on the way. People who constantly use kids as an excuse to not pull their weight, or never help when others need help, but expect help themselves, get on my nerves.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
I responded to your comment. Period.
You're not special because you have kids.
If the office doesn't offer flex hours for all, why would you expect to have flex hours?
Because you have kids?
Who said they did? Again, that is a management issue. If I can flex to go pick up my sick kid, then you can flex to go to the gym or whatever else you have going on. If you can't, take it up with your supervisor.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:57 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Who said they did? Again, that is a management issue. If I can flex to go pick up my sick kid, then you can flex to go to the gym or whatever else you have going on. If you can't, take it up with your supervisor.
Ah, didn't bother to read the post I was responding to.
I see.
Blame everyone except those who expect special treatment.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Ah, didn't bother to read the post I was responding to.
I see.
Blame everyone except those who expect special treatment.
um, yes I read the post you were responding to. The poster said she flexes her time. She never said other aren't allowed to do the same. See, that's why I asked "who said they did?" It isn't special treatment if everyone can do it.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Is it like this at your work place?

Today I encountered a full time co worker who begged me to come in early as our work was backed up from the previous day. She was angry at me today because I "only came in 2 hours and 15 minutes before my original scheduled start time for today at 745.I am sceehduled to come in at 10am today.. ..
Next time she is angry, ask for a 4 way discussion, you, her, boss, H/R manager.

Expose her for the slacker she is..publicly.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
Shouldn't that be IF you have kids? I wish people would stop saying when you have kids or wait until you have kids. No on is guaranteed anything. I do agree if you can't handle work and kids to stay at home. At least try to make balance. Then why is it always the mother taking off early?
Corrected. IF someone chooses to have children. Agreed, there has to be a balance of work/home/children if that's the road you decide to take. Many employers offer flex-time for just such emergencies, but some emergencies go beyond the scope of flex-time, which will put other workers in a bind. Not saying it would happen all the time, but with babies, toddlers and young children, nothing is ever carved in stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment