Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
There's no guarantee that will work as there are many more job seekers than positions available.
There is a pretty high guarantee you won't get a better job if you do nothing.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:59 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Wouldn't the effort spent doing all that be put to better use training yourself in skills that you could use to find a job?
Name the skills you feel are employable that I should have. I wouldn't be surprised if you regurgitate whats on my reaume already.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Name the skills you feel are employable that I should have. I wouldn't be surprised if you regurgitate whats on my reaume already.
What field are you in?

Old 06-26-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
You make some good points, I hope some were facetious. Every adult should have their own housing, for many there are no free options other than homelessness, which for a woman could easily have tragic consequences, even death. Most won't die without it, but we can't promote the idea that being able to afford housing isn't a necessity.

I also cannot agree that health insurance is a luxury. If you are in an accident, the taxpayers will be footing the bill which could reach millions, and if someone w/o insurance lets symptoms go it can end up in a chronic illness that costs a fortune over a lifetime. If they already have an illness that would greatly increase their cost of living. Our health care in this country is absurd and terribly flawed, but at this point health insurance is a necessity.
Facetious? Not really. That's been my life since 2007. I haven't had a checkup in 6.5 years. Haven't been able to afford rented rooms in 2.5 years. No health insurance either. I rarely get sick. If I get a disease, oh well, my mortality rate will be high. Sometimes life gives you lemons. For now, I just have to outlive the sting.

Staying up all night scavenging for loose change on the streets is very humbling. Luckily I'm not back to that point yet, but if I get to that point again at least I know how to work with it.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What field are you in?
I don't have a field. I'm a fresh college graduate that studied theater. I thought we were talking about skills? Ask about specific skills you think will translate to employment.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Facetious? Not really. That's been my life since 2007. I haven't had a checkup in 6.5 years. Haven't been able to afford rented rooms in 2.5 years. No health insurance either. I rarely get sick. If I get a disease, oh well, my mortality rate will be high. Sometimes life gives you lemons. For now, I just have to outlive the sting.

Staying up all night scavenging for loose change on the streets is very humbling. Luckily I'm not back to that point yet, but if I get to that point again at least I know how to work with it.
Ae you saying you can't find a full time job with health insurance that would allow you to at least rent a room? If that's the case, it's not okay and not something we should be accepting in a matter fact way in this country. If it's just a fun adventure that's one thing, but a woman with no family could not safely live that way.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Ae you saying you can't find a full time job with health insurance that would allow you to at least rent a room? If that's the case, it's not okay and not something we should be accepting in a matter fact way in this country. If it's just a fun adventure that's one thing, but a woman with no family could not safely live that way.
That's correct. At least until that healthcare thing requires part time workers to have insurance, but there's been a rise in contract jobs, recruiter usage and "short hour" positions which can evade that I think. Short hour is terrible. 1,000 hours per calendar year maximum. They don't let you control your schedule either so having a 2nd job is difficult, especially if its for a store with a conflict of interest contract (no working for stores that sell anything similar to what we sell.)

My living situation is pathetic right now but once I get a call back to work somewhere my girlfriend and I should be able to afford a room somewhere on our own, lol.

Anyway, I know we "shouldn't accept it" but some of us don't have a choice right now.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:32 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
That's correct. At least until that healthcare thing requires part time workers to have insurance, but there's been a rise in contract jobs, recruiter usage and "short hour" positions which can evade that I think. Short hour is terrible. 1,000 hours per calendar year maximum. They don't let you control your schedule either so having a 2nd job is difficult, especially if its for a store with a conflict of interest contract (no working for stores that sell anything similar to what we sell.)

Anyway, I know we "shouldn't accept it" but some of us don't have a choice right now.
I meant the rest of us shouldn't accept it, that's why I thought your post might be facetious as a way to point out how ridiculous things have become. If it's your life one has no choice but to accept it, but it really posses me off if that's the case in this supposedly "great" country.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:43 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,687 times
Quote:
I meant the rest of us shouldn't accept it, that's why I thought your post might be facetious as a way to point out how ridiculous things have become. If it's your life one has no choice but to accept it, but it really posses me off if that's the case in this supposedly "great" country.
There are a lot of people in a similar situation. There simply aren't enough jobs to go around.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:48 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
I don't have a field. I'm a fresh college graduate that studied theater. I thought we were talking about skills? Ask about specific skills you think will translate to employment.
Skills are vague and are usually not fully developed by academic training.

Let's use time management as an example. In an academic setting you work to a deadline at the end of the semester. In a work setting you may have several different projects due at different times. Academically you have the freedom to do your work at almost any time of day or night and attendance policies may be lax. The work environment demands that your work is done between 9-5 and attendance and punctuality are critical.

I could go on, but I think that my example demonstrates that experience in school develops skills that are only loosely analogous to a work setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment