Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 01:40 PM

85 posts, read 151,504 times

Advertisements

NJ - how do you feel about non-competes?

Old 02-09-2014, 01:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderandprobablywiser View Post
I don't think anyone is advocating that "dead wood" needs kept at a company. The issue really revolves around what "dead wood" actually means.

Someone above 55 is dead wood? Why? Because they demand a salary commensurate with their experience? Because they have normal things like a house payment, car payment, children, etc.? Because it will cost the company a little more? I'm not an H1-B that will work for $32k a year. Oh, sorry about that, I have bills to pay and speak fluent English. You want to be able to fire me anytime and force me to sign a restrictive non-compete? Sounds great, where can I sign? Jeesh. Who would want to work at a place like yours anyway?
If the person above 55 is providing the business a great value, then they are worth holding on to. Experience is only great until a certain point. 30 years of experience doing something the old way is not necessarily better than someone who has 5 years of experience doing something the new way.

If you want to keep your job, make yourself valuable to the company. I work with a guy who is well into his 60s. He's incredible at his job... better than us relatively younger folks. Why? Because he made himself valuable. In the last 10 years, he's improved several processes, earned his PhD in the field, and maintained a high quality and positive attitude.

The other flip side is that someone with 30 years of experience knows a lot more about an industry than someone with 5 years of experience. If they are competent, they can go out and make it on their own without needing an employer. That's not true of someone with little experience.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times
Quote:
NJ - how do you feel about non-competes?
Fine, as long as they are not too restrictive. I've had non-competes most of my career. From simple ones to complex ones. I've never had problem with them.

I had one when I worked at Google, Inc. I had one when I worked at Twitter, Inc. They were both small companies at the time and there were stock options involved. I work at a large company now and I don't have a non-compete.

I know that I've worked really hard to make myself appeal to employers. I've worked hard to make myself stand out. I know that what I've put in, will pay off. I'm confident that if an employer really wants me, they will pay off the non-compete.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,526,989 times
Quote:
I'm not an H1-B that will work for $32k a year. Oh, sorry about that, I have bills to pay and speak fluent English. You want to be able to fire me anytime and force me to sign a restrictive non-compete? Sounds great, where can I sign? Jeesh. Who would want to work at a place like yours anyway?

And companies wonder why employees aren't loyal? Ha! You HR guys are giving some great examples of why the attitude is take the money and run. It's that way because the employees have literally no choice. They could be fired next quarter for no reason or fault of their own. And if HR thinks its tough to find good employees, finding a good employer isn't exactly a cake walk.
Who says a replacement worker will automatically be someone on an H1-B visa?

Also, what percentage of industries ask terminated workers to sign a non-compete? A very small percentage.

What is this "loyalty" you speak of? No company asks for "loyalty." They ask for employees to come in, do their job, and then go home. Like I've said before, folks should work on the basis of reciprocity. Give to the company what they would give to you. Loyalty doesn't come into play.

I'm still surprised at so many unrealistic expectations and so much unwarranted anger people have towards their employers.

All these foolish notions of being valued, loyalty, etc.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:38 PM

361 posts, read 922,843 times
Quote:
Didn't Clinton sign NAFTA?
That's the hilarious thing about the unions. They are indeed "blindly" Democratic voters as one poster already pointed out. It's because of their blind faith that they're routinely abused by the very leftists they put into power. There's no incentive for the Democrats to listen to the unions anymore because they know that they'll get 95% of the union vote no matter what they do. So just pay some lip service to the unions and say some stuff about "change" while taking in money from big business all the while. Works every time and the unions and working class folks keep getting screwed.

The fact that most Democratic voters think Gay Marriage is unequivocally the most important issue the human race has ever encountered doesn't help much either. This is largely a result of the media and it's brainwashing of the average person. Better to keep the public focused on (or blinded by, rather) trivial issues than actually thinking about why they're economically powerless.

So long as the little people are at each others throats over these fluffy, cuddly social issues the real power structure is never challenged.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:29 PM

4,626 posts, read 12,307,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
That's the hilarious thing about the unions. They are indeed "blindly" Democratic voters as one poster already pointed out. It's because of their blind faith that they're routinely abused by the very leftists they put into power. There's no incentive for the Democrats to listen to the unions anymore because they know that they'll get 95% of the union vote no matter what they do. So just pay some lip service to the unions and say some stuff about "change" while taking in money from big business all the while. Works every time and the unions and working class folks keep getting screwed.

The fact that most Democratic voters think Gay Marriage is unequivocally the most important issue the human race has ever encountered doesn't help much either. This is largely a result of the media and it's brainwashing of the average person. Better to keep the public focused on (or blinded by, rather) trivial issues than actually thinking about why they're economically powerless.

So long as the little people are at each others throats over these fluffy, cuddly social issues the real power structure is never challenged.
If you'd get off your political high horse, and were intelligent enough to understand the real reason union members vote democratic some times is because they champion laws intended too support unions. Republicans have been anti working class, and anti union for years attacking prevailing wage (Davis Bacon), and recently Paul Ryan called for eliminating overtime, and the 40 hr week. My union did support Bush in the 2004 election, so there goes your blind theory.

Gay marriage is really more about all being created equal, and has support of both parties other than the religious right.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
My union did support Bush in the 2004 election, so there goes your blind theory.
Your union supported Bush even though the Republicans are "anti-union and anti-working class"?

Solid.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:41 PM

85 posts, read 151,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
If you'd get off your political high horse, and were intelligent enough to understand the real reason union members vote democratic some times is because they champion laws intended too support unions. Republicans have been anti working class, and anti union for years attacking prevailing wage (Davis Bacon), and recently Paul Ryan called for eliminating overtime, and the 40 hr week. My union did support Bush in the 2004 election, so there goes your blind theory.

Gay marriage is really more about all being created equal, and has support of both parties other than the religious right.

And yet I just showed you how Clinton signed NAFTA and gave China most favored trading status, two of the biggest nails ever driven into the union coffins.

Speaking of which, did Obama or his democratically controlled Congress do anything to relieve the trade deficit with China? Nope, instead he pushed through healthcare (which few wanted) and declared a war on coal to kill even more union jobs.

I honestly cannot understand why unions believe democrats care about them based on this record. I'm not saying Republicans have been better, but instead of blindly following a party, wouldn't it be smarter to call these guys out and force your numbers to make an impact for either side. That way you play them off of each other and maybe you get a bit more of what's good for the U.S.?

Old 02-09-2014, 03:44 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,313,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post

If you think the Democrats are any better than the Repubicans....

Like I have said in other places, other than a few hot button social issues, you couldn't tell the difference between either party.

Democrats can "champion" all the worker causes all they want, but they have a plank in their own eye. Hell, Nancy Pelosi sees nothing wrong with "insider trading" by members of Congress. And I've heard of Diane Fienstein's husband has profited off of bills she sponsors/votes for. So much for sticking up for the little guy.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
And yet I just showed you how Clinton signed NAFTA and gave China most favored trading status, two of the biggest nails ever driven into the union coffins.

Speaking of which, did Obama or his democratically controlled Congress do anything to relieve the trade deficit with China? Nope, instead he pushed through healthcare (which few wanted) and declared a war on coal to kill even more union jobs.

I honestly cannot understand why unions believe democrats care about them based on this record. I'm not saying Republicans have been better, but instead of blindly following a party, wouldn't it be smarter to call these guys out and force your numbers to make an impact for either side. That way you play them off of each other and maybe you get a bit more of what's good for the U.S.?
I don't understand it either. Not to mention the devastating impact cheap Mexican labor has had on the unions and working class folks. That's the Republican's fault too, but right beside them are the liberals ready to destroy anyone that questions illegal immigration with cries of "racism" and the like.

There's no getting through to these union people though and no amount of facts or just plain common sense will ever shake them from their faith in the Democrats. It's really much like a religion in that respect. Requires one to completely shut ones brain off from the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment