Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:15 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,646,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
How about punishing those who abuse it, instead of making life miserable for EVERY worker? But then again, I suppose you pro-corporate types get more jollies out of punishing as many as possible to show off how powerful you are Each day america gets worse and worse.

No way U$A!!

Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 07:04 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,240,864 times
If this is the company: Wastewater - Pond Liners - Geomembranes; they pride themselves on contaminate solutions - just don't contaminate their bathrooms! Of course contamination has to go someplace. Like others have already pointed out, if you don't have time, you don't wash your hands. If that is the company; I don't think I would be quick to buy any faucets.

But, on bathroom breaks being abused; it is always a game between management and some lazy employees. Sometimes it isn't laziness - it is just the employees are moon-lighting on other jobs to make ends meet (they are tired - not really an excuse). It doesn't matter whether your talking about bathroom breaks, break breaks or lunch breaks - somebody will push the limits. The company, in turn, will fight back. Many times innocent, hard working, employees will pay the ultimate price for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It could be our laws today and why it is so hard to fire one particular individual?

Old 09-08-2014, 04:27 PM

435 posts, read 637,221 times
What's next, are they going to install video cams in the bathrooms to spy on people?

Old 09-08-2014, 04:34 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,762,323 times
wow so you get a gift card but then you will have to go to the hospital for impacted **** from holding it in
or kidney damage from holding it in

Old 09-08-2014, 04:43 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,240,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
What's next, are they going to install video cams in the bathrooms to spy on people?
Back in 2001 the Teamsters sued Consolidated Freight because of cameras in the bathrooms in Southern California: CRAMER v. CONSOLIDATED FREIGHTWAYS INC - FindLaw. The union lost!

Old 09-08-2014, 11:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,552,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
What about pregnant women or women who are menstruating? Those are situations where you need a lot more bathroom breaks than usual!

Which reminds me.... One summer during college, I worked in a call center. It was hell. Every minute was accounted for. We had to toggle a setting on a time clock to a different setting depending on if we were on an inbound call, a call-back, in a meeting, taking training, had system issues, were mentoring, etc. There was also a setting for bathroom breaks.

Management reviewed this data and would call you out for discrepancies, i.e., if you routinely took twice as long as the rest of your team for the exact same 30 minute team meeting. My manager once called me into his office to chastise me about the fact that once a month, I took twice as many bathroom breaks as usual. Then, he turned pink with embarrassment as he realized exactly what was going on.
Good!

Old 09-09-2014, 12:11 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,228,370 times
For a typical person on a typical day, 6 minutes is plenty. It's the atypical day (or person) where this policy is unforgiving.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:32 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,762,870 times
I thought this was pretty common in phone rooms, I know the 2 call centers I have worked in throughout my life had this same type of policy, whether it was 2 minutes in between breaks where you could not be available or on the phone or a total of 5 minutes down time outside of breaks they are all very strict on any extra breaks. Which could be the whole reason I have worked a combined 5 months in phone rooms.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:55 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,457,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
What about pregnant women or women who are menstruating? Those are situations where you need a lot more bathroom breaks than usual!

Which reminds me.... One summer during college, I worked in a call center. It was hell. Every minute was accounted for. We had to toggle a setting on a time clock to a different setting depending on if we were on an inbound call, a call-back, in a meeting, taking training, had system issues, were mentoring, etc. There was also a setting for bathroom breaks.

Management reviewed this data and would call you out for discrepancies, i.e., if you routinely took twice as long as the rest of your team for the exact same 30 minute team meeting. My manager once called me into his office to chastise me about the fact that once a month, I took twice as many bathroom breaks as usual. Then, he turned pink with embarrassment as he realized exactly what was going on.
Exactly what I was thinking!! You can't expect someone who has her monthly visitor only 6 mins a day in the bathroom or women who are expecting especially in third trimester!

Wow - that is insane that you were called out, I'm glad he figured it out though and was embarrassed... he deserved to be!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:23 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,532,174 times
that policy is meant to weed out women. Older people as well. I'm just curious what the demographics of that workplace actually are. I think the EEOC might have issues with this employer, as the policy clearly targets people of a specific gender and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment