Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:20 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trembler View Post
Why do you work at such a terrible job in slave conditions?
I ask myself that sometimes. One of these days I'm just gonna walk out and stop paying my bills. To eat I'll just stand outside one of those fancy grocery stores asking for some cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,096,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
I'll bet management can take all the time they like in the john.
Well, CEO Kersten costs about 70 cents a second. So assuming that he wipes 7 times per bowel movement, then each cleaning-up session costs, what? $8? He could instead, outsource the job to much cheaper labor, perhaps an intern, who could wipe his butt for less than a dollar.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Then they need to target the bathroom "offenders" instead of making everyone suffer.
I agree, but the fear of lawsuits makes employers loathe to take action against specific persons, particularly without LOTS of documentation to back them up.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:19 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I would ignore this. I don't need a gift card and I'm not a trained seal. If someone didn't think I was doing a good job they could fire me. If they like the work I was doing but they complained about "bathroom breaks" I'd tell them they could fire me...or shut up about it. Seriously, I'm way too old to play reindeer games with idiots.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:28 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Often times, these policies are "rope ins" for the few bad apples. Putting a swipe card would certainly be overboard if that was the case.

I don't get places that have these policies... do employees get reprimanded if they were at their desk sending a text or playing a game on their cell phones? If it's excessive, I can understand that. But I hear some places have super strict rules where almost no amount of texting or checking voicemail is allowed

It reminds me of a job where someone who had "diplomatic immunity" would tattle on others for weaning jeans and spending a lot of time away from their desk (some of us did go to the computer lab) when he himself did the same things. He also played games on his Iphone, and used his computer for clearly non-work stuff. And he made a big stink when we didn't get the cubicle in the back in a raffle (so it'd be easier to do these things without getting noticed, although we all could hear him when he was showing his cube mate texts from this girlfriend). This sort of arrangement isn't fair, but eh, I've learned work is typically not fair.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Don't abuse things.
How about punishing those who abuse it, instead of making life miserable for EVERY worker? But then again, I suppose you pro-corporate types get more jollies out of punishing as many as possible to show off how powerful you are Each day america gets worse and worse.

No way U$A!!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:45 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree. Sounds like a prison camp and the employer is a huge tool for making a rule like this. What's next? Water-boarding for using too many paper clips?

Totally not normal and not reflective of most employers thankfully, Even with it being an employers market today.

What would happen if someone used too much TP while in there- does some big guy come in and give you a swirlie???? Bet the pro-corporate drones would salivate over that thought!

Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 PM

212 posts, read 689,080 times
Another cowardly tactic put in place by spineless managers. They don't have the gonads to confront the real abuser(s) in the workplace, so they decide to go for the cop-out route and punish everyone with "new policies".

Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
I'll bet management can take all the time they like in the john.
Not that I agree with the policy being discussed here, but there is a big difference between hourly employees (who are specifically being paid for every minute they are on the clock, and who get to go home at their precise time and not take work home with them), and management, who make the same amount of money whether they work 10 hours a day or 18 hours a day, or whether they get called back in the middle of the night or have to come in for some emergency on the weekend. I've been both, and I much prefer to be hourly (the pay works out better in my experiences).

Yes, hourly employers are expected to be productive (nearly) every minute they're on the clock (and they shouldn't abuse by playing iPhone games in the bathroom or taking numerous smoking breaks), but at least if they have to work extra hours they are paid (time and a half generally!)

Old 07-18-2014, 09:24 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,075 times
Of course they should go after the people who actually abuse this, but...

I find it humorous that some people in the thread apparently think people at this company do not get scheduled breaks and a lunch period, which are required by labor laws, and ONLY get 6 minutes off work each day.

Pee on your lunch break or in one of your scheduled breaks an you probably won't need to leave your desk again in between. If the times you do are not a regular occurrence there should be no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment