Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:59 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,354,192 times

Advertisements

That's usually all the time you need unless you eat Mexican food with lots of frijoles and jalapenos.
Then Dios mios, time will seem to come to a complete stop when you finally make it in there.
And don't strike any matchs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 03:12 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,681,604 times
You're supposed to listen to your body, not force it to fit some pre-ordained schedule. I'm sure breaks are given at assigned times.

This seems to be a rule that works against females and older people. Guys can wait, women are told not to because doing so can result in bladder infections. If someone is in their late 60's, early 70's, I'm not sure they can wait either.

You can bet the people who came up with this brilliant plan aren't timing their bathroom breaks.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:16 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
I would assume, in a unionized manufacturing environment, that they get two 15 minute breaks mid-morning and mid-afternoon, and a half hour for lunch. So there are three opportunities to use the facilities without tapping the 60 minute pool of other bathroom time.
If the breaks are staggered, maybe. If everyone gets a break at once, it's very likely there aren't enough places for everybody to finish in 15 minutes. Plus, plenty of people with no actual medical condition or disability need to pee more than every two hours, unless you count being a man over 60 or drinking lots of coffee as a "condition".

The fact that people who are apparently paid for managing a company are so bad at managing employees that they've decided their best alternative is to tracking time spent in the bathroom, that's the main problem.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:16 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,093,512 times
Don't abuse things.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,776,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
If the breaks are staggered, maybe. If everyone gets a break at once, it's very likely there aren't enough places for everybody to finish in 15 minutes. Plus, plenty of people with no actual medical condition or disability need to pee more than every two hours, unless you count being a man over 60 or drinking lots of coffee as a "condition".

The fact that people who are apparently paid for managing a company are so bad at managing employees that they've decided their best alternative is to tracking time spent in the bathroom, that's the main problem.
I don't consider age itself to be a condition, but the guy could have a condition that usually shows up later in life. If drinking too much coffee is causing the issue, the solution is to not drink so much coffee.

If you were a manufacturing business owner and noticed that employees seemed to be spending an inordinate amount of time away from their work station while on the clock, thus slowing production, what would you do to address the issue? Focus on the problem ones? Sure, but how do you identify them and document it without tracking? You can't just go firing people who "seem" to be abusing it - the union would have a field day with that.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, but the cat isn't going to like any of them.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:24 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,754,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
i don't understand how they expect people to be at work for 8 hours and not have to go to the bathroom at all.

if you drink water you will be in the bathroom 5 times a day. do they not want their employees to drink or eat anything all day, either?
What about pregnant women or women who are menstruating? Those are situations where you need a lot more bathroom breaks than usual!

Which reminds me.... One summer during college, I worked in a call center. It was hell. Every minute was accounted for. We had to toggle a setting on a time clock to a different setting depending on if we were on an inbound call, a call-back, in a meeting, taking training, had system issues, were mentoring, etc. There was also a setting for bathroom breaks.

Management reviewed this data and would call you out for discrepancies, i.e., if you routinely took twice as long as the rest of your team for the exact same 30 minute team meeting. My manager once called me into his office to chastise me about the fact that once a month, I took twice as many bathroom breaks as usual. Then, he turned pink with embarrassment as he realized exactly what was going on.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,552,632 times
I just hope every employee goes to the bathroom, runs out of time, bypasses hand-washing, and stops by the boss's office to shake hands.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:30 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,569,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
I would assume, in a unionized manufacturing environment, that they get two 15 minute breaks mid-morning and mid-afternoon, and a half hour for lunch. So there are three opportunities to use the facilities without tapping the 60 minute pool of other bathroom time. Those minutes can be saved for those occasions where nature calls urgently, which are hopefully few and far between.

If someone has a medical condition or disability where they need a reasonable accommodation that involves exceeding that time on a regular basis, they should make the employer aware of that. The article posted doesn't mention how the company would handle such a request, but one would hope they would at least comply with the ADA.
then then watch them get fired for said medical condition.

you know , time and health insurance premiums.

let's just submit to DNA testing at the beginning of employment.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:06 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,579,068 times
In my old office, we had an assistant manager that always came at 7 sharp. And everyday at 705 he would go to the bathroom and stay there until 730 or so. We would look at each other and giggle every time he left his office at 705 because we all knew where he would go for the next 30 minutes or so.

It was a friendly enough place that we all got to make fun of him right in front of him at some point.

Personally, I think every work place should be as relaxed as our company. We're all professionals here. Each one of us makes a ton of money for the company. No need to get stressed over petty things like bathroom breaks.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:16 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,530,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're supposed to listen to your body, not force it to fit some pre-ordained schedule. I'm sure breaks are given at assigned times.

This seems to be a rule that works against females and older people. Guys can wait, women are told not to because doing so can result in bladder infections. If someone is in their late 60's, early 70's, I'm not sure they can wait either.

You can bet the people who came up with this brilliant plan aren't timing their bathroom breaks.
Let's discuss basic biology. Women naturally frequent the bathroom more often than men. Why? Because they have something called ovaries and a uterus.This female "plumbing" is located right above and over the bladder. During specific times of the month for every woman and during pregnancies, this anatomy expands and puts direct pressure over the bladder. Women who have had fibroids also go more frequently. Naturally women go to the bathroom more often than men! The only exception would be a male with a prostate problem. You cannot time any of this. Older menopausal and post menopausal women sometimes frequent the restroom more as well because the bladder muscles change with age. Biology 101. That company policy is somewhat discriminatory against older people and women in general.

What I am describing is medical fact. This employer sounds like a sadistic Nazi.
I think they're SICK people. There is a special place in hell for an employer like that. I hope the guy gets a prostate problem or the woman gets some uterine problem or incontinence.

Are they saving water? If an employee is productive and stellar? WHO Mod snip. CARES HOW OFTEN THAT PERSON GOES TO THE BATHROOM.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-17-2014 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment