Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 03:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Honestly, there are no jobs out there other than minimum wage slave labor. Yet, somehow I managed to land two offers with highly respectable companies with strong brands with pay close to 6 figures. And I already negotiated a 3 week vacation right off the bat instead of having to wait another 2 years in order to qualify for an extra week.

It's weird how this works. But I guess for someone who is hungry and wants to win, there are opportunities. And for the losers who only complain THERE Are just no jobs ouT THERE (((((((((((((((
So, now that you're done bragging, go enjoy your 3 week vacation!
The rest of us continue to deal with this:
Jose Zamora Changes Name to Joe, Gets Job Offers : People.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 03:47 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,317 times
Quote:
Honestly, there are no jobs out there other than minimum wage slave labor. Yet, somehow I managed to land two offers with highly respectable companies with strong brands with pay close to 6 figures. And I already negotiated a 3 week vacation right off the bat instead of having to wait another 2 years in order to qualify for an extra week.

It's weird how this works. But I guess for someone who is hungry and wants to win, there are opportunities. And for the losers who only complain THERE Are just no jobs ouT THERE (((((((((((((((
Congratulations, I now pronounce you the all-American boy.

Take two Norman Rockwells out of petty cash.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:06 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I literally met a community college dropout who went to a work skills class, got an internship with a top tier tech company. Did well, got another internship at an up and coming big name tech company. And just started full time at the company.
Thank you so much for sharing this story. It's very inspiring to hear other success stories of college dropouts attending work skills class!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:28 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Oh you're talking about basically a similar thing to the bridges program which I did actually take. What a joke that was. They made up a resume for me and had this group exercise but there was no focus on looking for jobs.
You attended program with no focus on looking for jobs. I am talking about a program that's focused on finding jobs. There's a disconnect here. If you are searching for reasons to not take career/pesonal development classes such as "Cost Money", "There are no clubs.", etc. If those statements are working out for your job hunt, good for you. Otherwise, 100 mock interviews with strangers has worked for many people.

It was a gold mine for the participants in our FREE class.

A year after the program, I was talking about the program with one of the students, a 55 year old woman with no college degree. She had flourished in the new job that she acquired, during the program. She had outgrown the responsibilities and was ready for next big salary increase, so she was starting a new job hunt!

Those 100+ mock interviews really opened my eyes to some weaknesses and tighten up my resume and interviews. It's been 5 years, since I finished it. I worked out another $20k increase in a new job hunt, 3 years ago. I received a promotion also. Now, I am making about $90k. I am itching to make another move in 2 years to hit 6-figures.

That's not bad for HS grad with no college degree that attended a FREE class that "costs money".

Old 09-05-2014, 06:23 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Congratulations, I now pronounce you the all-American boy.

Take two Norman Rockwells out of petty cash.
And don't forget to turn the lights out after your 60-hour work week ...

Old 09-05-2014, 06:42 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Ah the old I got mine now screw off mantra. People like the OP will be right there with you complaining about the jobs outlook, until they finally find a job. Then suddenly everyone else is a loser because they couldn't find one.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:51 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,576 times
Ok, ok. I do apologize for how my post came across but I intentionally wrote this because apparently I did everything that according to this forum "doesn't work anymore" and I got a job. And the thing is, when I was trying to apply the conventional way, I was getting nowhere like many frustrated forumites on here.

For example, I fluffed my resume as much as I could. I never lied on it and I never will, but I did not take the humble approach. I make sure that everything I say on my resume is with a focus on the employer. What I can do for them and how I can earn them money. It's not about me. I think of it this way. I am a product I am trying to sell. If you want to buy a new car, for example, do you really care if the sales rep tells you about his goals, and the goals of the Car Company CEO, and their history, etc. Nooooo, you want to know what this car can do for you, what are the features and how they benefit you and can it get you home safe in one piece.

With that in mind, as I have said before, it is a buyer's market. It would be great if employers pursued us, but they are not, so we have to play their game. They are the ones hiring and we are the ones looking for jobs. Honestly, they can get away with more than we can. That being said, if you are out of work stop focusing so much on pay, hours, commute, vacation time, etc. You need a job and you need to work. If you are not working, then looking for a job is your job. Taking a job you think is beneath you is better than sitting on your butt all day earning nothing and spending more money.

Now, the really fun part, is the whole attitude thing. Earlier this year I took a job I was very excited about but quickly discovered it wasn't a great fit. So I started looking. Here and there, applying for jobs when I had some time, etc, etc. Nothing happened. No responses, no calls, no interviews. I was getting depressed. I would look on this forum and see posts blaming employers, blaming HR, how terrible the economy is, how we are all doomed to work min wage jobs and how even these jobs are hard to find. There is no work, whatever work there is is close to slave labor, blah, blah, blah. You know the whole spiel. So posts like that confirmed the way I was feeling and I become even more resigned, negative and cynical and the chip on my shoulder was getting bigger than my head.

Honestly, all of this is NO good. Yes, the economy is tough, yes, there is competition and not enough jobs for everyone. I don't really care if Joe Shmoe is out of work, I need work and I need it now. I took responsibility for myself, instead of using the general economy as an excuse for not accomplishing anything. I committed to getting work and to being better than anyone that an employer may consider for this job. It takes real commitment and it takes being sold on yourself. If you walk around telling yourself you are such a loser, guess what.. Everyone else will take a clue from you and think you are a loser. Unless deep inside you feel you are the best employee ever and can earn or save the company tons of money, then you are out of luck. You are not competitive and you will not get a job. Now, I am not saying that this will save the country and everyone will be prosperous and working good jobs. Right now I care only about me and my family not about everyone else. Everyone else is my competition and honestly, I am glad that there are folks out there who are resigned, who live with mom and dad and who don't even try anymore because it means less competition for me. It means I have better chances for success.

Speaking of family. There seems to be a mix in the forum, folks with kids, and young people. I have no kids, but I am engaged and I have extended family that I need to take care of. This motivates me. I cannot afford to slack, I cannot afford to go to my mom's basement (she doesn't have one, she doesn't even live in this country). This motivates me to no end. I have a duty and a responsibility to my family. That is why often immigrants are such hard workers. They are desperate, they need to send money back home and they have very little choices or places to fall back on. Most of all, they don't really want to go back to their countries so they have to make it.

Now, about the actual job search. The way I got my current offer/s. I e-mailed the hiring manager directly. I did some research and sent a blind e-mail to someone who had the same job title as the one indicated as the supervisor in the job ad. I was right. Even if I weren't, I asked nicely if they could forward me to the right person. Guess what, I had applied to this job 1.5 months prior, same resume, same everything and never got a response. I contacted the hiring manager directly and they responded.

So you have to do things unconventionally sometimes, including reaching out to hiring managers and decision makers. Have your elevator pitch down to a science. You have to be able to tell someone over the phone or in person in 30 seconds or less why they should hire you.

Once I was in for an interview, I sold the heck out of myself. I made sure when I left or got off the phone with them their head was spinning and they were saying "Who the heck was that guy, I need him right now". I even met with a Managing Director at the company, who doesn't usually interview people and blew his mind. I didn't tell him, hey I am a diligent employee, I come on time and fill out my Excel spreadsheets, I work hard. Nooooooooooo, I told him, this is how I can make you money, this is the approach I would take, this is how I would accomplish it. I had a business plan for the role before I even walked into his office. Wow, so unconventional. The point is, I needed to make sure I was better than anyone else who could walk into this office and try to get the job I was aiming for.

Now, I am sure that there will be a litany of folks who will respond and say, "This doesn't work anymore", "I tried this advice and it didn't work", "Wow, my grandpa told me got his job by walking up to his boss, hahahaha", or a multitude of other negative, dumbass comments. Don't listen to them. You don't need advice from the losers who couldn't make it. You need advice from the winners and those who were successful.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:12 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:

Now, I am sure that there will be a litany of folks who will respond and say, "This doesn't work anymore", "I tried this advice and it didn't work", "Wow, my grandpa told me got his job by walking up to his boss, hahahaha", or a multitude of other negative, dumbass comments. Don't listen to them. You don't need advice from the losers who couldn't make it. You need advice from the winners and those who were successful.

This part I actually do agree with.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:27 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
OP, if you're bothered by the discussions on this forum so much, no one's forcing you to post or read the posts here. Whining about what other people say is no better than whatever you're whining about.

Simply click the "X" button in the top right corner of your page.
This is what I don't understand lol

Old 09-05-2014, 07:28 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:

Because in America we have a natural born need to fuel IGNORANCE!

Those stories are true...just because you haven't experience them that doesn't mean they were not true nor that they make someone a DUMBASS!

The only dumbass around is the one walking around without any empathy and with blinders on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment