Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 04:46 AM

219 posts, read 528,764 times

Advertisements

If you're in the Washington DC area--or are willing to move here--my employer is hiring and I'm hoping to find them new employees (I get a small bonus). It's armed security and there are a few requirements (US citizen, clean record, college degree and/OR 3 years of active military service). If you've been on a police force or worked in security you might also qualify. Send me a message and I'll gladly send you more info. There's a month of training at $7.25/hr but once you complete it and are on the contract, it jumps to $27-28/hr with an additional $4/hr going towards a healthcare plan or a 401k (not matched). Send me a message if interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:09 AM

3,730 posts, read 4,651,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Don't listen to the unemployed, underemployed and other such losers. You need a positive, nurturing environment. When you are out of work the first instinct is to get together with others who are out of work or ones who are unsatisfied with their present employment.

This is the biggest mistake ever. All they will do is make you feel bad about yourself, they will turn your attitude negative and bitter like 99% of posters on here. Don't listen to them. Listen only to the folks who have succeeded in getting a job. The rest is just noise/.

It's not what you say, but how you say it.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:54 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,718,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Some of you people just dont know what its like. I am literally trying everything to get a job. Writing great cover letters, getting my resume professionally reviewed to catch flaws, mock interviews, networking with people who have connections who say they will put in a good word for me. I spend literally 10 hrs a day trying to network, tweaking my resume and cover letters, looking for jobs...PLUS I live in the south in a rural area which makes it 5x as hard. It seems hopeless but I try to remain positive. I KNOW I am doing everything right but Im still getting crap from people even when I get excited about a job or idea all I hear is "you cant do that" "are you sure" I literally have ZERO support and it blows. I am 100% honestly doing my best. I believe it will pay off sooner or later.
I know exactly what it's like. And I'd venture to say many of us have been without a job at some point in our lives. I too came from a rural town in the South so I understand that aspect of it. It WILL pay off eventually but the absolute worst thing that you can do is be around others in the same boat who are negative and don't provide any value (even if it's just moral support) to your search.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:24 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,396,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Some of you people just dont know what its like. I am literally trying everything to get a job. Writing great cover letters, getting my resume professionally reviewed to catch flaws, mock interviews, networking with people who have connections who say they will put in a good word for me. I spend literally 10 hrs a day trying to network, tweaking my resume and cover letters, looking for jobs...PLUS I live in the south in a rural area which makes it 5x as hard. It seems hopeless but I try to remain positive. I KNOW I am doing everything right but Im still getting crap from people even when I get excited about a job or idea all I hear is "you cant do that" "are you sure" I literally have ZERO support and it blows. I am 100% honestly doing my best. I believe it will pay off sooner or later.
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment