Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:36 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,677,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Ignorance. Not looking passed their own noses. Lack of empathy.

The "assumption" itself that those unemployed must be bad people is asinine!

The op has already stated his post isn't directed toward people like this. Why do some of you keep acting like it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 AM

921 posts, read 1,134,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
There are jobs out there... many people aren't willing to take the "low end" jobs even if it is short-term while it's looking for a better paying long-term one.

I have my career job and I work part-time in the evenings Tuesday's - Friday's to make extra money... so I say thank you to those who feel that the lower end jobs are "below them". I'll take that extra money to the bank......
In reference to the "low end" jobs, it's not always the fact that people don't want them, most of the time the job doesn't want to hire highly qualified people. Before I landed my current position, I had over 25 job interviews during my 9 months of unemployment. I even had 2nd & 3rd interviews with some of them. A few of the "low end" jobs told me that I was over-qualified & they'd rather hire someone with less skills. So don't assume that people are not willing to take "low end" jobs. The hiring managers for those "low end" positions seem to be threatened by highly-qualified candidates!

Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,644,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Others complain about everything, all the time, 24/7 and nothing is ever their fault. They contribute to their own situation. Hopefully, you're gearing your post to them, although that's not clear.

Anyway, congrats and good luck!

Or they will present a different side to the argument when someone posts that they landed a job. They will claim that "it isn't as easy as it looks" or "not everyone has the same experience"

Okay that is well known, so why take a literal **** on someone who just happens to have some positive good news to share? They cannot be adults and say congrats and leave it at that. They might say congrats and then hone right on in with the negativity.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Or they will present a different side to the argument when someone posts that they landed a job. They will claim that "it isn't as easy as it looks" or "not everyone has the same experience"

Okay that is well known, so why take a literal **** on someone who just happens to have some positive good news to share? They cannot be adults and say congrats and leave it at that. They might say congrats and then hone right on in with the negativity.
When you do it with the sad face and pounding their chest and a mocking tone, it's hard to say congrats to said poster. That being said I wish staggerlee well and hopefully they are a little more personable than they are on here. Being like that long-term, is not good for job prospects.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:16 PM

217 posts, read 314,921 times
Cool story OP.... want to compare bank accounts?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:30 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,625,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Congrats! Many people never find out how much the soft skills matter in succeeding at work!
Is that another word for politically correct a$$ kissing? or is that queue for the boss's relatives?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:46 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,393,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
In reference to the "low end" jobs, it's not always the fact that people don't want them, most of the time the job doesn't want to hire highly qualified people. Before I landed my current position, I had over 25 job interviews during my 9 months of unemployment. I even had 2nd & 3rd interviews with some of them. A few of the "low end" jobs told me that I was over-qualified & they'd rather hire someone with less skills. So don't assume that people are not willing to take "low end" jobs. The hiring managers for those "low end" positions seem to be threatened by highly-qualified candidates!
This is very true, and I have run into this. If you are over 40, it's worse because employers want younger people.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:48 PM

921 posts, read 1,134,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Congrats! Many people never find out how much the soft skills matter in succeeding at work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Is that another word for politically correct a$$ kissing? or is that queue for the boss's relatives?
Great point! That's some folks secret ingredient to moving-up in today's economy!

Old 09-05-2014, 04:54 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,766,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
Well said.

And to add, even if those hiring managers aren't "threatened," they simply know you're going to jump ship as soon as possible, and they would have wasted money training you.

As you can see just by reading this forum, when people are sitting comfortably on their high horses and everything is suddenly right in their world, they have absolutely no shame in foolishly misjudging those who aren't as lucky as them.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:54 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,593,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Honestly, there are no jobs out there other than minimum wage slave labor. Yet, somehow I managed to land two offers with highly respectable companies with strong brands with pay close to 6 figures. And I already negotiated a 3 week vacation right off the bat instead of having to wait another 2 years in order to qualify for an extra week.

It's weird how this works. But I guess for someone who is hungry and wants to win, there are opportunities. And for the losers who only complain THERE Are just no jobs ouT THERE (((((((((((((((
Yay! Well, these are my assumptions about you:

You are male; it's easier for men to get high paying jobs from what I've observed. Almost every man I know has some kind of marketable skill, unless maybe he is lazy, unmotivated, addicted to alcohol, or on drugs. For women, though, it's another issue entirely. It seems like people would rather we work for free.
You are an outgoing extrovert; it's not easy for shy people, or maybe I should say so for those of us who are so shy it's like a personality disorder, to even communicate with people sometimes.
You are lucky; maybe you have better networking and social skills than the average Joe.

For the rest of us:
We have skills and knowledge on paper but may lack valuable work experience.
We actually need to work to support ourselves, and that means we have fewer hours to waste on free classes and networking.
We didn't major in a marketable field but are "over qualified" for the "low skills" jobs.
We don't have great "soft skills" and wouldn't know how to communicate our needs if our livelihood depended on it.
Employers in our area discriminate on race, gender, and sexual orientation.
What's the answer for the rest of us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment