Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:07 PM

38,926 posts, read 24,040,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
There are a lot of hungry people out there looking for jobs who want to win. You shouldn't brag and look down your nose at those who are unable to find jobs. Everyone's situation is different. The school you went to, the discipline you majored in, the degree(s) you have, the school you went to, the city or town you live in, all of these factors play a part in obtaining a job, what type of job, and how long it takes. Good that you got it but write back 3 months from now to update on your feelings about the job. It may not be all that you think it is now. Negotiating a 3-week vacation upon starting is very unusual for the average job but just keep in mind that nothing is free. A price is attached to everything in this world. You may come back from vacation and be so far behind in work that has piled up in your absence that it will make you feel as if you never had a vacation. I'm thankful for my employment because I love what I do but a few years ago I was in the very shoes that many here are in: unemployed (briefly for a few weeks)/underemployed (for a year). I was very hungry for work and wanted to be productive and have a winning lifestyle but instead I had to deal with many bull-crap fake job ads, fickle temp agencies, indecisive hiring managers, one manager lowering the rate of pay when she saw me in person because she thought I was younger than I really am, interviewers promising me they would call and never did, etc. Said all that to say, you were fortunate, perhaps even lucky, but don't think your opportunity is available for every job hunter in every job market in every city/town.
THIS, THIS is the problem with people like the OP. Not every situation in every city is the same for any given individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,603,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
I completely understand you and I feel for you. It is worth noting that my partner in life who is not only female but comes from a differnt country and ethnicity that most Americans not only outearns me 3 to 1 (if not more) but she is more educated and works way longer hours than me.

So if you seriously want to claim that in the 21st century being a woman stops you from having a good job, please be my guest, but I would encourage you to refer to my original post. Do you want to be a loser or do you want to believe in yourself to the point whete you are completely unreasonable? Its your choice.

In terms of being outgoing, on the contrary I am naturally an introvert and a homebody. I had to work hatd to be more outgoing and sociable. If hou ate commited to advanci in your career you can work around this issue and improve your outgoingness. But then again it is up to you if you want to feel pity for yourself or if you want to succeed.
No, a 21st century woman can get a good job, but she generally needs more education and a stronger resume. A woman who does not finish high school or only has a high school education is unlikely to be able to make more than minimum wage, while a man who drops out or only has a diploma is more likely to be able to qualify for labor and skilled trade positions, which pay much more than minimum wage. Labor and construction are heavily male dominated fields.

Consciously, that's not the attitude I display in the workplace much; teaching is a female dominated field, after all. I just have trouble feeling qualified. I almost have a master's degree, yet I get the impression that some college freshmen, or even high school students, feel more at ease delivering instruction than I do. Perhaps I just fail to see my own competencies, but it does stop me from feeling like I do the job well.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,148,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Honestly, there are no jobs out there other than minimum wage slave labor. Yet, somehow I managed to land two offers with highly respectable companies with strong brands with pay close to 6 figures. And I already negotiated a 3 week vacation right off the bat instead of having to wait another 2 years in order to qualify for an extra week.

It's weird how this works. But I guess for someone who is hungry and wants to win, there are opportunities. And for the losers who only complain THERE Are just no jobs ouT THERE (((((((((((((((
I used to think just like you when I had a good job and made 6 figures. I lived long enough to find out the hard way I was wrong and learn about real life outside my cushy office. I'm just glad I never put voice to those thoughts.

I hope you never have to eat those words. And may you have continued success.

I have learned to never ask for a bigger helping of bad Karma.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:01 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,165,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I used to think just like you when I had a good job and made 6 figures. I lived long enough to find out the hard way I was wrong and learn about real life outside my cushy office. I'm just glad I never put voice to those thoughts.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post36312076
Quote:
I did it for 15 years and that's enough. Plus I own a paid for home here. I can live here much cheaper than anywhere else!
That's all a personal choice not some act of karma. You didn't want to go back to the old life after 15 years. You are a prime example of person that made a good decision for her own life. Some people want the money, other's don't.

Last edited by move4ward; 09-05-2014 at 11:46 PM..

Old 09-05-2014, 11:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,035,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Is that another word for politically correct a$$ kissing? or is that queue for the boss's relatives?
Soft skills like project management, communicating, showing up on time, working with cross-functional teams, giving and taking feedback and many more.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:26 AM

928 posts, read 1,106,407 times
Quote:

You are missing the point of my post. I'm not bragging or beating my chest, I just want to point out to all the nay-sayers who love to discourage folks that it is absolutely possible to get a good job or a job in this economy. Plus apparently I did it by doing all these things that don't work anymore.

Perhaps the tone of my OP came across as harsh or condescending but it was really meant to poke fun of folks on here who want to recruit people for their pity parties. You know the ones - "omg, There are no jobs because of the immigrants, or because employers only hire their relatives, or insert any other excuse", "whats the point of college education if it can't guarantee you a job", or my favorite " yeah, you can't get a job cause you are too black, too hispanic, too white, too male or too female, so instead of trying to better your life just protest for increasing minimum wage cause that's going to magically solve all of your problems."

Old 09-06-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
No, a 21st century woman can get a good job, but she generally needs more education and a stronger resume. A woman who does not finish high school or only has a high school education is unlikely to be able to make more than minimum wage, while a man who drops out or only has a diploma is more likely to be able to qualify for labor and skilled trade positions, which pay much more than minimum wage. Labor and construction are heavily male dominated fields.

Consciously, that's not the attitude I display in the workplace much; teaching is a female dominated field, after all. I just have trouble feeling qualified. I almost have a master's degree, yet I get the impression that some college freshmen, or even high school students, feel more at ease delivering instruction than I do. Perhaps I just fail to see my own competencies, but it does stop me from feeling like I do the job well.
Your problem is not that you are a woman, but that your self-esteem is so low that you can't see beyond your own nose. Work on your confidence and most importantly work on being sold on yourself. You have to absolutely believe that you are the best ever employee for the job you are applying for and you honestly have to believe that if employers don't see that than they are the stupidest people on earth.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
There are a lot of hungry people out there looking for jobs who want to win. You shouldn't brag and look down your nose at those who are unable to find jobs. Everyone's situation is different. The school you went to, the discipline you majored in, the degree(s) you have, the school you went to, the city or town you live in, all of these factors play a part in obtaining a job, what type of job, and how long it takes. Good that you got it but write back 3 months from now to update on your feelings about the job. It may not be all that you think it is now. Negotiating a 3-week vacation upon starting is very unusual for the average job but just keep in mind that nothing is free. A price is attached to everything in this world. You may come back from vacation and be so far behind in work that has piled up in your absence that it will make you feel as if you never had a vacation. I'm thankful for my employment because I love what I do but a few years ago I was in the very shoes that many here are in: unemployed (briefly for a few weeks)/underemployed (for a year). I was very hungry for work and wanted to be productive and have a winning lifestyle but instead I had to deal with many bull-crap fake job ads, fickle temp agencies, indecisive hiring managers, one manager lowering the rate of pay when she saw me in person because she thought I was younger than I really am, interviewers promising me they would call and never did, etc. Said all that to say, you were fortunate, perhaps even lucky, but don't think your opportunity is available for every job hunter in every job market in every city/town.
So what solution do you propose? At least I shared what worked for me. What did you do other than criticize me and my situation although you know absolutely nothing about me or my background.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,166,701 times
I managed to wow the vp of operations of a large multi-state company by doing my job well. It was a crappy job, but I did it the best I could.

He asked me some questions and I answered them. He gave me a number to call. The union president. I got into the union, and into a great job within a week. All by taking some pride in my work, despite it being a crap job, and doing it well.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I managed to wow the vp of operations of a large multi-state company by doing my job well. It was a crappy job, but I did it the best I could.

He asked me some questions and I answered them. He gave me a number to call. The union president. I got into the union, and into a great job within a week. All by taking some pride in my work, despite it being a crap job, and doing it well.
Good for you. You also must have realized a very important fact - you need to side with the folks who can give you a job and open doors for upward movement, such as managers, VPs, CEOs, instead of siding with the disgruntled rank employees or worse, the unemployed who contaminate you with their negative attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment