Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:57 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,787,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Yay! Well, these are my assumptions about you:

You are male; it's easier for men to get high paying jobs from what I've observed. Almost every man I know has some kind of marketable skill, unless maybe he is lazy, unmotivated, addicted to alcohol, or on drugs. For women, though, it's another issue entirely. It seems like people would rather we work for free.
You are an outgoing extrovert; it's not easy for shy people, or maybe I should say so for those of us who are so shy it's like a personality disorder, to even communicate with people sometimes.
You are lucky; maybe you have better networking and social skills than the average Joe.

For the rest of us:
We have skills and knowledge on paper but may lack valuable work experience.
We actually need to work to support ourselves, and that means we have fewer hours to waste on free classes and networking.
We didn't major in a marketable field but are "over qualified" for the "low skills" jobs.
We don't have great "soft skills" and wouldn't know how to communicate our needs if our livelihood depended on it.
Employers in our area discriminate on race, gender, and sexual orientation.
What's the answer for the rest of us?
For your information, men face gender discrimination just like women in the work place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 05:23 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,603,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
For your information, men face gender discrimination just like women in the work place.
Point taken, sorry for generalizing...

Old 09-05-2014, 05:30 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,875,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post
Cool story OP.... want to compare bank accounts?
What, are you going to give him your bank account info?

Old 09-05-2014, 05:33 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,702,448 times
there are people out there that will sue you if you hire them or if you dont hire them.
either way its a law suit. btw its the same in the apt rental market.
what the recession of 2008 has done for employers is wonderful. got rid of mountains of dead wood without a law suit.
the employers are in no hurry to pick up some more dead wood or get more law suit happy employees. in fact many used the 2008 recession as a good excuse to off shore.
they off shored and they liked it $$$$$$
threatening me with law suits should not be part of the employer experience.
too many rotten employees use it as leverage.
same is true of bad renters.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:00 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,165,930 times
Quote:

You are male; it's easier for men to get high paying jobs from what I've observed. Almost every man I know has some kind of marketable skill, unless maybe he is lazy, unmotivated, addicted to alcohol, or on drugs. For women, though, it's another issue entirely. It seems like people would rather we work for free.
You are an outgoing extrovert; it's not easy for shy people, or maybe I should say so for those of us who are so shy it's like a personality disorder, to even communicate with people sometimes.
You are lucky; maybe you have better networking and social skills than the average Joe.

For the rest of us:
We actually need to work to support ourselves, and that means we have fewer hours to waste on free classes and networking.
We didn't major in a marketable field but are "over qualified" for the "low skills" jobs.
We don't have great "soft skills" and wouldn't know how to communicate our needs if our livelihood depended on it.
You are absolutely clueless. If you want to talk yourself and other women out of advancing, this is great advice.

I have met and worked with successful women in the corporate world including senior vice-presidents and executive vice presidents with 6-figure stock options(public info). They have higher paying jobs and positions, than the male poster in the original poster.

You won't listen to a man, because of your gender bias. If you want to open your eyes, go to the local woman's networking group. Talk to the ladies in the chamber of commerce. Try telling that crap to the successful women in the business world. They would not even consider mentoring you.

It has been an honor to work with these women and learn from the best.

I am amazed at the lack of life skills and self-pity throughout this thread. People can acheive a better career, but it's not going to happen with self-pity and searching for reasons to fail.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:15 PM

928 posts, read 1,106,407 times
Quote:

For the rest of us:
I completely understand you and I feel for you. It is worth noting that my partner in life who is not only female but comes from a differnt country and ethnicity that most Americans not only outearns me 3 to 1 (if not more) but she is more educated and works way longer hours than me.

So if you seriously want to claim that in the 21st century being a woman stops you from having a good job, please be my guest, but I would encourage you to refer to my original post. Do you want to be a loser or do you want to believe in yourself to the point whete you are completely unreasonable? Its your choice.

In terms of being outgoing, on the contrary I am naturally an introvert and a homebody. I had to work hatd to be more outgoing and sociable. If hou ate commited to advanci in your career you can work around this issue and improve your outgoingness. But then again it is up to you if you want to feel pity for yourself or if you want to succeed.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:59 PM

7,953 posts, read 7,893,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Well said.

And to add, even if those hiring managers aren't "threatened," they simply know you're going to jump ship as soon as possible, and they would have wasted money training you.
Not exactly. There is not a single study about overqualified employees actually doing that. Moreover who is to say that other employees won't do the same

You have to accept the fact that training is part of operating. Turnover is a fact of life just like succession planning.

Anything of training involves the possibility of finding out about other positions. You go to some session and meet people that work in other organizations, of course the topic of openings comes up

Unless someone is offered a long term contract then it is under the assumption that people might leave.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:04 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,787,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Not exactly. There is not a single study about overqualified employees actually doing that. Moreover who is to say that other employees won't do the same

You have to accept the fact that training is part of operating. Turnover is a fact of life just like succession planning.

Anything of training involves the possibility of finding out about other positions. You go to some session and meet people that work in other organizations, of course the topic of openings comes up

Unless someone is offered a long term contract then it is under the assumption that people might leave.
There doesn't have to be a study on it, it's common sense.

Sure, there's always the risk of turnover with any employee. But it's the hiring manager's job to find an employee who's LEAST likely to turn over. This is both to get a full return in their investment of the employee's training (by ensuring they're groomed into top performers) and to prevent from having to pay for training new employees so often.

Which employee would you rather hire if you're a fast food restaurant owner? Which employee would you think would be most likely to turn over? The laid off CPA with 15 years of experience and an MBA who won't be content with earning minimum wage to flip burgers, or someone who simply wants to earn a steady paycheck and has absolutely no ambition to become a manager or further their education.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:52 PM

2,929 posts, read 2,609,178 times
Default That's wrong...not losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Honestly, there are no jobs out there other than minimum wage slave labor. Yet, somehow I managed to land two offers with highly respectable companies with strong brands with pay close to 6 figures. And I already negotiated a 3 week vacation right off the bat instead of having to wait another 2 years in order to qualify for an extra week.

It's weird how this works. But I guess for someone who is hungry and wants to win, there are opportunities. And for the losers who only complain THERE Are just no jobs ouT THERE (((((((((((((((
There are a lot of hungry people out there looking for jobs who want to win. You shouldn't brag and look down your nose at those who are unable to find jobs. Everyone's situation is different. The school you went to, the discipline you majored in, the degree(s) you have, the school you went to, the city or town you live in, all of these factors play a part in obtaining a job, what type of job, and how long it takes. Good that you got it but write back 3 months from now to update on your feelings about the job. It may not be all that you think it is now. Negotiating a 3-week vacation upon starting is very unusual for the average job but just keep in mind that nothing is free. A price is attached to everything in this world. You may come back from vacation and be so far behind in work that has piled up in your absence that it will make you feel as if you never had a vacation. I'm thankful for my employment because I love what I do but a few years ago I was in the very shoes that many here are in: unemployed (briefly for a few weeks)/underemployed (for a year). I was very hungry for work and wanted to be productive and have a winning lifestyle but instead I had to deal with many bull-crap fake job ads, fickle temp agencies, indecisive hiring managers, one manager lowering the rate of pay when she saw me in person because she thought I was younger than I really am, interviewers promising me they would call and never did, etc. Said all that to say, you were fortunate, perhaps even lucky, but don't think your opportunity is available for every job hunter in every job market in every city/town.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:06 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,888,429 times
IMO you either have the education, certifications and work history or you don't. If you do and you are qualified, just keep applying because you will get a bite sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment