Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 09:41 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,588,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
120k in student loan debt with a masters in education, making 20K a year?

I'd start sending my resume out to ANYTHING I was REMOTELY qualified for that pays more than 20K a year and has a semi-reasonable health insurance plan. Start with any school district you qualify for.

If nothing hits there...call centers, retail management, going to China or Vietnam for a couple of years to teach English, selling cars, office administrative work.

Please don't go back to school. You've wasted enough time and money.
I really have trouble finding and keeping jobs. Most places expect good communication and multi-tasking skills. My disorganization and poor employment history kind of keeps me from qualifying for those jobs. I remember someone interviewing me during college and asking if I had ever been fired, when I said, "yes," he shook my hand and thanked me for my time; the interview was over. It didn't matter what I had to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 09:45 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,677,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
At $120,000, my student loan might as well be my mortgage. Let's face it, I'm poor.
You should be crying, good grief your debt is ridiculous.

I am glad to hear you're maxed out on loans.

Quote:

I'd start sending my resume out to ANYTHING I was REMOTELY qualified for that pays more than 20K a year and has a semi-reasonable health insurance plan. Start with any school district you qualify for.

If nothing hits there...call centers, retail management, going to China or Vietnam for a couple of years to teach English, selling cars, office administrative work.

Amazing isn't it?

Thankfully they can't borrow anymore money unless it's from family. And who in their right mind would do that?

Old 11-06-2016, 09:51 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Quote:
I really have trouble finding and keeping jobs. Most places expect good communication and multi-tasking skills. My disorganization and poor employment history kind of keeps me from qualifying for those jobs. I remember someone interviewing me during college and asking if I had ever been fired, when I said, "yes," he shook my hand and thanked me for my time; the interview was over. It didn't matter what I had to offer.
Why don't you have those, and what can you do to get them? Still curious why you are being reprimanded at your current job. Why do you keep getting fired? What did you hope to do with your degrees?

Multi-tasking is a myth. No one is good at it.

Good communication should be a no-brainer. Respond to e-mails. Tell your supervisor what's up when you need to. It's not hard.

ETA - Do I see from your other posts that you ave ASD? Do you qualify for any services that would help you get a job?

Old 11-06-2016, 09:54 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,771,599 times
Most of that school debt comes from interest racking up. I'm in a similar situation with my school loans.

OP, don't go back to school. You don't need more education. You need a plan that will help you be more confident in yourself. Seek help first, and then look into training/opportunities that will allow ypu to get needed skills.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:18 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,239,690 times
What are you expecting from these posters? What will they say differently than those of us in the education forum who have been giving the same advice for YEARS? Only for you to ignore it do stupid stuff like register for math classes in hopes of teaching it when you already have a master's in education?

I'm getting a bit annoyed by your ASD claims now, and i promise never to post to you again. I know many people with ASD and yes, it is a barrier to employment, BUT holy hell, do you ever cling to it like a crutch and use it to explain every single bad decision you continue to make. You sure seem to use it to justify everything, even stuff that comes down to your own bad choices and coasting in life. I don't understand why you don't seem to have more reason than my 7 year old with ASD. How much is ASD and how much of it is just being someone who avoids real life!??

Old 11-06-2016, 10:27 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,144,467 times
Quote:
I would love to, but I don't have time. I'm not trying to make excuses, but the programs I've encountered are day programs and won't fit my schedule. I currently work two jobs, one part-time and the other full-time, and the programs require an 8 hour per day commitment. I checked for grants with Career Services, and they said I wasn't eligible because I already earned a master's degree...sigh.

Now, I've encountered some online programs, but I doubt they're any good. Then, there's the money issue. I haven't been able to save any money lately. I'm pretty sure I spent most of it on repairing my car. One thing is for sure, I need to do something. I wonder if taking out a private loan for continued education would be a good idea? I'm maxed out on my federal loan allotment; I owe a little more than I borrowed because of unpaid interest. My grand total, including interest, is about $120,000. The biggest of those are FFELP, or whatever the abbreviation is, loans, which are private loans backed by federal money. Yeah, my minimum monthly payment is something like $200 per month, I think, even on an IBR plan. My standard rate is like $1200 per month, which to put it in perspective, I only make about $!600 per month on my current job. I'm so fed up with owing money and not being able to go back to school, though, that I wonder if I shouldn't look for a better second job and start throwing everything else I'm making at this loan. I feel pretty unfulfilled with a $120,000 debt hanging over my head.
Well here's the deal. You won't solve any of these issues without upgrading jobs to one which pays adequately. Many have educational debts of that amount. Colleges understand.

The real question is do think that you'd be interested in being a nurse educator? If so I can help.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:17 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,982,021 times
Perhaps I am wrong (I am not a qualified teacher - though I have taught many adults things in a classroom on occasion) but aren't communication skills and organization skills critical to being a teacher, at least at a classroom level? You might get away with private tutoring without those skills in abundance - and perhaps that is what you should be doing if you are determined to use your education degrees - but if you want to be PAID more in that field ... you have ASK for more and you have to PROVE you are worth more. I think you need some 'business/entrepreneurial skills' training - find a mentor! And self-confidence, which you appear to lack in spades, is critical!

You are very bright. That is evident from your many posts. You can write. And it is very readable writing though I have no idea if you have to labour for hours to get out a single paragraph or if it all flows out easily - but you really need to get off this self-pity stuff if you want to even think about being a writer that anyone would actually read for long. What about editing? At least that would get your foot in the door in the writing world. You could be a novelist I suppose but I expect unless you like yourself better than it seems you do now, I would aim for only a single novel .. a series would probably make us all either go to sleep or wish we were dead.

It seems what you really want is to make a career out of being given 'atta-boys' and 'aww poor you's'. It is too bad you can't figure out what 'career' you would like that would best use that awesome 'victim' skill you have so perfected.

Yes, this is rough. But you need a rude awakening or the next decade will go as (not) well as the last for you.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:25 PM

22,639 posts, read 47,797,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Sure. But then people should not whine if the work they love does not pay them enough, and how it is society's responsibility to pay them in 6 figures.
So true.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:30 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,757,021 times
Quote:

Seriously, you can make $10 hour ($20k a yr) almost anywhere! Send your resumes out!!!! And WHY can't you start up your own tutoring business out of your home? Put in a cheap advertisement in the local newspaper, put an ad online on Craigslist, let nearby schools know about your business, etc. My daughter needed to be tutored in reading and math. I was paying her 3rd grade teacher $40 an hour to tutor her after school! If that's what you really want to do, do it! I bet if you even lowered your price to $25 an hour you would get a ton of business because you would be cheaper than everyone else out there

Old 11-06-2016, 12:30 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,564,684 times
Quote:
If I read your tone correctly, you are insinuating that I don't. What makes a person worth that much, then? The only reason I don't have the experience and / or training is because no one gave it to me. I did what I needed to do. I do know a lot about my subject, but, no, after working as a teacher, I don't really feel like I'm worth that much. People don't pay me that much; they pay me as little as they can get away with, and the kids and their parents of course expect education to be their free right. Plus, I'm hopelessly disorganized. I *could* put together a quality service if I knew how to do A, B, C, or D is what I think, but right now I don't have those skills. It's a matter of time management and materials, though.
I'm not insinuating anything, just asking why you haven't looked into better paying jobs if you think you are worth more

You claiming you lack experience/training doesn't really amount to much. Those aren't exactly "hard" to get. From what you've said, you already "got" a masters degree... Isn't that "training", didn't you gain any "experience" while completing the degree?

What you lack is application of your degree. Why did you get it, how did it help, etc. Just having a degree is worthless without application. I have lots of tools, know what I use the most? A hammer, because I don't know how to use the other specialized ones. That's what I see when you post, you have a specialized tool (masters degree) and yet you don't know how to apply it. You went out and "bought" the degree, you didn't "master" the subject matter.

Someone who has master a subject can find work even without a degree. I've tutored online as I said, I had no degree in teaching or the subjects. I do have people who vouch for me, that I make it worth their time (what they pay me). I've taught english over skype (practiced more than taught), I've taught math and chemistry to local high school kids. And I've taught piano to kids at church.

Now? I don't teach, I enjoy my work and would rather do it in set times than "teaching" a few hours here and there each week. Income just wasn't stable doing it "freelance" but it paid for spending money in college. It just wasn't anything I wanted to pursue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment