Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2016, 06:17 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,471,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
You need to grow up for real. I used to live in the hood and i can tell you people like u won’t last in that business if you working with those kids will eat u alive cause u whinng and dont really care. Just another self entitled poster who think a job is like a movie where u show up and get popcorn. Now if u got some disabilty, realize your limits take responsibly for what u do and make a move. good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I see a pattern of entitlement in your posts. No one is going to give you something just because you think you deserve it, including respect and good pay. You have to prove your worth.

I don't know your story but it sounds like you have some challenges. Don't let your attitude compound those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
But you do have legs... you even completed a masters. By all metrics, you are able-bodied. You are looking for something that isn't there. You are not disadvantaged or in any way hindered from success. You have as much or more "chances" at success than most people.
Posts like these are ignoring the fact that OP has ASD, and what all that entails. Although well meaning, not helpful advice at all.

IMO, teaching children is one of the worst, most difficult, jobs for someone on the spectrum.

What about being a Librarian, OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 06:18 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,276,645 times
Old trader, the OP didn't mention in this thread that she has ASD. Not everyone knew that.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:07 AM

565 posts, read 732,019 times
A librarian has to have a master's degree in library science. OP could work as a library assistant though, or a library page (someone who shelves books and runs errands). Maybe OP could be a library assistant who doesn't work with the patrons but works behind the scenes copy-cataloging the new books that come into the library. Then OP can basically just sit in a back room/office all day on a computer. Cataloging is perfect for a non-people person. And most librarians hate doing it. Not sure about the pay in a state like Alabama, though.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:07 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,600,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Posts like these are ignoring the fact that OP has ASD, and what all that entails. Although well meaning, not helpful advice at all.

IMO, teaching children is one of the worst, most difficult, jobs for someone on the spectrum.

What about being a Librarian, OP?
Lots of people have mentioned librarian. My cooperating teacher even mentioned it. Maybe I've been thinking little old lady "school librarian" and thought it didn't match my personality. Maybe there's more to that job than I thought there was, though. Really, it wouldn't be a bad job, but I need to fix this attention issue first, and I would need to go back to school for a certification in library science.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:17 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,254,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I would love to, but I don't have time. I'm not trying to make excuses, but the programs I've encountered are day programs and won't fit my schedule. I currently work two jobs, one part-time and the other full-time, and the programs require an 8 hour per day commitment. I checked for grants with Career Services, and they said I wasn't eligible because I already earned a master's degree...sigh.

Now, I've encountered some online programs, but I doubt they're any good. Then, there's the money issue. I haven't been able to save any money lately. I'm pretty sure I spent most of it on repairing my car. One thing is for sure, I need to do something. I wonder if taking out a private loan for continued education would be a good idea? I'm maxed out on my federal loan allotment; I owe a little more than I borrowed because of unpaid interest. My grand total, including interest, is about $120,000. The biggest of those are FFELP, or whatever the abbreviation is, loans, which are private loans backed by federal money. Yeah, my minimum monthly payment is something like $200 per month, I think, even on an IBR plan. My standard rate is like $1200 per month, which to put it in perspective, I only make about $!600 per month on my current job. I'm so fed up with owing money and not being able to go back to school, though, that I wonder if I shouldn't look for a better second job and start throwing everything else I'm making at this loan. I feel pretty unfulfilled with a $120,000 debt hanging over my head.
You don't need to go back to school. You need to use what you have and get your rear in gear and do something to self-start. You're wasting your life with debt, and you're in debt for no good reason.... buying degrees that you aren't even using. You could have become a prison guard with a high school diploma for petes's sakes. Even a GED. What did you burn up 120K for? It would have been smarter to spend it on beer.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:02 AM

51,314 posts, read 36,992,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I certainly don't think it's the only thing you can get, especially if you are ESL certified. I know math and sciences are the preferred flavors these days, but I don't think opportunities otherwise are zero - I personally know several English teachers who are recent graduates and working in the field.

I don't know how much student loan debt you have, but DO NOT go back to school to get, at best, a $40k year job starting out.

I understand the difficulty, I have some ASD symptoms myself and can be difficult to get along with, but ultimately a lot of life is about "grinning and bearing it," behaving the way society says you should, even if you're chewing nails on the inside.
OP has had many, many interviews but does not get hired due to the ASD and the way she comes across as well as the fact she did not do well in student teaching and has NO references recommending her. OP subbed for several years, badly, and was unable to control even a kindergarten class. She cannot use anyone from those jobs as a reference, either, because she performed so poorly.

OP wears clothes that don't fit and doesn't wash them often, in fact there is a thread where she wore dirty pants to school and didn't realize they smelled until the kids starting mocking her for it and holding their noses. She has heavy dark facial hair and doesn't do anything about it nor do anything to create a favorable impression including something as simple as making her hair nice. This is not laziness, she simply is clueless when it comes to social norms, literally does not know she is violating them until something happens. This is why she needs professional help so badly that she keeps making excuses not to seek.

KMB, Germaine, in another thread, suggested you need to start at the very basics such as hygiene and basic living and social skills, things that other kids just pick up naturally from the cues and feedback the world gives us constantly, but you need to be taught step by step due to the ASD. You really need to align yourself with an Autism group and start pushing to see what help you can get, because I don't believe for a second there is none, as I have found it for you on more than one occasion and on more than one venue, to which you respond "I guess I'll call but it really won't help and I don't actually think my ASD is that much of a problem anymore" (more magical thinking, which doesn't serve you).

Again, regarding the teaching, OP does not know what level any of the kids in her class are functioning at, she doesn't know how to make a lesson plan nor do assessments despite her degree, the kids hate her and often say she's not a "real teacher", because frankly, she's not. They sit in front of a computer program all day. She doesn't work with the kids who need help, she doesn't know how to even begin to do that. These kids liked their last teacher, it is not the setting it is KMB. She thought teaching is standing in front of a class playing an actor doing a performance, and believed that social skills training was somehow going to be a part of getting a teaching degree. She does not know how to interact with kids or other staff. She can't even keep track of the kids' work folders. The only reason she still has this job is that these kids don't have parents to demand her removal.

This is ALL ASD, KMB. You may try to differentiate yourself but you are typical ASD, sorry for that. Up to you to get help or keep making threads where you tell half the story and then glom on to the advice that doesn't take your ASD into consideration.

Your ASD is THE reason you haven't succeeded...repeat that as many times as you need to until you can accept it, then maybe you'll put some effort into getting help.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 11-08-2016 at 10:18 AM..

Old 11-08-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Lots of people have mentioned librarian. My cooperating teacher even mentioned it. Maybe I've been thinking little old lady "school librarian" and thought it didn't match my personality. Maybe there's more to that job than I thought there was, though. Really, it wouldn't be a bad job, but I need to fix this attention issue first, and I would need to go back to school for a certification in library science.
OMG, do you have any idea the kind of focus and organizational skills it takes to be a librarian? You can't even keep track of your students work folders. You need vocational counseling tailored to your ASD. You can't just pick jobs like others do, didn't this $120,000 failed experiment at least prove to you that you don't know what jobs you can do well? You do not have a realistic enough view of the world or your strengths and weaknesses to allow yourself to keep making life decisions without ASD-specific guidance.

You keep swimming upstream thinking you can fight and overcome your weak areas versus the right way to choose a career, which is capitalizing on your strengths and the things you are already good at. There is never going to be a "fixing" of the attention issues, there are only ways to compensate for them. I know, I am ADHD, but succeed because I make effort to work with my issues...I use timers, plan books, organizational tools...there is nothing that is ever going to make my issues or your issues magically stop being issues, that is why you need training to learn how to navigate life despite them.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 11-08-2016 at 09:52 AM..

Old 11-08-2016, 09:44 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,949,120 times
The best time to have received some counseling and social skills training was back in high school or even before that. Being thrust out into the real world with unchecked asd is a recipe for disaster.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The best time to have received some counseling and social skills training was back in high school or even before that. Being thrust out into the real world with unchecked asd is a recipe for disaster.
Of course that would have been best, but it's certainly not too late. It can't hurt that's for sure. Yes, disaster is a good word for it.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:54 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,287,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OP has had many, many interviews but does not get hired due to the ASD and the way she comes across as well as the fact she did not do well in student teaching and has NO references recommending her. OP subbed for several years, badly, and was unable to control even a kindergarten class. She cannot use anyone from those jobs as a reference, either, because she performed so poorly.

OP wears clothes that don't fit and doesn't wash them often, in fact there is a thread where she wore dirty pants to school and didn't realize they smelled until the kids starting mocking her for it and holding their noses. She has a heavy dark facial hair and doesn't do anything about it nor do anything to create a favorable impression including something as simple as making her hair nice. This is not laziness, she simply is clueless when it comes to social norms. This is why she needs professional help so badly that she keeps making excuses not to seek.

OP does not know what level any of the kids in her class are functioning at, she doesn't know how to make a lesson plan nor do assessments despite her degree, the kids hate her and often say she's not a "real teacher", because frankly, she's not. They sit in front of a computer program all day. She doesn't work with the kids who need help, she doesn't know how to even begin to do that. These kids liked their last teacher, it is not the setting it is KMB. She thought teaching is standing in front of a class playing an actor doing a performance, and believed that social skills training was somehow going to be a part of getting a teaching degree. She does not know how to interact with kids or other staff. She can't even keep track of the kids' work folders. The only reason she still has this job is that these kids don't have parents to demand her removal.

This is ALL ASD, KMB. You may try to differentiate yourself but you are typical ASD, sorry for that. Up to you to get help or keep making threads where you tell half the story and then glom on to the advice that doesn't take your ASD into consideration.

Your ASD is THE reason you haven't succeeded...repeat that as many times as you need to until you can accept it, then maybe you'll put some effort into getting help.
Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment