Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 04:28 PM

881 posts, read 616,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Sand&Salt: Do you mind letting us know the general area on the equator that you live in? I am also a retiree but can afford to live in the US (for now). In case things change it would be nice to know into which countries I can "escape" to.
Indeed, I'm curious too! Though I can say right now that if you're already retired, there are some countries like Panama, Costa Rica, and Ecuador (or is that Peru??) which want the foreign dollars coming in and so will easily grant residency status ("green cards") to anyone able to prove a monthly income of, depending on the country, $850 to $1,000 USD -- along with various benefits like discounted medical, etc. These places not only offer incredibly low cost-of-living for your American Dollars but warm climates, too! And, as you might imagine, a ready-made expat community of retirees....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 04:48 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,121,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Indeed, I'm curious too! Though I can say right now that if you're already retired, there are some countries like Panama, Costa Rica, and Ecuador (or is that Peru??) which want the foreign dollars coming in and so will easily grant residency status ("green cards") to anyone able to prove a monthly income of, depending on the country, $850 to $1,000 USD -- along with various benefits like discounted medical, etc. These places not only offer incredibly low cost-of-living for your American Dollars but warm climates, too! And, as you might imagine, a ready-made expat community of retirees....
I have heard that once these areas fill up with too many expats the col starts to sky rocket just like a little mini USA thus defeating the entire purpose. I think the key is to find areas that have the minimum level of ammenities that you need with the fewest expats. How to determine what areas have too many expats is the million dollar question. I suppose one just has to do alot of traveling or scouring google earth and then researching every region that looks interesting from google earth.

I would wager a bet that you are homeless preciesely becasue you live in NYC, I cant even imagine what an apartment costs per month or what the initial purchase price of a condo is there. Do your skills transfer out of the city or do you simply enjoy being homeless, I have heard NYC gets cold so I cant imagine thats fun (shelters or not).

Old 12-02-2017, 05:26 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,732,988 times
Homeless Loser, I agree that you are very articulate and well-spoken (or well-written, anyway). I’d be really interested in hearing your story if you ever decided to share it. Also, have you considered writing for pay?

Old 12-02-2017, 11:41 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
We keep talking about low wage jobs being replaced by technology and in reality it will be much worse than that. We will call a doctorbot when we are sick and our smart phones will send all our medical data. If we have a legal problem we will conference with a lawyerbot. After all most legal issues are very routine. And if we need to go to court, we will be pleading to judgebot...what could be more fair?

It's not just the cashiers and burgerflippers who are in jeopardy!

Old 12-03-2017, 12:41 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,550,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
We keep talking about low wage jobs being replaced by technology and in reality it will be much worse than that. We will call a doctorbot when we are sick and our smart phones will send all our medical data. If we have a legal problem we will conference with a lawyerbot. After all most legal issues are very routine. And if we need to go to court, we will be pleading to judgebot...what could be more fair?

It's not just the cashiers and burgerflippers who are in jeopardy!
right... and japan prefers robots to foreign nurses...
Japan Prefers Robot Bears to Foreign Nurses – Foreign Policy
http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifesty...ts-463336.html

it isn't that we don't know about robotics, but we don't feel that people will be out of work :/

humans learn to adjust and because they are competitive there will always be jobs

Old 12-03-2017, 01:34 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,121,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
right... and japan prefers robots to foreign nurses...
Japan Prefers Robot Bears to Foreign Nurses – Foreign Policy
Japanese robot could be a constant companion for vulnerable adults | Irish Examiner

it isn't that we don't know about robotics, but we don't feel that people will be out of work :/

humans learn to adjust and because they are competitive there will always be jobs
When a large percentage of the world is pissed off and laid off there will eventually be a major war that destroys tons of infrastructure.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:18 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,550,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
When a large percentage of the world is pissed off and laid off there will eventually be a major war that destroys tons of infrastructure.
dont worry, your automated robots will be there to keep them in line

i dont buy the argument, these super robots that can do everythi for you, cant somehow be programmed to monitor you and keep you out of "trouble"?

Old 12-03-2017, 04:11 AM

4,976 posts, read 2,718,453 times
Default A Brave New World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
dont worry, your automated robots will be there to keep them in line

i dont buy the argument, these super robots that can do everythi for you, cant somehow be programmed to monitor you and keep you out of "trouble"?
Yes these super robots will be able to do absolutely everything, including monitoring the population and preventing "crime". Whatever the government decides. A brave new world.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:16 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Last count was 6 million job openings in the US. If you can't find a job in this economy, there is something wrong.
Finding them is not the issue. The issue is getting the job offer. But first one must actually get an interview.

But I guess you don't understand that.

You can look online, in classifieds, and now hiring signs posted outside of companies and "find" jobs, but that is not the same as getting an interview and job offer.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:19 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,959,193 times
Just interesting to see how many people are for handouts rather than work for pay with zero understanding of the strings attached. Look at Pruitt Igoe to see how it all *worked out.* But no one has. UBI was TRIED and FAILED miserably.

It's also interesting that there is zero understanding of how gov't works, who is actually in charge, and the role the public plays in *gov't*. The gov't never fixes anything. Anything.

And I also agree that *homeless loser* is very very adamant for this. This topic pops up over and over. It's a testing ground to see how many people will jump on board (forums are used for this marketing purpose by many organizations).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment