Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:21 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,587,041 times

Advertisements

ballerinas have their requirements, if not unwritten... they get carried around when they dance, if someone is too big, the guy can't lift them overhead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 11:28 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,663,239 times
A friend of mine, an IT manager, hired a 8/10 young lady as a developer. After some time most of the guys were in-love with her, she took advantage on those introvert geeks that never got good looking ladies attention, and made some of them to do her job.
The manager ended it very quickly when she tried to impose her charms on him also.
Since than, they hire only women over 40 and under 4/10.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:49 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,430,540 times
500+ pounds is going to totally spike the company group health insurance rate for a smaller company. At that weight, they invariably have expensive chronic problems and are on the road to developing more of them. That nails the company and all the rest of the employees. You get into the whole disability and "reasonable accommodation" mess. You get hit with FMLA demands when they have "doctor things" where they don't work on all those days everybody wants off.

Unless that person has job skills I can't easily obtain elsewhere, pass.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:26 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,829,112 times
Well, at the place I am furloughed from, we had a female who would easily make 2 of me (I weigh 256 right now) and she demanded (Yes demanded) a sit down position, then she'd tell some "Oh, you need to get me this box of media" and the response was quick "Your job description says you have to be able to do it"

Then she'd come in on crutches and tried that same crap, we told her "Use the cart then" well she went to the boss and she said "Do you have a doctors note?" Yeah suddenly the crutch and leg wrap disappeared...

Sometimes, there's good reason to not hire some people.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:28 PM

306 posts, read 367,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I think there's a difference between 5-11 and 525 lbs, vs. 5-11 and 220 lbs.
Yeah, 295 lbs.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:44 PM

4,626 posts, read 3,342,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
On that note, an obese person in the office would possibly give off a bad vibe.
And that's not all they often give off. Since they're usually too big to get into a bathtub or shower, there are often hygiene problems they can't do anything about. We had one huge woman in our office and when there was some telephone and computer cabling to do in the office, the guys who had to work around her desk came away complaining they needed combat pay for that job.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:42 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,778,442 times
Being that weight is very, very dangerous.

I can imagine the healthcare hell companies would have to go through, so its better not to go through with it.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:58 PM

6,955 posts, read 3,994,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But how is that any different than discriminating against height?

I understand certain jobs you need to be a certain height... flight attendant for example b/c you need to be able to reach certain things... BUT to be a rockette in the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, one needs to be 5'6"... why?

How is this legal? They are not trying to reach anything... is it because they are trying to achieve a certain look & make all the women look a certain height? Maybe so... but how is that legal?
I'd love to see a 500 pound person who can move their ass if they are a receptionist and also have to occasionally leave their desk to fax or get documents from the printer, etc., and get back to their desk before the phone rings again. That's my line of work, and I weigh over 250 myself, but I hustle (I can walk a 20-minute mile). I don't do that slow shuffle you see obese people do when they are trying to walk.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:01 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,499,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
500+ pounds is going to totally spike the company group health insurance rate for a smaller company. At that weight, they invariably have expensive chronic problems and are on the road to developing more of them. That nails the company and all the rest of the employees. You get into the whole disability and "reasonable accommodation" mess. You get hit with FMLA demands when they have "doctor things" where they don't work on all those days everybody wants off.

Unless that person has job skills I can't easily obtain elsewhere, pass.
Hell, they don't even need to be excessively heavy/hyper-obese. Just having too many old men and women can bring down the health plans. For a larger company I worked with, they were suspected to be the reason why our plans were so lousy given the corporation's size.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:05 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,093,543 times
There's a lot of overweight people working everywhere I go. I rarely see someone who is morbidly obsess working though. The few I know personally cannot work and are on disability as they struggle to even get around.

Some jobs do have physical requirements to perform the job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment