Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 05:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Not at all. Most guards patrol. On foot. My husband walked about five miles a day at his job. Till he got promoted.
This. There's no way a morbidly obese person could be a security guard, unless the guard did nothing but sit.

Our guards (at work and at home) are always out and about patrolling the building and the property..and they walk 12-15 miles a day. No way someone 500 lbs could do that.

Shoot..I average 8 miles in my 8 hour shift and I have 'desk' job!

side note: The job description has to be taken in consideration. Do we have obese people apply for our positions? Yes, we do. But we don't hire them. Why? There's no way in hell they'd be able to do the job. It's just too physical...and they'd never pass the 'fit' test we require all applicants to perform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 05:49 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I'd love to see a 500 pound person who can move their ass if they are a receptionist and also have to occasionally leave their desk to fax or get documents from the printer, etc., and get back to their desk before the phone rings again. That's my line of work, and I weigh over 250 myself, but I hustle (I can walk a 20-minute mile). I don't do that slow shuffle you see obese people do when they are trying to walk.
I work in healthcare and we won't hire someone that size. We can't. They are too much of a risk..to themselves and to our patients. Plus, they can't do the duties laid out in their job descriptions.

I work a 'desk' job (management) and I still manage to get an average of 6 mies a day in my 8 hour shift. My walking pace is 4 mph.....they'd never keep up.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:32 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Isn't that illegal?
No.

The military does it all the time. In some occupations, fitness is a bona fide job requirement. Whether or not that's true for a daycare, I have no idea.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:58 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
No surprise with out shallow and superficial and political our society has become. Its pathetic. The only thing that should matter is if the person is qualified or capable of learning at least with a solid work ethic..
I don't agree. This woman weighs 525 pounds. Working in a daycare chasing around small children takes some physical stamina which I cannot believe this woman would have.

At some point one has to have personal responsibility in taking care of themselves. Aside from having a hard time getting a job they are going die much younger with all that extra weight and the health issues that comes with it.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:01 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Seriously? In my office, 80 % of the women fit the category of morbidly obese.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Really depends on the job. 500 lbs is a lot different than say, 300 lbs. Unless you're '8'0'' tall, it's going to be difficult to accommodate someone that size (probably hard if you were that tall). Obviously, jobs that require physical fitness are a no-go. However, if you can't fit into the chair at your desk............desk job might be a no-go as well. Oddly enough, in my department, I don't think we've hired anyone that was anything past " really chubby" in the time I've been here. And my job requires absolutely zero physical fitness.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Seriously? In my office, 80 % of the women fit the category of morbidly obese.
At height 5'11" one only has to weigh 300 to be morbidly obese. For the average woman at 5'4" that's 250 lbs, less than half of the example.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:05 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Someone that size wouldn't even be able to use an elevator unless it had cargo doors. You'd have to build special furniture so they wouldn't get injured by the breaking chair. I work with a bunch of obese people and the ergo dude gets run ragged trying to keep up. They almost all have back and nerve issues. Constantly calling in sick and not real pleasant to be close to with BO and other health issues like gird and breathing problems.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:26 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
We have a morbidly obese young guy in my workplace. He already messed up a chair. He cannot gingerly sit down so he basically slams down into the chair every time. I have asked him to stop but it doesn't matter---he still does it. He also has trouble reaching for anything---he drops stuff and then has a hard time picking it up. We also work in a fast-paced place and if I start walking somewhere he cannot keep up.

And the smell sometimes.

It's a shame. Because he is a hard worker but he often has limitations or is slower to move. He has never tried to seriously lose weight. I hope he legitimately tries before it's too late, because he already told me he retains fluid in his knees from the weight and has some other issues---and soon the damage will be done and irreversible.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:02 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Someone that size wouldn't even be able to use an elevator unless it had cargo doors. You'd have to build special furniture so they wouldn't get injured by the breaking chair. I work with a bunch of obese people and the ergo dude gets run ragged trying to keep up. They almost all have back and nerve issues. Constantly calling in sick and not real pleasant to be close to with BO and other health issues like gird and breathing problems.
Years ago we had this guy in our office. Big guy 6'5" but weighed over 400 pounds. He broke a couple of our office chairs. We had to order him a special one after that. It was a desk job so he did fine at it and showed up everyday. But his goal in life was getting SSI due to health issues he had because of his weight. He had no interest in losing weight and getting healthy. Of course then getting approved for SSI was out of the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment