Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 09:11 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,042,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
There are height requirements for some jobs that I've observed or heard of:
ACTUAL height REQUIREMENTS
Firefighters have minimum height requirements. I picked this up in an episode of Rescue Me, but recall it to be true
I don't think that's right. My coworker is a size 4 and a mere 5"1' tall and she has been fighting fires for years. She has advantages over those huge guys she works with because she can fit into tiny spaces and crawl on unstable roofs that her taller/heavier counterparts cannot. With her small size, she has saved people who otherwise might have died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 09:25 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,645,322 times
1. Most overweight women (and men) can lose weight

2. People who are in client facing roles need to be dressed professionally and be physically appealing. Thus, for those roles, I see no issue.

3. Overweight people hurt everyone in terms of healthcare costs. So once again, I don't see issues.

4. Don't like it, lose the weight.

If you want to discuss REAL issues, talk about applicants with black or minority names...talk about age bias...or other factors that a person cannot CONTROL.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:19 AM

95 posts, read 89,672 times
Even in the security guard industry where I am a manager at we won't hire really heavy people anymore. Some of the cheaper companies that do grocery stores and golf cart posts still do but I require miles of walking every day with scan points on a smart phone so I have a legit out when deciding not to hire someone. I also am required to have some officers wear suits and they need to be presentable to some degree. A company called CSC will hire many obese people and grocery stores/Ihop seem to have a good ration of obese to regular weight. There are jobs for them it is the nature of the beast that they will be descriminated against.

Last edited by foster913; 12-15-2017 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-15-2017, 10:48 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,463,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't think that's right. My coworker is a size 4 and a mere 5"1' tall and she has been fighting fires for years. She has advantages over those huge guys she works with because she can fit into tiny spaces and crawl on unstable roofs that her taller/heavier counterparts cannot. With her small size, she has saved people who otherwise might have died.
yes I know a female FF that size as well.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:32 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,660,806 times
Can't blame the day care for not hiring the 525 pound lady. Someone that heavy is not going to be able to keep up with active toddlers and infants, won't easily be able to get on the floor and play with the kids, nor take them on field trips and chase after them fast enough to protect them from mishaps.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:10 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,115,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post

2. People who are in client facing roles need to be dressed professionally and be physically appealing. Thus, for those roles, I see no issue.

3. Overweight people hurt everyone in terms of healthcare costs. So once again, I don't see issues.

If you want to discuss REAL issues, talk about applicants with black or minority names...talk about age bias...or other factors that a person cannot CONTROL.
^^^ yep

Old 12-15-2017, 02:16 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,667,449 times
I doubt it has anything to do with appearance but rather boils down to her health. She's not obese, she's morbidly obese and all of the medical issues that are associated with it. The cost to the employer could be prohibitive and I find it hard to fault them for considering that when hiring.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:11 PM

13,305 posts, read 8,550,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post

Nah...the ones I have met decide to run the business (owners) and pay no mind to the folks who judge a book by their cover. THe one owner did battle with weight problems and if I recall, she is worth over 2million and has more awards for her community boards she is a member. Her insistence in being in front of the clients to close deals keeps her active.. So there goes that opinion out the door. So I don't see an issue either and nor do the ladies who run business's with some weight challenges.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:26 PM

3,164 posts, read 2,760,406 times
She's one Happy Meal away from disability. Imagine an employer having to accommodate the legalities of that. Can't discriminate, can't fire, any medical related issue will result in PTO.

I'd pass.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:33 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,645,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Nah...the ones I have met decide to run the business (owners) and pay no mind to the folks who judge a book by their cover. THe one owner did battle with weight problems and if I recall, she is worth over 2million and has more awards for her community boards she is a member. Her insistence in being in front of the clients to close deals keeps her active.. So there goes that opinion out the door. So I don't see an issue either and nor do the ladies who run business's with some weight challenges.

So if there are a few exceptions to a rule...then you're saying that it invalidates the rule.

Ok...I think all of us would agree that sexual predators and child molesters are bad people. However, I do know two guys who were convicted of child molestation and are actually good people. So does that automatically mean that sexual predators and child molesters aren't bad people? According to your logic, it would because a few exceptions invalidates a general rule/truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment