Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 02:39 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,873,882 times

Advertisements

quote:
Just having too many old men and women can bring down the health plans. For a larger company I worked with, they were suspected to be the reason why our plans were so lousy given the corporation's size.

wow, gotta love the blatant age discrimination that is rampant in the working world... I'm in my 40s and havent used our stupid health insurance in three years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 02:41 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,873,882 times
And yeah, it was the OLD people to blame for your crazy premiums and deductibles... Not your cheap ass employers skimping on plans.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:12 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,499,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
Just having too many old men and women can bring down the health plans. For a larger company I worked with, they were suspected to be the reason why our plans were so lousy given the corporation's size.

wow, gotta love the blatant age discrimination that is rampant in the working world... I'm in my 40s and havent used our stupid health insurance in three years.
I heard that from my coworkers who were with the company for many more years than I've been, so I'm assuming they were "in the know"
And I'll acknowledge that yeah, there are men who are 20 years OLDER than me who are more physically fit.
It wasn't meant to be a sweeping generalization about ALL old men. However, it's generally expected that
1) the older you get, your health would get worse (we suspected it was the 50 to 70yo FWIW, not some 40yo like yourself), and 2) that seemed to be the case where we worked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
And yeah, it was the OLD people to blame for your crazy premiums and deductibles... Not your cheap ass employers skimping on plans.
I had no info it was the company, but no info it wasn't them either. I worked in IT, not HR, so I had no detailed access to such records. It's possible it really WAS the company to blame. [shrug]

Old 12-14-2017, 08:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,174,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Isn't that illegal?
No. Fat is not a protected status.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:21 PM

10,968 posts, read 7,515,147 times
I have always been overweight and believe in size equality. Even so, 500+ is going to have issues in the office. Saying that makes me feel so judgmental!

Old 12-14-2017, 09:38 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,587,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I have always been overweight and believe in size equality. Even so, 500+ is going to have issues in the office. Saying that makes me feel so judgmental!
Size equality? As in your clothes use more fabric so you pay more for it?

Or as in the person would occupy more office space, so needs to be more productive to make up the loss of money spent on office/ take a lower wage

How does size equality happen?

Old 12-14-2017, 09:56 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,106,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I think there's a difference between 5-11 and 525 lbs, vs. 5-11 and 220 lbs.
Yeah, this. I'm overweight myself, but just slightly over 200lbs on a naturally large-framed 5'6" - and somehow I've managed to get hired for, uhhhh, at least 20+ jobs in my 41 years of life? So I think this is a rather blanketed statement (from the OP's title), and over-simplifying what IS an issue but not THAT big of one. No pun intended, lol.

Also, showing people photos and actually putting them in a hiring/interviewing situation will yield very different results. I bet studies would show differently, if they simply analyzed REAL employment statistics of overweight vs slender women... because even if you might judge them based on a photo, your opinions could change quickly after interviewing and speaking with them for 20 minutes.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:58 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,106,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
No. Fat is not a protected status.
Might depend on where you live. If I'm not mistaken, "appearance" (in general) is protected in some states... I'll have to confirm that later, though.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:07 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,747,442 times
two friends of mine, a man and a woman who were a couple started dating when they were a little overweight and over a near 30-year relationship they ballooned up to ridiculous weights. Joe worked in banking in Jersey City, NJ. He was able to drive in every day and parked in an underground garage. He weight about 350-400 pounds when I met him in the 90's. He got laid off in the early 2000's and couldn't find a job. He went on some interviews but no one would take the chance on him and the commute alone was too burdensome for him. Joe still lived with his parents. Joe passed away in his sleep from an undiagnosed Heart condition in 2014. He refused to go the doctor. I guess because he knew that the doctor would find something wrong. In Joe's, case medication would have saved him. He was over 500 pounds when he died. He didn't fit in the coffin. They had to cut his arm off and stuff the suit between the hand and shoulder with paper in order to get the casket to close. It was horrible. Joe was 59 years old.

Marie always worked. She did well in everything she did. She had that kind of personality. She had been laid off from a few jobs.I can't say for sure of her weight had anything to do with it, but I wouldn't be surprised. Marie was very charming so it was easy for her to keep getting work. I met her when she began working for my Father in the Real Estate business. Marie excelled at being an agent. She mainly did rentals and some commercial work. Real Estate would be her last real incoming earning job. She too lived with her Mom. I won't speculate on her weight when I met her, but she was very big. As time went on she became very sick. Numerous things wrong with her. She had bone cancer. Over the course of 5 years, we thought she was a goner but kept coming back. She joined Joe in Heaven about 15 months later. She was 62 years old.

It was such a shame to lose two people who really were larger than life and yes, they were flawed but they were good people. I miss them all terribly. Joe, Marie, and my Father.

My Father said it all the time when I was growing up, you gotta take care of yourself. If you don't doors that have opportunities on the other side will close and when you are that big there are too many liabilities that come with hiring a person that large. Health, reliability etc... It doesn't mean they are bad people and they may not be lazy. But, in today's world of HR hiring practices, their job is to hire the best candidate with the least amount of risk. Joe and Marie could have been overqualified for a job and their salary requirements may not have been extreme but if they were going up against someone with less experience and a higher salary requirement and wasn't morbidly obese, Joe and Marie aren't getting hired, and that's a shame. But, that's the way it is and, it's been happening for decades.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:50 AM

6 posts, read 29,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Well i have a wife that is little on the big side but not much more then me.. But some heavy people have a hard time standing, bending, picking up things from the floor. The list can go on.. Its not because they are bias, its because the job will require some physical work to do. If you cant stand for 8+ hours a day or walk 8 hours without the need of a walmart wheel chair, then your not a fit for that company. I get it some have real medical issues, and some have a real time dealing with real life struggles and eating is their gateway drug.
Exactly your right. But i think companies should not look on the physical appearance because i know some fat people can do lot of things. She's much of a worker than other employees again it depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment