Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 05:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,970,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
If this is a requirement that you wear this lanyard, take a simple binder clip and secure these badges that are flapping around making too much noise.

It never ceases to amaze me how such incredibly insignificant things irritate some people.
Because lanyards can be annoying in various ways, remembering, sitting on your neck, flipping on you, able to be pulled, getting caught...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 06:21 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,386,632 times
I have a badge holder that fits in my shirt pocket and the badge hangs on the outside, visible to all (I don't wear a coat in the office). I hate the big string thing hanging around my neck and will do anything to avoid it. My access card I keep in my shirt pocket, so I just yank it out when I go thru a controlled access door.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:36 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,705,899 times
Where I worked you were required to display your security badge at all times, visible and above the waist. Many people made a game of it, with lanyards that were funny or supporting various causes. Some turned it into a fashion accessory with silver or gold chains, ribbons that matched their outfits even pearls.
If you can't have fun with it, just clip it to your pocket or the button placket on your shirt.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:14 AM

15,134 posts, read 32,399,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
That's great, but this thread is about people out there that do have a job and therefore can talk about the annoyances of lanyards on that job if they so desire.

I wear one, though not the official branded one. Mostly because it's too easy for me to lose the retractable clips.
If the OP doesn't like wearing a lanyard, and can't wear the badge(s) anywhere else, then he needs to find a job where a lanyard isn't required to be worn.

I have several part-time jobs, and I have a badge and lanyard for each one, which is required to be worn while on the job.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:27 AM

5,499 posts, read 7,795,298 times
I always swapped my lanyards out for retractable reel clips to fasten to a belt loop. Much less obtrusive.

I can remember when I worked in Washington DC back in the mid-1990s and you would see lots and lot of young adults out at bars after work still wearing their government IDs around their necks as if they were some kind of merit badge or something. Like if you could see they worked at the FBI or State Dept or something it would make them more eligible! Heh.

Mine always came off and went into my backpack the second I crossed the threashold of my office building on the way out the door.

Most large organizations have low paid security staff with relatively high turnover so it really isn't reasonable to expect them to know everyone who belongs in a building by face. Badges do have a purpose.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:28 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,770,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
...I have no status so I just have one badge. You have numerous badges, you could just layer them down the front of your shirt like a row of medals.
It would appear that somebody is sorely in need of more pieces of flair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Sounds like you have a job which means you are paid. And not a slave. Just a whiny over-exaggerator. Be grateful for a job.
And by symmetry, the employer should be grateful to have an employee with the skills, dedication and alacrity to get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Ever been to a trade show? Everyone wears them there!
I’ve been to numerous professional conferences (which include an exhibitor’s area, akin to a trade-show), and almost never wear my issued badge. Why? The people who matter, would already recognize me as The Peasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
I am curious if you think various types of biometric scans would make you feel any less of a 'slave' in the work environment?
They would, for me, because the lanyard is a label; it reduces people to mere names. It’s not the requirement to prove my identity that I resent, but rather, the literally having to wear a badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Most large organizations have low paid security staff with relatively high turnover so it really isn't reasonable to expect them to know everyone who belongs in a building by face. Badges do have a purpose.
That’s not their purpose. Presenting credentials at access-points is an entirely different matter, and clearly necessary for security. Rather, the present issue is the display of accouterments while already within the area in question. Employees having nothing to do with security – just generic employees – are actively encouraged to be petty gendarmes, challenging all comers – even persons whom they know. This is the ubiquitous security-theater to which we’re incessantly subjected. Those who fail to display their badge, aren’t properly playing in the security-theater. It’s not that they’re putting the organization at risk, but rather, that they’re too prideful to kowtow to the security-culture.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:53 PM

11,581 posts, read 6,763,579 times
I think a lanyard for a name tag is better than pinning it to your clothes!

Old 12-19-2017, 03:23 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,838,065 times
my solution is put my badge in my pocket and put my lanyard in the trash. It's worked fine for the past 7 years at my current job

Old 12-19-2017, 03:28 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,673,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
get a tie clip and clip it to your shirt

men already invented a device to keep something hanging on your neck in place
Not a fan of ties and it's not always appropriate to wear one.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:29 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,673,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Work for a different place?
That's like someone saying to move because your commute is too far. Easy to say when not understanding the dynamics involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment