Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 11:01 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,282,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Whose problem is that? People need jobs. There are open jobs.

I don't understand why Americans refuse to increase their skills and then complain about not being able to find work. There are training programs available, low cost education programs, community colleges, etc.
If it was really that easy do you not think ore people would do it? Why are you avoiding that some people are not smart enough to do these jobs, getting more skills requires time and money something not everyone has. If everyone increased there skills you know what that would do to the higher paying jobs make them more common thus decreasing what they will pay. There are open jobs but how many of them are well paying open jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 04:08 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,671,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
If it was really that easy do you not think ore people would do it? Why are you avoiding that some people are not smart enough to do these jobs, getting more skills requires time and money something not everyone has. If everyone increased there skills you know what that would do to the higher paying jobs make them more common thus decreasing what they will pay. There are open jobs but how many of them are well paying open jobs?
Exactly, I'd love to be a CPA because I'm good with numbers, but I couldn't afford 5 years of college (CPA requires a Master's) so I'm a truck driver, which only cost me a couple Grand to get my CDL

Old 03-20-2018, 07:37 AM

10,793 posts, read 5,737,616 times
Quote:
The first highlighted portion generally means that the second highlighted portion won't be available for them. Generally, people that aren't very bright, and/or don't have good skills won't be getting high paying jobs.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,548,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The first highlighted portion generally means that the second highlighted portion won't be available for them. Generally, people that aren't very bright, and/or don't have good skills won't be getting high paying jobs.
Those that aren't that bright aren't in scope for high paying jobs. Hence, they get the low paying jobs. There are already a ton of low paying jobs for them. So what's the problem?

For what it's worth, I believe people are brighter than they think they are.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:11 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,675,229 times
Quote:
If it was really that easy do you not think ore people would do it?
Who says it's easy? But you either do it and succeed, or don't do it and fail.

Where is the requirement that improving your lot in life must be "easy"?

Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Those that aren't that bright aren't in scope for high paying jobs. Hence, they get the low paying jobs. There are already a ton of low paying jobs for them. So what's the problem?

For what it's worth, I believe people are brighter than they think they are.
I have no problem with it at all. Did you understand from my post that I did?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,548,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I have no problem with it at all. Did you understand from my post that I did?
Totally. This sort of makes this whole thread useless unless folks believe pay is not connected at all to skills.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:40 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,671,606 times
Quote:
Totally. This sort of makes this whole thread useless unless folks believe pay is not connected at all to skills.
Sometimes it just depends on who you work for. In my field, pay varies widely depending on who you work for. Some crappy companies only pay a driver $500/week; $1,000/week is about the median (about what I make too); while the top paid guys make as much as $2,000/week; all for the same job, driving a truck

Old 03-20-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
That isn't all what I said. I'm not sure how you could have gotten that from my post.

stormeagle has consistently posted in these types of threads that some people are not smart enough to get good jobs, so therefore it isn't fair that they can't get good jobs, and that something needs to be done so that they can get good jobs. I have consistently pointed out the folly of such a belief.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:20 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,244,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Well, pretty much EVERY life requires a minimum salary of $85k over here. But why should Disneyworkers with no college education earn more than $37k if lots of people who put in the effort of obtaining a degree and have more skills to offer earn not much either?

The problem is that housing and groceries are too expensive.
Buying a house is expensive compared to almost anywhere except North Bay. Renting, in LA, does not need to be. I live on the Westside, in an updated 1 bedroom, with a garage, security, patio, etc and my rent is cheaper than my NYC/CT rent was (FFLD country, actually has a higher COL than LA.) Groceries are also dirt cheap, compared to NYC/CT/Chicago/SoFl (all places I live/visit frequently) in LA. Even dining out is slightly less than NYC.

The problem is taxes--if I take my salary back east (which I may, in a few years, by going full time remote, instead of just 4 days) I will make close to 1K more a month, because of the tax differential. That's even IF I lived in NYC. My salary would remain the same, as the COL is actually higher, at the towns/areas we are considering.

Minimum wage in CA is one of the highest in the country and especially in LA--it's a city, renting is more expensive, of course than say, the midwest, and literally EVERYTHING is taxed (like, it's ridiculous.)

With that being said--I had friends that worked at Disney. But, this was the college programs, so slightly different. They definitely did not make money. I think, with some people, it may be a matter of taking a job that you can get. Other things like benefits etc may outweigh what they actually make in cash....health care in this country is another box of worms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment