Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 11:31 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,716,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It's 4 days off. In most places, you just go to your manager. If this is one of those rare companies, where HR has to approve days off.

She is better off in most other places. That place is the odd one out, not the standard. I have worked for over 20 years, including two of the largest banks in the country.

In 20+ years, my managers never told me to go to HR to get approval for a day off. She shouldn't have any trouble finding a company that does not require HR's signoff on timeoff.
Many companies don't give vacation time until you've worked there for a year. 4 days off is just about an entire week. The OP has only been working there for a week. No one here has seen the employee manual and company policies on vacation time.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,163,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Many companies don't give vacation time until you've worked there for a year. 4 days off is just about an entire week. The OP has only been working there for a week. No one here has seen the employee manual and company policies on vacation time.

Those companies are not the majority. They are an exception. If she rolls the dice, I bet she lands at a company with vacation time in the first year. I have been around the block for a few decades. You aren't talking to some kid that's never been in the workforce.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:04 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,716,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Those companies are not the majority. They are an exception. If she rolls the dice, I bet she lands at a company with vacation time in the first year. I have been around the block for a few decades. You aren't talking to some kid that's never been in the workforce.
Never said the majority. Never said you we're some kid. I'm not a kid either. I've worked in HR at several companies and had to be knowledgable about each company's vacation policies....they're different everywhere. None of the companies I worked for were exactly the same and I've worked in multiple states.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:15 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,058,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
Hi,

Not sure what to do. I started a new job last week. I was pretty desperate to get out of my previous job and accepted an offer quickly. I like the job and it’s only 6 minutes from my house. The problem is I have a preplanned trip out of state in June. My best friend is getting married and I’m in the wedding party. My husband and I have already paid for the trip. We will be out of town for four business days. I mention this to the hiring manager prior to being hired. I was told it shouldn’t be a problem. Then today I found out that human resources has denied my request. They are saying there is no flexibility.

At this point I’m thinking I should just keep working but look for something else. I have never worked for a company that would give me a hard time about time off several months in advance. I told him I’m fine with it being unpaid but they won’t budge. I’m not canceling the trip. I guess I could tell them if they can’t grant me the time off I will have to quit and see what they say? Has anyone else ever come into a situation like this? How did you handle it?

Work till June and drop them an email before leaving for vacation and come back. If they want you they will still keep you, else you can find elsewhere.

Also in company's POV, there arent many Admin assistants doing the same job or back you up.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-21-2018 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Generation bashing.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,163,214 times
Quote:
Never said the majority. Never said you we're some kid. I'm not a kid either. I've worked in HR at several companies and had to be knowledgable about each company's vacation policies....they're different everywhere. None of the companies I worked for were exactly the same and I've worked in multiple states.
Good you are agree it's not the majority. She is better off at another company in most cases. It will be easier to find one that does offer time off than one that doesn't in most cases.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:13 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,758,223 times
Quote:
The OP is not asking to be paid. The OP also asked about it before she was hired and was told it was ok. While you say that is no guarantee, it is a sign of how a company treats its employees if it won’t even let them take unpaid leave for a preplanned trip.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:50 AM

21,380 posts, read 8,015,686 times
Quote:
If there is more to the story they aren’t telling me. My manager said she would ask HR again after telling me what they told her. Especially after I told her I could take it unpaid.

I think there’s more that my manager isn’t telling me because as I said she is getting married a week and a half before the dates that I requested off. She told me she was not taking a honeymoon. I’m willing to bet that something changed and she’s going to be out during the dates I requested off and that’s why they’re denying me.

I’m going to look for another job
Have YOU spoken to HR directly?

Old 03-21-2018, 04:51 AM

54 posts, read 61,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Have YOU spoken to HR directly?
No. She told me they werent willing to budge. They are located in another office 40 minutes away

Old 03-21-2018, 06:34 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,124,458 times
Quote:
No. She told me they werent willing to budge. They are located in another office 40 minutes away
Do they not have telephones?

Old 03-21-2018, 06:48 AM

3,470 posts, read 4,875,960 times
I am kind of torn on this one. As a business owner, I get why they denied your request. They needed someone in the position and hired you. You are requesting to take 4 business days off in the middle of the summer which is the time most people put in for their vacation. There are probably people that already worked there that had put in for vacation during that same time period but they requested it months ago and it is already approved. You are the new employee on the scene so you draw the short straw. A lot of companies do not even give vacation days until you have been there a year. Do you even have any vacation to take at that point?

Now as a former employee, I get your side. You mentioned it during the hiring process and was told it wouldn't be a problem and they hired you. Now it sound like your manager is blocking it to me but it could possibly be HR looking at what and how many employees are already scheduled to be on vacation at that time and they need you there.

Either way, it sounds like you are going to have to make a decision. Which is more important to you, the job or the wedding? I personally would have to call the friend up and break the news that I can't take off from my new job and I could be fired if I come to the wedding. Friends get it and will understand or at least good ones will. Besides it is just a wedding and statistically speaking, you can always catch her next one. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment