Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 06:35 PM

54 posts, read 61,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I wouldn't even quit. I would just not show up anymore. These jobs are a dime a dozen. If you stay you will have to explain why you did to the next employer just pretend you didn't get the job at all.
Well I have nothing to lose to keep working. My schedule is good so that I can interview around it.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
This is done all the time...someone finds a new job but has a prior commitment requiring time off (like a paid for vacation, or a medical procedure, or being in a wedding party out of town). You simply tell them about it, and they either approve it or not. If not, the interview is over, and she goes on her way. But she told them, they approved it before she was hired. Then they changed their mind w/o explanation.

That is unusual and not a good sign of a good company to work for. This is when they are putting their best foot forward to start things off right with a new employee (and vice versa). It's only downhill from here.
Yes, you are right. I forgot that the management had preapproved the vacation before she hired on. Not a good company to work for.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 PM

I was always told to get everything in writing. This time I didn’t.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:40 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
I don't know what you can do at this stage, unless you can go back to your prior job, saying you made a mistake. I've seen that before.

If you leave your employment permanently so you can be in the wedding party, you may find it hard to find another job.

Seems like you're stuck, unless you can go without work for a while. You will miss the wedding party, put your friend in a bind, and if you're like me, you will regret missing it for the rest of your life. (I regret not going to a family reunion with my mother, so that I could handle an "emergency" work thing I got stuck with.)

But it's a really bad sign that they went back on their word. It won't get any better. You're stuck there for a year, and then you can start looking for a new job. Which I recommend you do. It's disturbing they misrepresented allowing your prior commitment, and don't even have an explanation to give you. It's possible that the hiring manager forgot to tell HR, so HR thinks you just arrogantly thought you'd take a va-ca after being there just a few short months. But since you aren't allowed to talk to HR, you can't clarify it. If HR knew, they might honor the company's commitment to you. But this is the way it would be for years to come, if you stay there. This would happen over and over. Get thee to a better company.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:40 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
This is done all the time...someone finds a new job but has a prior commitment requiring time off (like a paid for vacation, or a medical procedure, or being in a wedding party out of town). You simply tell them about it, and they either approve it or not. If not, the interview is over, and she goes on her way. But she told them, they approved it before she was hired. Then they changed their mind w/o explanation.
Exactly. My niece started a new job three months before her own wedding, and she was allowed to take a few days off before the wedding and some after for the honeymoon. She wasn't able to take time off for a while after that as she accrued back the time she took, but she didn't have to make the choice between her wedding and her job.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:42 PM

91 posts, read 124,614 times
Quote:

That is unusual and not a good sign of a good company to work for. This is when they are putting their best foot forward to start things off right with a new employee (and vice versa). It's only downhill from here.
The problem is, her request was NOT approved before she was hired. She was given the good old "oh that shouldn't be a problem". I know it's difficult to do when interviewing and trying to put your best foot forward, but the OP should have clarified and confirmed that "it shouldn't be a problem" meant "yes, you have that time off".

The wedding isn't till June, right? I still say, if you haven't found a new gig by then, just call in sick. I'm no HR expert, but I'm not so sure they'd fire you. There are resources and time involved to hire someone new and train them, etc. Especially if you prove yourself to be a good, reliable employee between now and then.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggzy702 View Post
The problem is, her request was NOT approved before she was hired. She was given the good old "oh that shouldn't be a problem". I know it's difficult to do when interviewing and trying to put your best foot forward, but the OP should have clarified and confirmed that "it shouldn't be a problem" meant "yes, you have that time off".

The wedding isn't till June, right? I still say, if you haven't found a new gig by then, just call in sick. I'm no HR expert, but I'm not so sure they'd fire you. There are resources and time involved to hire someone new and train them, etc. Especially if you prove yourself to be a good, reliable employee between now and then.
I think they wil catch on that I’m not sick for those 4 days

Last edited by Now_What34; 03-20-2018 at 06:59 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 06:45 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Exactly. My niece started a new job three months before her own wedding, and she was allowed to take a few days off before the wedding and some after for the honeymoon. She wasn't able to take time off for a while after that as she accrued back the time she took, but she didn't have to make the choice between her wedding and her job.
There are definitely some early red flags with this company.

If they are that strict now, they will be even stricter after employees are fully trained and settled in. They will have no consideration for any illnesses or personal issues at home. If they end up understaffed during crunch time, you can bet employees will be forced to work long hours and weekends.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:46 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
Yes same manager. I asked her if I could speak to human resources because they are in another office and she told me that they are not willing to budge.
Well then I would quit and find another job. Or work till two weeks before and give notice and find a new job after the wedding.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:48 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggzy702 View Post

It's a red flag, when vacation scheduling goes through HR.

I have worked in corporate offices for over 20 years including at too-big-to-fail banks. I never had to go to HR for approval for 4 vacation days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment