Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 09:25 AM

505 posts, read 503,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Yeah, that reminds me of the woman we hired for steel sales where I work. She trained for a month before they let her start taking phone orders. Then she ruins it for herself by going into the manager's office and requesting a raise.

She said the same thing when she walked out (they gave her the option to accept her current pay rate or quit) - how she felt bad for those of us who work here. Wow, funny how this company is able to retain long-term staff, some of whom have 25-40+ years here. I'm about to complete 16 years myself.
That's not even remotely the same situation as the OP's.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,605,462 times
If they lied about this, what else will they lie about? I would start now looking for another job, and next time, if they tell you your pre-scheduled trip is not a problem, get it in writing.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,969,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Has nothing to do with OP's situation. Completely different scenarios.
No it's not.

The woman I mentioned told me she "felt sorry" for me and anyone else who works here as she was walking out the door in tears. She chose to quit because she asked for a raise after only 4-5 weeks on the job (ignoring the fact that if she proved to be any good at steel sales the commission she would be earning would basically negate the need for a raise).

People are saying the OP's place of employment is a horrible place to work because they chose to deny her those 4 days. Saying it "shouldn't be a problem" during the interview doesn't mean that something can't or won't come up between then and her 1st day on the job. Maybe the manager's higher up found out and maybe the manager got in trouble for saying that during the interview, and that is a fact that the OP wouldn't be privy to.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 AM

54 posts, read 61,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
No it's not.

The woman I mentioned told me she "felt sorry" for me and anyone else who works here as she was walking out the door in tears. She chose to quit because she asked for a raise after only 4-5 weeks on the job (ignoring the fact that if she proved to be any good at steel sales the commission she would be earning would basically negate the need for a raise).

People are saying the OP's place of employment is a horrible place to work because they chose to deny her those 4 days. Saying it "shouldn't be a problem" during the interview doesn't mean that something can't or won't come up between then and her 1st day on the job. Maybe the manager's higher up found out and maybe the manager got in trouble for saying that during the interview, and that is a fact that the OP wouldn't be privy to.
Not even close to the same.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,429,004 times
Work there up until the wedding, and either quit the day before and go have fun, or give your two weeks notice ending the day before you need to travel. In between now and then say NOTHING else about it.

And in the meantime be looking for another job. You have three months, that's enough time. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Work there up until the wedding, and either quit the day before and go have fun, or give your two weeks notice ending the day before you need to travel. In between now and then say NOTHING else about it.

And in the meantime be looking for another job. You have three months, that's enough time. Good luck!
Thank you - that’s my plan. It’s funny to me that they haven’t said anything about it or ask me what I plan to do

Old 03-22-2018, 11:17 AM

844 posts, read 2,022,796 times
I don't understand the posters who say the OP should have gotten the "shouldn't be a problem" in writing before she was hired. How is that done? Is it in the offer letter, via email? Once the hiring manager said that, doesn't going back and asking for it in writing imply that the hiring manager is not to be trusted? I mean, we know this now, but it seems like it would offensive to ask for that...

Old 03-22-2018, 11:40 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,153,192 times
Exactly.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:50 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,672,167 times
When I'm starting a new gig, if I have something scheduled, I tell them. I do not "ask", I just inform them I'm unavailable on those dates. It's never been a problem. And that way, if someone ever did come back trying to "deny permission", it's already a done deal. Any employer that doesn't respect pre-existing commitments isn't one who'll have any respect for future ones, either.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
When I'm starting a new gig, if I have something scheduled, I tell them. I do not "ask", I just inform them I'm unavailable on those dates. It's never been a problem. And that way, if someone ever did come back trying to "deny permission", it's already a done deal. Any employer that doesn't respect pre-existing commitments isn't one who'll have any respect for future ones, either.
I didn’t really ask. I told. But it’s ok - I’m going to keep getting paid while looking for something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.