Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 02:22 PM

54 posts, read 61,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person in Charge View Post
If you have significant savings, you should tell them you're going to that wedding, knowing that very well that may be the end of that job. Don't be a coward. They may pitch a fit and threaten to fire you, but then not really do anything. I've worked at places like that.

If they do fire you on the spot, oh well. On to the next job.
I’m quitting when I have another offer or right before I leave. It will be sweet because by that point I’ll be trained and leave them in a bind.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:02 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,824,544 times
This last post shows your character. You want to punish them, for not letting you have something that is against their policy. Be honest and quit now, so they can move on with someone else the company can count on to do their job, and follow company policy.

You still have that teen age attitude, of if I don't get my way, I will throw a temper tantrum and I will punish you, or make your life miserable.

You are now in a grown up world, where companies have to make policy to keep their company operating smoothly. They have to make their company work smoothly, and you are not willing to do your part.

Be honest and quit now, not letting them train you so you can leave them in a bind to punish them for not letting a young immature young girl have her way. That is so teen age thinking. Be a woman, not a little kid and quit now.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
This last post shows your character. You want to punish them, for not letting you have something that is against their policy. Be honest and quit now, so they can move on with someone else the company can count on to do their job, and follow company policy.

You still have that teen age attitude, of if I don't get my way, I will throw a temper tantrum and I will punish you, or make your life miserable.

You are now in a grown up world, where companies have to make policy to keep their company operating smoothly. They have to make their company work smoothly, and you are not willing to do your part.

Be honest and quit now, not letting them train you so you can leave them in a bind to punish them for not letting a young immature young girl have her way. That is so teen age thinking. Be a woman, not a little kid and quit now.
I plan on giving a two week notice as soon as I find another job. Nice try

What I expect is for my new employer to keep their word - the same way they would expect me to. They didn’t so - I’m moving on.

It’s obvious you are one of those rigid old school corporate suits that expects employees to be robots. Sad.

Have a great night.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:15 PM

16,378 posts, read 10,533,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
My friend does. Doesn’t really matter what day it is. That’s not relevant to what was done to me.
I was asking because it is very very unusual, in fact I've never heard of it and I'm an old guy whose been around. And had it been on a weekend you could have possibly done as other had suggested and make the wedding while keeping your job.

I really understand your issue here, you were lied to and would have never taken the job had you known this would happen. And yes a lifelong friend is more important than a new job seeing as you do not need it. But the comments that you seem to attack posters who are simply offering their advice, advice you had asked for by starting this thread, are on target. That is off putting. Especially as you attack a long time, contributing member of our board. And yes that does matter to us. We know that poster, we do not know you.

As for your plan I am a bit confused. If your plan it to give two weeks notice right before you leave, well you are clearly trying to get back at the company who you feel has lied to you. Two week notices means you will work the 2 weeks.

Burning bridges and leaving them in a real bind is always a rock solid plan. As business needs to continue you are no doubt screwing other employees who will be forced to cover for you. I guess you can justify that in your minds as you said you weren't close to them. Still doesn't make it right.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I was asking because it is very very unusual, in fact I've never heard of it and I'm an old guy whose been around. And had it been on a weekend you could have possibly done as other had suggested and make the wedding while keeping your job.

I really understand your issue here, and yes a lifelong friend is more important than a new job seeing as you do not need it. But the comment that you seem to attack posters who are simply offering their advice, advice you had asked for by starting this thread, are on target. That is off putting. Especially as you attack a long time, contributing member of our board. And yes that does matter to us. We know that poster, we do not know you.

As for your plan I am a bit confused. If your plan it to give two weeks notice right before you leave, well you are clearly trying to get back at the company who you feel has lied to you. Burning bridges and leaving them in a real bind is always a rock solid plan. As business needs to continue you are no doubt screwing other employees who will be forced to cover for you. I guess you can justify that in your minds as you said you weren't close to them. Still doesn't make it right.
Mod cut.

They should have told me they can’t grant it and I wouldn’t have taken the job. That’s their fault not mine. Let’s be get real: businesses fire people everyday and don’t think twice about it.

Last I checked giving a two week notice is standard. I plan to give notice when I get another offer - whenever that is. That’s being generous. Not screwing anyone. I have my mind made up anyway..

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-24-2018 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Rude.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:29 PM

34,203 posts, read 17,283,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
I’m quitting when I have another offer or right before I leave. It will be sweet because by that point I’ll be trained and leave them in a bind.
Your friend's wedding timing does work out nicely.

Then they can start the whole cycle again. Months of collecting resumes, multiple interviews, pre employment screens, waiting for 2 week notice..followed by a newbie who is not full trained for 6 months.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:54 PM

5,104 posts, read 2,779,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

What about companies that don't keep their word? And leave their employees in a bind? Trust and loyalty is a two way street. The company also has a teen age attitude.

If the OP wants to punish the company, then that is her right and her business.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:40 PM

34,203 posts, read 17,283,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
What about companies that don't keep their word? And leave their employees in a bind? Trust and loyalty is a two way street. The company also has a teen age attitude.

If the OP wants to punish the company, then that is her right and her business.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:10 AM

22,808 posts, read 19,411,509 times
at the time i am offered a job, i always tell them right up front about any pre-planned leave commitments. I have never had it be a problem.
i have not read the whole thread. it sounds like they said the pre-planned trip was not a problem, then changed their mind.

i've had jobs tell me things during hiring process, and then have them "change their mind" or not follow through. as soon as this happens, it is a sign for me to change jobs, and i do. one manager says something during the interview and hiring process, and then after being hired, another manager down the road says no we can't do that. invariably they lose people over it, and have a high turn over, morale is poor and they can't hire or keep good people.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-25-2018 at 01:19 AM..

Old 03-25-2018, 03:56 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,697,123 times
So I think you’re probably better served first by asking how stuck are you on Fairfield County, do you need to at work in a Hospital or will you consider working in convalescence homes, day surgery centers etc .. Actual Hospitals there’s not that many in Fairfield county, Danbury, Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport, St. Vincent’s

Then homes under 350k within a high rated school’s assignment radius, and walking distance to a well equipped playground park .. that’s a challenge.. you will fairly easily find a home in your price, but then the schools will be rated midrange (5,6,7 out of 10) and then you’ll be driving to a park ...

Thing is most folks invest in a backyard playscape ... build a semi decent one wherever you move.

No, kids are not too disrupted by changing schools after grades 2, 5, 8
but note that a lot of towns don’t have that switch after 2nd. I think most go kind - 5.

I agree you should probably find your new jobs first, then do the real estate hunt within your commute radius.
Good luck & glad you’re staying in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.