Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 07:45 PM

34,157 posts, read 17,241,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
its being professional... do you perfom poorly on purpose because you are upset at a client?
I'd work right to the end, but 2 weeks notice is simply a courtesy which should be earned by being a quality employer.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:28 AM

11,581 posts, read 6,772,877 times
Quote:
its being professional... do you perfom poorly on purpose because you are upset at a client?

In the OP's case she has only worked there a week, so if she quits why would she give a 2 week notice?

Old 03-23-2018, 08:47 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,254,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
Thank you - that’s my plan. It’s funny to me that they haven’t said anything about it or ask me what I plan to do
I would give no notice or very little for how they handled you.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 AM

708 posts, read 724,250 times
Quote:
I did. She’s the one that told me it’s denied.
Did you bring up it during your interview or hiring process?

Old 03-23-2018, 09:26 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,580,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
In the OP's case she has only worked there a week, so if she quits why would she give a 2 week notice?
why would she quit? the wedding isn't for a few months, she likes the current workplace too

if she quits now, she might be unemployed for a while, or next employer would tell her no also

plus at the end of the day, 2 weeks notice is still 2 weeks of pay

Old 03-23-2018, 09:36 AM

11,581 posts, read 6,772,877 times
Quote:
why would she quit? the wedding isn't for a few months, she likes the current workplace too

if she quits now, she might be unemployed for a while, or next employer would tell her no also

plus at the end of the day, 2 weeks notice is still 2 weeks of pay

I didn't advise to quit! I was replying to your message stating it's professional to give a 2 week notice if she does decided to quit. I replied saying if that's what she decides to do, why give a 2 week notice when she will not have worked there long enough to warrant one!

If it was me. I'd stay up to the point of the wedding and quit. Or quit in the meantime if she finds another job. Otherwise miss the wedding! She obviously CAN'T have it both ways!

Old 03-23-2018, 09:45 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,580,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I didn't advise to quit! I was replying to the message stating to give a 2 week notice if she does decided to quit. I replied saying if that's what she decides to do why give a 2 week notice when she will not have worked there long enough to warrant one!
same reason why you ever give 2 weeks, because you never know what the future has... do you want to burn a bridge at the company or if a co-worker remembers you as the person who walks out? what if they are at the next company she works at and decides not to hire her for that reason? Or the gossip makes its way around town?

2 weeks isn't long, and anyone hiring would wait because they expect her to give notice. And it isn't "unpaid" either, so what does she lose?

that's what I'm pointing at, she doesn't gain anything by not giving 2 weeks notice, no matter how short of a time she was there. Even if she was there for 1 day, she can give two weeks notice. The manager can choose not to accept it on account of short tenure, but she loses nothing from it.

people seem to think she was abused there and need to leave as quick as possible, why? she even said she liked the co-workers...

Old 03-23-2018, 09:56 AM

54 posts, read 61,684 times
Quote:
same reason why you ever give 2 weeks, because you never know what the future has... do you want to burn a bridge at the company or if a co-worker remembers you as the person who walks out? what if they are at the next company she works at and decides not to hire her for that reason? Or the gossip makes its way around town?

2 weeks isn't long, and anyone hiring would wait because they expect her to give notice. And it isn't "unpaid" either, so what does she lose?

that's what I'm pointing at, she doesn't gain anything by not giving 2 weeks notice, no matter how short of a time she was there. Even if she was there for 1 day, she can give two weeks notice. The manager can choose not to accept it on account of short tenure, but she loses nothing from it.

people seem to think she was abused there and need to leave as quick as possible, why? she even said she liked the co-workers...
I never said I liked my coworkers.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:32 AM

999 posts, read 714,096 times
I'd give proper written notice to ensure they don't hold back on any monies owed to you. Best not to burn bridges.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:47 AM

455 posts, read 390,337 times
Quote:
I did. She’s the one that told me it’s denied.
I'm confused. You said "HR" denied your request and now you say it was the manager? Are you in HR and your manager who is also in HR who denied your request. Why would HR have anything do with your work schedule? Oh and btw, you should have mentioned the upcoming time off BEFORE you accepted the job, some employers may have felt that you were less than transparent with them. Had the plans been 6 months out is one thing but June is like 2 months away.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment