Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 08:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times

Advertisements

Since when is HR involved in vacation requests?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:07 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Don't quit. Do keep looking. Tell manager at end of day the day before you go that you are going to the wedding, since you told them at the time of hiring that you needed to take that time off, and were told it would be no problem. And keep looking.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:11 PM

54 posts, read 61,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Don't quit. Do keep looking. Tell manager at end of day the day before you go that you are going to the wedding, since you told them at the time of hiring that you needed to take that time off, and were told it would be no problem. And keep looking.
I’m not going to quit until I find something else. I have an interview next week.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Since when is HR involved in vacation requests?
HR told the OP that the time off shouldn't be a problem when she was hired.

To the OP: If you decide to send a reminder email the day before you go to the wedding, be clear as to when you will be reporting back to work. You don't want to get nailed for job abandonment. Be sure to CC the prick in personnel that said it shouldn't be a problem.

Unless this is a firm that routinely disrespects their employees, this will not be a feather in the cap of your boss. They may want to sweep this whole thing under the rug.
Be prepared for the personnel person to say that they never said "that shouldn't be a problem".

The time off should have been politely been mentioned in your acceptance letter.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
I’m not going to quit until I find something else. I have an interview next week.
In this market you just may get it. I'm an old man who spent 45 years in the public and private sectors. I've been in unions and completely unprotected. Unions are better.

Good luck. I wish things were better for your generation but the politicians play their old game of flooding the market with foreigners just as things start to get good. Dante had a ring in Hell for them.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Stop being such a hard on. One of the conditions that caused her to take the job was because the prick that interviewed her told her that the time off shouldn't be a problem.
Nice language! My post was in response to someone who wasn't the OP. Every company has policies for taking vacation. No one here has seen the policies. Being told it shouldn't be a problem during an interview is absolutely no guarantee of anything!

Old 03-20-2018, 10:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:

To the OP: If you decide to send a reminder email the day before you go to the wedding, be clear as to when you will be reporting back to work. You don't want to get nailed for job abandonment. Be sure to CC the prick in personnel that said it shouldn't be a problem.

Unless this is a firm that routinely disrespects their employees, this will not be a feather in the cap of your boss. They may want to sweep this whole thing under the rug.
Be prepared for the personnel person to say that they never said "that shouldn't be a problem".

The time off should have been politely been mentioned in your acceptance letter.
No, HR didn't say anything about time off during her interview. The interviewing manager said it shouldn't be a problem. The interviewing manager is the OP's manager.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:01 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
I mention this to the hiring manager prior to being hired. I was told it shouldn’t be a problem.

It was the hiring manager.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Businesses are in business to make money not provide vacations.
Businesses should respect their employees who are the ones who make the revenue. People are not robots and only a source of revenue. If companies can't respect their employees, they deserve to go out of business for good.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:21 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You're a new employee who hasn't accrued vacation time. I'm not surprised they won't give you a week off when you've only been there a few months.

Talk to your manager and see if she/he can pull some strings. I wouldn't be surprised if the manager says no. If you tell them that you'll quit if you can't get the vacation, be prepared for that to be your last day. If it's not, that's great. You may have a hard time finding a new job where you want a week off in 3 months.
It's 4 days off. In most places, you just go to your manager. If this is one of those rare companies, where HR has to approve days off.

She is better off in most other places. That place is the odd one out, not the standard. I have worked for over 20 years, including two of the largest banks in the country.

In 20+ years, my managers never told me to go to HR to get approval for a day off. She shouldn't have any trouble finding a company that does not require HR's signoff on timeoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment