Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 03:36 PM

54 posts, read 61,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
why do people keep saying it's a horrific place to work? Is it because a vacation request was denied? My husband gets vacation requests denied frequently due to others already taking time off, deadlines, upcoming projects, etc. That's life.

My husband missed his father's wedding because he was given 3 weeks notice about it and couldn't take time off. He had a major deadline that week. He has to apply for vacation a minimum of 3 months in advance. That's how his job is and he's worked for multiple companies with this policy. None of them have been horrific places to work.

A horrific place to work is something like in bangladesh where the building collapsed and killed dozens of employees. A horrific place to work is like a factory overseas where there's 8 year olds sewing jeans or boiling chemicals to dye fabric. A horrific place to work would be where you have to wear a mask and hope you don't die from the chemicals and there's no government regulation or the regulations are completely ignored. There are very few truly horrific places to work in the us. We're pretty spoiled compared to many other countries.

😂

Old 03-23-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
why would they ask you anything? They said no to the vacation time. So you'll either show up or you won't....just like every other day. You're probably not the first person ever denied a vacation at the company. Probably won't be the last.
😂

Old 03-23-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSGood View Post
Red flags abound! I'd be leaving that job before something bad happens.
I think so

Old 03-23-2018, 03:56 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
I've worked for several companies who do not give vacation until an employee has worked there for a year. The company my husband works for is the same way. They're a Fortune 100 company. He works in IT and still had to wait a year for vacation.
Why would someone agree to work under those conditions? I suppose being desperate for a job is one answer.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why would someone agree to work under those conditions? I suppose being desperate for a job is one answer.

She has said the same thing numerous times on this post. In my experience I have never worked for a company that didn’t give vacation time for the first 12 months. Unfortunately she just wants to keep shoving her thought down everyone else’s throat

Old 03-23-2018, 04:05 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,151,865 times
Quote:
My husband gets vacation requests denied frequently due to others already taking time off, deadlines, upcoming projects, etc. That's life.

My husband missed his father's wedding because he was given 3 weeks notice about it and couldn't take time off. He had a major deadline that week. He has to apply for vacation a minimum of 3 months in advance. That's how his job is and he's worked for multiple companies with this policy. None of them have been horrific places to work.
Quote:
Yup. I've accrued vacation at most my past employers and frequently had to wait 12 months before I could take any vacation time. You had to earn it basically. I don't know anyone with unlimited vacation time.

My husband accrues vacation all year long and has to take all of it by December 31st or loses it. No vacation is rolled over. He has 16 days of vacation, 2 or 3 floats depending on how the calendar falls, 5 sick days, and 6 holidays. He works in healthcare IT at a major company that you're never more than 9 feet away from a product they make.
Seems like you and you husband don't work at desirable places. 3 weeks is plenty of time for a notice and if vacation is lost on Dec 31, it means he can't really take vacation at the beginning of the year because he will not have any accrued. So he gets denied using his vacation, but he also loses it at the end of the year because he wasn't given vacation earlier. Genius from his company .

Old 03-23-2018, 05:59 PM

34,109 posts, read 17,172,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I'd give proper written notice to ensure they don't hold back on any monies owed to you. Best not to burn bridges.
Why? That's such an easy thing to recover. DOL regularly spanks rogue employers who try that, with big penalties, interest, and widespread audits of all their payroll records.

Only stupid corps even consider such a idiotic move.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:02 PM

34,109 posts, read 17,172,839 times
Quote:
A horrific place to work is something like in Bangladesh where the building collapsed and killed dozens of employees. A horrific place to work is like a factory overseas where there's 8 year olds sewing jeans or boiling chemicals to dye fabric. A horrific place to work would be where you have to wear a mask and hope you don't die from the chemicals and there's no government regulation or the regulations are completely ignored. There are very few truly horrific places to work in the US. We're pretty spoiled compared to many other countries.
We are not spoiled.

We have standards which we hold corps to.

If they fail, massive turnover rates occur, errors increase, work does not get done, profits dip.

If you wish to live under Bangladesh standards, the place to find that is Bangladesh.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:57 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,656,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nope desperate for a job no matter what you may think. The company came after him. He left his previous job where he was there for 17 years and they had the same vacation policy.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:01 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,656,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Seems like you and you husband don't work at desirable places. 3 weeks is plenty of time for a notice and if vacation is lost on Dec 31, it means he can't really take vacation at the beginning of the year because he will not have any accrued. So he gets denied using his vacation, but he also loses it at the end of the year because he wasn't given vacation earlier. Genius from his company .
I have to disagree. I own my own company. He loves his job and the company he works for. He hasn't lost any vacation at the end of the year. His vacations are planned well in advance. The entire team has to coordinate all vacations. They have a number of major deadlines where millions of dollars are at stake.

He has float days so he could take a few days off in January. He doesn't because he tends to take most of his vacation time in the fourth quarter. It has just worked out that way with his deadlines and projects. He's used every vacation day for the 5 years he's been with this company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment