Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 09:38 PM

34,210 posts, read 17,295,386 times

Advertisements

Good news is job growth first few months 2018 has been superb, and Q2 historically is better than Q1.

Anyone wanting to jump ship will do so under terrific economic conditions.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:33 AM

6,962 posts, read 3,998,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
And they accrue vacation time?

The trend nowadays is to have “unlimited” vacation time. I use the quotes because it doesn’t accrue and is subject to the manager’s approval.

I’ve never worked for a company that made you wait 12 months for vacation.
My employer uses accruals for vacation time, and it is capped at 200 hours because they pay you for any unused time when you leave the company.

And yeah, it does take a year for a first-year employee to save up 40 hours, because they only accrue .77 per week; after that it's 1.85 for the next 9 years, and then they get the maximum 2.77 per week.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:00 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,113,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
And they accrue vacation time?

The trend nowadays is to have “unlimited” vacation time. I use the quotes because it doesn’t accrue and is subject to the manager’s approval.

I’ve never worked for a company that made you wait 12 months for vacation.
I think this trend is pretty limited. I hear about it, but i haven’t encountered it.

For reasons of accrual, vacation in your firs5 year at a job is usually pretty limited. The worst I have encountered was at one place that offered me a job. They accrued zero for the first six months, and over the course of your second six months they accrued a total of five days. Practically speaking that allows for a long weekend in your 8th month of employment, which is prettty rough.

I turned that job offer down when they refused to negotiate on this point.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:00 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,145,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
She has said the same thing numerous times on this post. In my experience I have never worked for a company that didn’t give vacation time for the first 12 months. Unfortunately she just wants to keep shoving her thought down everyone else’s throat
At my company, they always beg people to take a vacation. Last year, I accrued enough to take a couple months off due to unusual circumstances. I ended up selling some for cash and going to the Bahamas with my husband.

Any company that gives people a hard time on taking time off is stupid. People are not robots.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:09 AM

924 posts, read 1,686,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
I did. I told her this morning that I would hate to quit the job over this. Her response was “ if you have to go - to the wedding - I understand”

She is getting married a week and a half before my time off request, and I can’t help but wonder if something changed for her and that’s why they denied it.
I'm just wondering if the manager is planning on coming back after her own wedding. It would explain why her attitude is basically "sure, do whatever you feel you need to" and HR is "no way." Perhaps she too is just biding her time in a bad situation and planning to jump ship once she's married.

Do not call in sick; be truthful about why you are out when you go to the wedding. Think of all the famous people, politicians and celebrities who get taken down by the lie, not the action itself, the fact that they lied about it. Right now, the company is in the wrong for misrepresenting that you could have the time off in order to get you to take the job. You, on the other hand, have done nothing wrong. I'd continue to take the high road, there's a lot less "mud."

Old 03-24-2018, 08:19 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Nope desperate for a job no matter what you may think. The company came after him. He left his previous job where he was there for 17 years and they had the same vacation policy.
OK, well as long as he is OK with that setup. I wouldn't have been.

When I started my job many moons ago, I started in January and got my full allotment of 13 days for the year. I took a vacation that May.

When I retired, I was getting 32 vacation days a year. Of course vacations had to be planned around project deadlines and work schedules, and by then we all had company iPhones so we were expected to check our email on vacation.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:18 AM

11,578 posts, read 6,784,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Seems like you and you husband don't work at desirable places. 3 weeks is plenty of time for a notice and if vacation is lost on Dec 31, it means he can't really take vacation at the beginning of the year because he will not have any accrued. So he gets denied using his vacation, but he also loses it at the end of the year because he wasn't given vacation earlier. Genius from his company .

I was thinking the same thing! That's pretty crappy! At any rate, every companies vacation policy is different and it's up to you to find out how it works during the interview so you can decided if you are happy with what they are offering along with everything else that has to do with the job.

This probably could have all been avoided had the OP mentioned it at the interview and stated that in order for her to accept the position she needs said time off.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:22 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I was thinking the same thing! That's pretty crappy! At any rate, every companies vacation policy is different and it's up to you to find out how it works during the interview so you can decided if you are happy with what they are offering along with everything else that has to do with the job.

This probably could have all been avoided had the OP mentioned it at the interview and stated that in order for her to accept the position she needs said time off.
She did discuss it with what she called the "hiring manager" so she thought it was OK. She says that in the very beginning of the OP. Then she said "HR" denied it. I'm not familiar with that process because where I worked HR determined what your vacation allotment was, but your manager was the one that approved actual vacation.

It sounds as if this "hiring manager" overstepped his or her bounds and gave false info to the applicant.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,113,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Then she said "HR" denied it. I'm not familiar with that process because where I worked HR determined what your vacation allotment was, but your manager was the one that approved actual vacation.
I think the difference here is that many places have rules stating that you are on probation for the first X months, or that you cannot take, or on some cases book, vacation until you have the accrued days in the bank.

HR is often the compliance group at a workplace, trying to get everybody to follow the same set of rules so that accusations of preferential treatment are minimized.

OP may be running up against one of those rules, and while the manager is ok with the vacation, HR is vetoing due to policy.

Some places HR rules the roost, other places allow managerial discretion.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:26 AM

3,094 posts, read 1,702,414 times
Assuming that the wedding is on a Saturday or Sunday, I would try to change my own flight to a Friday night and be back on Sunday. It would cost more in the long run and be more of a hassle but it likely could be done without threatening the job.

Nevertheless, I'd be mighty upset with the employer, too.

Was there an HR person present during the interview?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.