Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 04:21 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times

Advertisements

Since it is a new job, ditch the vacation. If you keep fighting with your new employer about it, you might lose your job. But at least you will be free to go to the wedding if you are fired.

New jobs and vacations just don't mix. You will have to choose one or the other.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:22 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
If there is more to the story they aren’t telling me. My manager said she would ask HR again after telling me what they told her. Especially after I told her I could take it unpaid.

I think there’s more that my manager isn’t telling me because as I said she is getting married a week and a half before the dates that I requested off. She told me she was not taking a honeymoon. I’m willing to bet that something changed and she’s going to be out during the dates I requested off and that’s why they’re denying me.

I’m going to look for another job
As others state, this sucks but keep your head down and do the best you can at the job until you find another one. I'm sure your friend will understand.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:28 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Might not work in your scenario, but I'd call in sick.
Too risky these days with social media, GPS locators (on phones), etc. It only takes one person to "tag" you on Facebook, and you're outed as a liar!

Old 03-20-2018, 04:33 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Since it is a new job, ditch the vacation. If you keep fighting with your new employer about it, you might lose your job. But at least you will be free to go to the wedding if you are fired.

New jobs and vacations just don't mix. You will have to choose one or the other.
It's not a "vacation" - she is IN the wedding party for a friend, which is much different than just going to Hawaii for R&R. Depending on how close of a friend this is, she could be damaging a friendship and/or missing out on a very special experience. I've been a bridesmaid or Maid-of-honor in 5 weddings, and wouldn't have missed any of them for a job. Then again, I've never had a job so inflexible or uncaring to deny such a request (especially so far in advance). My boss gave me last-minute time off for a job interview recently, so maybe I'm just spoiled.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:36 PM

54 posts, read 61,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post

Not going to fight it. Going to look for something else and give notice .

Old 03-20-2018, 04:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
I think this is a warning sign of how this company does business and treats its employees. For this alone, I'd start looking for a new job.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:40 PM

54 posts, read 61,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think this is a warning sign of how this company does business and treats its employees. For this alone, I'd start looking for a new job.
Yeah I agree 😭

Old 03-20-2018, 05:12 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times
Keep working and play it cool. But, keep up your job search. By June, very likely you'll have found another position. Personally, I'd work right up until the time of the wedding and then give my two-week notice. Can't believe the nerve of these people especially since you told them upfront and they said fine.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:12 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's not a "vacation" - she is IN the wedding party for a friend, which is much different than just going to Hawaii for R&R. Depending on how close of a friend this is, she could be damaging a friendship and/or missing out on a very special experience. I've been a bridesmaid or Maid-of-honor in 5 weddings, and wouldn't have missed any of them for a job. Then again, I've never had a job so inflexible or uncaring to deny such a request (especially so far in advance). My boss gave me last-minute time off for a job interview recently, so maybe I'm just spoiled.
But it is a vacation. Vacation time will be used for it whether it is R&R or a wedding. Management doesn't care. The person is not going to be at work for whatever reason, and the time that is going to recorded is vacation time. That is all that management cares about. The company exists to make money, not please their employees.

The OP has decided that she will quit her job and go to the wedding. That is a solid decision.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:13 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
Not going to fight it. Going to look for something else and give notice .
Thank you for the update & good luck on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment