Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 06:55 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,777,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpero824 View Post
And she flat out would not budge on me having to go everyday. Her only compromise was that I could choose 1 day.
As an older professional who long ago learned to put up with the waves and troughs and strange winds of office employment, my comment to her would probably boil down to Mod cut.

That's beyond control freak, even in a groovy shared-workspace live-work-yay environment.

I smell someone who has attended too many "success in the groovy modern workplace" webinars.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-11-2018 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 06:56 PM

801 posts, read 548,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Really? Is this a different job than the one you had in August?

Giving notice, bad idea to truly say why im leaving?
She did say it's a new job. I don't see what the confusion is. Am I missing something??

Old 11-09-2018, 07:03 PM

6,129 posts, read 4,618,761 times
It this were something that you were asked to do occasionally, every few months, it wouldn't seem as imposing. In that case, I'd try to be open to it to get along even if it's not your favorite thing. But every day is odd and excessive.

And on splitting the ticket with expensive eaters, I would simply tell the wait staff that you will be needing a separate check and if the other work mates want to split the cost evenly, they can do so. Expecting you to do this definitely crosses a boundary when someone or multiple people are ordering an excessive amount of expensive food and drink and to freeload off you every day makes it even more absurd.

Last edited by Jowel; 11-09-2018 at 08:02 PM..

Old 11-09-2018, 07:04 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,777,121 times
Can we ask what field this is in? And what city?

Old 11-09-2018, 07:19 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,973,798 times
where is the world is this happening?
there might be different rules in Botswana.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
I would become annoying. Talk in a lound nasal voice about your pets bathroom habits or revolting websites you have seen. Make fun of the food. Order off the childrens menu when she asks why, tell her that Ethiopian food gives you the farts. On your 1 day to choose pick a hotdog stand. Plead food allergy to GARLIC, which "trendy" food always has a ton of (ewwww). Plead religious observation "my faith does not permit me to eat ------".

Do not participate in any conversations during lunch. If she pushes answer with..."can't you see I'm eating?" Stare at your phone through the entire meal. Wear earbuds.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:31 PM

107 posts, read 69,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
As an older professional who long ago learned to put up with the waves and troughs and strange winds of office employment, my comment to her would probably boil down to [bleep]

That's beyond control freak, even in a groovy shared-workspace live-work-yay environment.

I smell someone who has attended too many "success in the groovy modern workplace" webinars.
Id prefer to not say the actual city. But it is a fortune 500 company. So, its big enough that we have a solid hr system and corporate regulations.

I honesty dont think she is doing it because she is super controlling believe it or not. I have a ton of freedom doing my actual job and presenting my own work. At my last company, my boss was controlling with micromanaging every thing i did and this woman is not like that at all.

I think its one of few possible things

1) I think she may genuinely think this is the best way to manage the team. To like cultivate a "work family" type of environent.

2) I do wonder, if me not going, is threatning to her. Like if everyone else is gone for 3 hours during the middle of the day. And i stay at my desk, does it pressure her to stay too as how it may reflect to other people in the company.

3) lack of personal social life. So, this could be her outlet

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-11-2018 at 07:42 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would become annoying. Talk in a lound nasal voice about your pets bathroom habits or revolting websites you have seen. Make fun of the food. Order off the childrens menu when she asks why, tell her that Ethiopian food gives you the farts. On your 1 day to choose pick a hotdog stand. Plead food allergy to GARLIC, which "trendy" food always has a ton of (ewwww). Plead religious observation "my faith does not permit me to eat ------".

Do not participate in any conversations during lunch. If she pushes answer with..."can't you see I'm eating?" Stare at your phone through the entire meal. Wear earbuds.
We literally have some one on our team that brings their work computer to lunch and plays video games lol. I truly dont think she would give a **** if i didnt participate in conversations

Old 11-09-2018, 07:47 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,764,136 times
How about telling her it is not budget friendly? While you appreciate the offer, it’s just too expensive for you to eat out everyday.

If you put it in terms of money, maybe she’ll be more forgiving.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
How about telling her it is not budget friendly? While you appreciate the offer, it’s just too expensive for you to eat out everyday.

If you put it in terms of money, maybe she’ll be more forgiving.
my biggest concern with that is if she counters with like us bringing our lunch a few days or something when my end goal is really just not to have team lunches or some other offer to bring down cost of lunch.

My end goal is simply to be able to sit alone and chill out during lunch. I really value my hour alone

plus she doesnt seem to care when i bitched about splitting the tab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment