Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 10:22 PM

10,918 posts, read 7,437,405 times

Advertisements

If you are required to go, you should be on the clock. Don't "make up" the time for free. If you have to finish your work, file for overtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 11:00 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,513,948 times
"its mentally exhausting being on display for the entire office all day long"
It sounds horrible. I would try and focus on letting the manager know privately that you are very committed to the job and team but that you need alone time in the middle of the day to restore and then come back and contribute after lunch. Point out the other teams, where it is common for employees to get alone time on lunch to de-stress.

She needs to "get real". She sounds like a self-centered, young person?

I would have to change teams or jobs. I CANNOT be ON all day at work.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:12 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,382,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Nope. This kind of stuff happens all the time. I have seen it multiple times over the years. Finance/Billing departments in medium sized independent companies in NYC are famous for these type of kool-aid routines.
In New York City? Sorry, no, name one company in NYC that has daily 3-hour lunches like this.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:21 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
It this were something that you were asked to do occasionally, every few months, it wouldn't seem as imposing. In that case, I'd try to be open to it to get along even if it's not your favorite thing. But every day is odd and excessive.

And on splitting the ticket with expensive eaters, I would simply tell the wait staff that you will be needing a separate check and if the other work mates want to split the cost evenly, they can do so. Expecting you to do this definitely crosses a boundary when someone or multiple people are ordering an excessive amount of expensive food and drink and to freeload off you every day makes it even more absurd.
The only exception would be if this job were paying rediculous sums of money. If the OP is netting 200k a year after taxes and housing then I would put up with it. But if this is some mediocre payed job I would just get my own check and refuse to pay. My money is my freedom,

Old 11-11-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
"its mentally exhausting being on display for the entire office all day long"
It sounds horrible. I would try and focus on letting the manager know privately that you are very committed to the job and team but that you need alone time in the middle of the day to restore and then come back and contribute after lunch. Point out the other teams, where it is common for employees to get alone time on lunch to de-stress.

She needs to "get real". She sounds like a self-centered, young person?

I would have to change teams or jobs. I CANNOT be ON all day at work.
No kidding and if people were honest they are not ON even when it’s not lunch time. People have just been programmed and conditioned to say “at lunch” because our slave driving work culture can’t imagine that someone may need a mental break out side of lunch.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
every culture is diff.

If at another office the norm is to hop on 1 leg and count to 7. For the time being, thats what you do.
Yep .... as long as it’s big money.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,534,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It's at will. They can fire you because the wind blew SE instead of NW.
Exactly. So, if this was real, why give in to this bizarre situation?

Old 11-11-2018, 06:06 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,702,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Exactly. So, if this was real, why give in to this bizarre situation?
They can’t fire you if they are violating a state or federal labor law to do it. Just because they make up another reason doesn’t make that reason true. If this is in a state that require an unpaid or paid lunchtime away from work duties, the OP can just complain to the state Department of Labor that everyone is being required to work through lunch.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:15 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,221,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpero824 View Post
I am literally contemplating on leaving a job that I other wise like over my manager requiring that I go out with the team to eat lunch every day. This is has been an issue to me for a few reasons....
My manager has sent me a big long email reprimanding me today because I chose not to go out to lunch and eat at an ethiopian restaurant. Because we are a work family and have to eat together. Her counter was that I could choose lunch 1 day a week. I find this totally unreasonable .

This woman is a Mommy Monster disguised as a boss. No way she should own your lunch hour...find a way to go bye-bye asap.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:43 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,124,266 times
Find another job quickly this woman needs some mental counseling she is a control freak , yep find your bye bye real quick . In the interview ask if they do group lunches 5 days a week . Just kidding don't ask that but make a point to say my lunch hour is my time to re group with myself .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment