Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 06:13 PM

39 posts, read 22,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You didn't say how you compare with training and degrees to the other workers.
Good question. Same degree. More experience in the field prior to coming on board. Finished orientation in 3 months, beating the 9 month goal. Multiple emails from customers complimenting my work which has been shared in monthly departmental meeting.

This is why I am so perplexed. I hate the work environment and am leaving anyway. First job I have truly hated in 30 years. Just makes it much easier to move on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Did it occur to you they probably were hired at a higher rate of pay, could be the company was desperate for such people and they came at the right time.

Now that they have caught up, got squared away, the newcomers aren't as valuable as the old timers.
Good point. It’s actually 55k more they make. The market is in my favor now so I will definitely make more money by moving on. Loyalty does not always get you ahead, especially when the highest rating gets you 2.5 percent raise and your company had a record earnings year.

Old 11-12-2021, 09:31 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Maybe you just aren’t as good at your job as you think you are & theyre better.

They also have 10 more years @ the company than you.

Old 11-12-2021, 09:44 PM

[quote=Jdawg8181;62306767]Maybe you just aren’t as good at your job as you think you are & theyre better.

They also have 10 more years @ the company

8 more years. You’re right. I’ll be happy with 2 percent for getting the highest rating possible on my review. And I’m thrilled to work with half the staff while taking a project from someone who didn’t want to do it anymore, adding a part time job to my workload.

Guess I’ll stop interviewing at other places! Glad you helped me see the light.

Old 11-12-2021, 09:49 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
[quote=Corporatelife;62306801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

8 more years. You’re right. I’ll be happy with 2 percent for getting the highest rating possible on my review. And I’m thrilled to work with half the staff while taking a project from someone who didn’t want to do it anymore, adding a part time job to my workload.

Money speaks. They dont want to pay u more for some reason.

Why is that?

Old 11-12-2021, 09:57 PM

[quote=Jdawg8181;62306812]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporatelife View Post

Money speaks. They dont want to pay u more for some reason.

Why is that?
Not sure. Some posters have said maybe market was higher when they were brought in. Market is favorable now so I will go. Honestly I wouldn’t want to work 60 hours a week as a standard. Some things aren’t worth any amount of money. Already wanted to leave, finding out I will never make comparable wages for amount of time at the company makes me realize I made the right choice to find another career.

Old 11-13-2021, 01:01 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times
[quote=Corporatelife;62306840]
Quote:

Not sure. Some posters have said maybe market was higher when they were brought in. Market is favorable now so I will go. Honestly I wouldn’t want to work 60 hours a week as a standard. Some things aren’t worth any amount of money. Already wanted to leave, finding out I will never make comparable wages for amount of time at the company makes me realize I made the right choice to find another career.
For all the gibberish people will post here about your lack of ability, the fact is that companies pay the minimum they can get away with.
This is why people who have been in a company for 10 years often make less than the people who are hired in the same role, with lesser experience.

Don't be frustrated. If you find a good opportunity, move out.

And remember, a lower salary is not always due to your incompetence. Quite a lot of times in life, it is about being in the right place at the right time.

Old 11-13-2021, 04:47 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Instead of beoytching about it, negotiate a salary adjustment for the extra work.

Old 11-13-2021, 05:39 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
[quote=nirvana07;62307112]
Quote:

For all the gibberish people will post here about your lack of ability, the fact is that companies pay the minimum they can get away with.
This is why people who have been in a company for 10 years often make less than the people who are hired in the same role, with lesser experience.

And remember, a lower salary is not always due to your incompetence. Quite a lot of times in life, it is about being in the right place at the right time.
Exactly correct. Life isn't fair. Many companies want to pay the lowest salary that they can get away with. In your management's eyes, you may be the most valuable employee since you work hard, are more experienced than your peers, but they pay you the least for it. Thus, you are a truly valued employee. But that does not do anything for you money wise. And now you are putting in 60 hour weeks and your overtime work is uncompensated. Even more of a great deal for your employer! Your management is squeezing as much work out of you as they can. And a 2.5 percent raise for an "Exceeds Expectations" rating. Something is very wrong there.

I think that you are correct in looking around for something better. Those permanent 60 hour weeks will take their toll on you. I used to work 60 to 90 hour weeks for YEARS. You pretty much become a zombie with no life. That is not a good existence and you miss out on a lot.

Last edited by BusinessManIT; 11-13-2021 at 06:06 AM..

Old 11-13-2021, 06:35 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe you should fight for an increase in pay for taking on that part time job? It can't hurt to try. At least you'll be making more until you leave if they do give it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Quote:

Unfortunately, quotes were messed up by the OP when they quoted jdawg, so you quoted OP but it looks like you quoted jdawg. Watch those broken quote tags, I take them out or will type out the {/quote} like I did above when I quoted the OP and jdawg when it originally got messed up. When you reply to a messed up quote, you would take out the name you're not replying to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment