Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 09:37 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporatelife View Post
I believe my salary is below market for the additional responsibilities I have been given that were not discussed at my interview.
So - go to your manager, and then your manager's manager, and tell them what salary you now require. If they agree, fine.

If not, quit.

But before you do that, I suggest you calculate how much profit you are generating for your employer, and use that calculation to bolster your case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2021, 09:49 AM

39 posts, read 22,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
Personally, I cringe a little when I see a post like this, but I understand why it would be frustrating. It doesn't matter what your colleagues make, especially if you were happy with your salary before you found out. A company has no requirement to pay everyone the same, nor should they. The hiring manager has a responsibility to find the best labor at the best price. The future employee wants to find the best employer at what they believe is their best wage. The best match is when both employee and employee have their needs met. Has nothing to do with the guy next to you.

If you feel you are underpaid. It's up to you to meet with your manager, build your case, and negotiate a higher pay based on your contributions to the organization or using market data to support that your role commands a higher wage. The manager certainly won't do it for you. Saying that the guy sitting next to you makes more than you is a weak argument. They either agree with you and increase your wage, or they don't. If they don't, you can decide if you will settle for continuing at that wage, or if you're willing to risk moving to another company. Honestly, the majority of situations require you to move jobs every two or three years to get any substantial bump in pay. In very few scenarios does staying at one company translate into maximizing your income over time. Good luck!
Great points! I am unhappy with the number of hours I am currently working. They are also downsizing our team. They called one a lay-off, but the FTE was moved to another role in a different department. The company stated in a large scale meeting there have been zero lay-offs, but our Director said we lost one person on our team due to a layoff. They just moved the FTE to another area.

The thought of being purposely short staffed while earning less is not acceptable. I calculated my hourly wage with these additional hours. I am making less than my daughter at an entry level job as an LPN. I am an RN. I am actually making less now per hour than I have for the last 20 years based on hours worked in this current role. I have been in management but have never had an expected 60 hour work week.

I think it is better to just leave at this point instead of asking for more money and still having no work life balance.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:06 PM

181 posts, read 159,623 times
Agree, there's a high demand for RN's, so I'd be less concerned if trying a new employer. I'd make the move while ensuring not burning any bridges. Get a pay jump, work at another place a while, then try to hop back if you feel like it, gaining another bump up. Glad to hear a plan is formulating for you!

Old 11-13-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
Agree, there's a high demand for RN's, so I'd be less concerned if trying a new employer. I'd make the move while ensuring not burning any bridges. Get a pay jump, work at another place a while, then try to hop back if you feel like it, gaining another bump up. Glad to hear a plan is formulating for you!
Thank you! Great advice!

Old 11-13-2021, 01:21 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,548,500 times
The psychology is interesting in that we are often fine with the status quo until we compare to others and perceive an injustice. I experienced something similar years ago. In the end I made sure I was ready to move on and had a plan in place. Then I told my boss what I needed. To my surprise he agreed. But after that it was uncomfortable and I left within the year anyway.p to go back to school.

Old 11-13-2021, 01:21 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
A company I worked for was the opposite.

New hires came in with salaries higher than seasoned staff because raises were pathetic. The longer you stayed the less you earned. In some cases, direct reports were making MORE than their managers. Some people left for six months and then came back to get a better title and more money.

That was a sick environment.

Old 11-13-2021, 01:33 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporatelife View Post
Been with my company almost 2 years. Found out recently 2 of the 3 people on my team are making 50k more a year than me. They have been with the company 10 years and I had more experience in the field when I started. Even if I stay at the company 15 years, I will never catch up to their current salary.

One coworker got tired of working in our development team, so the responsibility was shifted to me, which adds about 15 hours a week into my 40 hour workload.

I am looking for other jobs now. Just dumbfounded. I negotiated to the top of what they said was the top salary range when I started. So aggravated!
Your wokeness is strong. Let's flip the roles, how about if you were in their shoes making $50k more than a new guy that's only been with the firm for less than 2 years. How do you feel? I happen to laugh at all of you making only $50k more with 10+ years of experience.

Old 11-13-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
The psychology is interesting in that we are often fine with the status quo until we compare to others and perceive an injustice. I experienced something similar years ago. In the end I made sure I was ready to move on and had a plan in place. Then I told my boss what I needed. To my surprise he agreed. But after that it was uncomfortable and I left within the year anyway.p to go back to school.
Very true! I have read that most people to take a salary match at their current employer after getting another offer leave within the year.

I was already putting applications in prior to finding out.

Hoping you got even more money after furthering your education.

Old 11-13-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Your wokeness is strong. Let's flip the roles, how about if you were in their shoes making $50k more than a new guy that's only been with the firm for less than 2 years. How do you feel? I happen to laugh at all of you making only $50k more with 10+ years of experience.
This means they have received a 5.5 percent raise every year (compared to my 2.5 for getting the highest rating of exceeds) or they were started higher to begin with.

The math does not add up for the same job title with zero promotion opportunity.

I agree with you- the only way to maximize my income while keeping a reasonable work life balance is to leave.

Old 11-13-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
A company I worked for was the opposite.

New hires came in with salaries higher than seasoned staff because raises were pathetic. The longer you stayed the less you earned. In some cases, direct reports were making MORE than their managers. Some people left for six months and then came back to get a better title and more money.

That was a sick environment.
I agree that is not a good extreme either. My husbands job is like this. New hires match long term employees.

If I could match year for year based on time at job, that seems reasonable. To find out employees started out higher 8 years before me just has me shaking my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment