Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 07:35 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporatelife View Post
Agreed! 60 hour weeks should not be looked at like a badge of honor.
So why are you doing it? Is someone else responsible for your pay and hours? If they are, that means you aren't a top performer who can set those variables?

Whose fault is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 08:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
I did not mean I would ever catch up to them. I meant I would never catch up based on years of service. If I get an exceeds every year with a top raise of 2.5 percent, i would be at the company for 19 years to match what they earned being employed 10 years.
True, but that's based on a pitiful 2.5% annual raise. Perhaps they were recipients of larger raises. There is always hoe for the company giving larger future raises. I thought we were tight with the money having maximum 4.5% performance based raises. Neither your 2.5% nor our 4.5% is even close to the current inflation of 6.2%.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:14 AM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Instead of beoytching about it, negotiate a salary adjustment for the extra work.
You might try that, but I would keep looking to move on. You were not in the right place at the right time, apparently, when you hired on.

Old 11-15-2021, 01:40 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
This is just the way the cookie crumbles. My husband worked part time, after her retired, at Home Depot. It took him eight years to get to $16. an hour. He quit this year, when they started hiring anyone who could pass a drug test at $16.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:09 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
You do the same job, you should get the same pay.

If it took someone else 8 years or 10 to get to their current salary, what do you want the company to do still start someone at the rate where you started 8 or 10 years ago? The going rate today is the going rate today. It is what it is.

I did work somewhere where current employees got angry because newbies were coming in and making almost what the tenured people were making. But, hey, after probation, when they were cleared to work independently those newbies would be doing the same job as the tenured employees. With the same experience? No. With the same confidence of knowing what they were doing? No. Same title. Absolutely. So, same title, same pay?

Old 11-16-2021, 06:39 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

If it took someone else 8 years or 10 to get to their current salary, what do you want the company to do still start someone at the rate where you started 8 or 10 years ago? The going rate today is the going rate today. It is what it is.

I did work somewhere where current employees got angry because newbies were coming in and making almost what the tenured people were making. But, hey, after probation, when they were cleared to work independently those newbies would be doing the same job as the tenured employees. With the same experience? No. With the same confidence of knowing what they were doing? No. Same title. Absolutely. So, same title, same pay?

I agree. After 8-10 years, most people have moved up to a higher level that would have higher compensation that new employees. But if not, then they can expect to be receiving entry level pay. Some jobs just don't have room for skills growth. A person doing a simple and repetitive task is probably not going to be doing it much better after ten years than they were after six months, at least not to where it would justify a higher pay rate.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:56 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Been with my company almost 2 years. Found out recently 2 of the 3 people on my team are making 50k more a year than me.
But you were fine until you found this out, right?

This is exactly why companies stomp down hard on discussions of salary. "But someone else makes more!" is not a justification for you to be making more. If you felt underpaid, you could and should have had that discussion independently of worrying about anyone else.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:23 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Let's say your overly simplified premise is true. It would only be relevant if there wasn't someone who wasn't willing to take the job at less pay. Apparently there is.

If you think that it's your employer's job to know your self-worth, well then.....pikers be piking.

Old 11-17-2021, 02:18 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
What I am saying is it would take me about 17 years to make what they are making now. I am not saying I expect to catch up to them one day. They are 50 percent higher for 8 more years of service. I received 2.5 percent for an exceeds expectations rating on my review. I am working 60 hour weeks now due to the responsibility of one job taken away from a high earner and given to me. If I thought I could make what they are making now in 8 more years or even remotely close I would be happy with that.
False,
you can tell them that you are going to somewhere else and they need to counter offer.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:27 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
[/b]

Let's say your overly simplified premise is true. It would only be relevant if there wasn't someone who wasn't willing to take the job at less pay. Apparently there is.

If you think that it's your employer's job to know your self-worth, well then.....pikers be piking.
If it's a decent job, and doesn't demand a purple unicorn skill set, there's always someone willing to do it for less than you are.

With same experience, education, etc.? Maybe not.
But the employer who's willing to pay less may not care about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment