Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,138,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My statement about doing everything right was about me. After being rejected the entire month of february I said that I'm doing something wrong and I need to figure out what it is and by April I figured out it was how I interviewed. Up until April, I became more conversational on interviews which made me more likable and that's why I had 3 job offers in one month. I agreed with everything the interviewer said and showed how much I valued their opinion about the company. Before April I never did any of that which is why I was getting rejected. I learned that job interviews are all about seeing if your personality is a good fit not how much work experience you have and how many degrees you have because it was already determined that you were qualified for the job from your experience and education when they called you in for a interview. So do like I did and think about what you could have done better in your interviews and make the necessary adjustments. Remember you have to be your worst critic at a time like this.
Likeable? What a crock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:26 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,123,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Could you be any more arrogant?

I'm Arrogant because I was my worst critic?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:28 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,311,760 times
Quote:
Could you be any more arrogant?
I don't know why you would find TVandSportsGuy post as arrogant. I agree with him. If a person thinks what they are doing in their job search is right and it isn't working......maybe they are wrong in their assumption. I would come home and continue to tweak my resume, plus go back through every word spoken in the interview until I figured out what I needed to change.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:29 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Likeable? What a crock.
Well I think so because when I ran into a person at a training who interviewed for a job I turned down a month ago, she smiled and said-"we would have loved to have you"

That was very nice of her to say which proved my personality shined on the day of the interview.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:30 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I don't know why you would find TVandSportsGuy post as arrogant. I agree with him. If a person thinks what they are doing in their job search is right and it isn't working......maybe they are wrong in their assumption. I would come home and continue to tweak my resume, plus go back through every word spoken in the interview until I figured out what I needed to change.
I know, I;m arrogant because I felt I needed improvement-lol

Don't understand that all

Old 07-03-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
That might work in parts of the country, but tell that to the person who has been out of work in Detroit for the past eight months. There are some palces where there is simply no work, and there's not going to be work anytime soon. In some cases relocating is going to be the only option.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well I think so because when I ran into a person at a training who interviewed for a job I turned down a month ago, she smiled and said-"we would have loved to have you"

That was very nice of her to say which proved my personality shined on the day of the interview.
No it proves they couldn't find anyone else to work as cheap as you would.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:41 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,809,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Annerk raises a good point. Many employers now want you to be available 24/7. So if you say I can't do nights (as in my case right now) or I don't want to do this shift or that shift, you get cut from the consideration pile.

So this cuts out a lot of parents (particularly moms) from working.
I'm a student and I definitely know that limits me.
Thank goodness I found a place that didn't hold my student status against me and works with my schedule.

Most economists agree that jobs are the last thing to recover in a recession. It's just a vicious cycle. Consumers aren't spending because they are worried about losing their job or have lot their job, companies cut more jobs because they are dependent on consumers spending.....

I definitely think moving towards renewable energy will bring more jobs. Our economy will be a lot healthier if we're less reliant on foreign sources for our energy needs.
Building a better public transportation system would create plenty of jobs. I'd love to be able to catch a high speed train from Little Rock to Dallas or Little Rock to Memphis or Nashville. Having people build the system creates jobs, once it's done you have to hire people to maintain the trains, conduct the trains, customer service reps, etc.
I'd love less of my money going towards filling up my car and funding terrorists and would rather spend my money on a bus pass. Of course the bus system in the Little Rock/NLR area sucks.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:53 AM

137 posts, read 332,323 times
Quote:
That might work in parts of the country, but tell that to the person who has been out of work in Detroit for the past eight months. There are some palces where there is simply no work, and there's not going to be work anytime soon. In some cases relocating is going to be the only option.
I'm that guy and I live in that place. Ahhh, help. Where do I move too???

Old 07-03-2009, 09:20 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,098,174 times
Okay so if I have idle chit chat with my interviewer they will LIKE me and they will hire me??

I'm all for learning from interviews but I will drive myself crazy analyzing the minutia about 'what did I say, look, do wrong?'

My husband said to me today, "It's not you, it's them. F*** them if they don't want you." I am starting to believe this.

I don't mean to be arrogant, but it's their loss. And if they have a problem because I tawk a little NY or I'm not 25 years old, well, yeah, screw them. Who wants to work for them anyhow?

I'm getting a lot of material for my future books being unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment