Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 05:42 AM

80 posts, read 50,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Right now there is a truck driver shortage of about 650,000 jobs that need to be filled I know some drivers that make in excessive of $75,000 a year and are on vacation all the time because they get to travel all over this great nation of ours, being a truck driver is a lifestyle that today’s youth don’t want because they want to sit in a office instead of a cab of a truck.
Most OTR drivers make around $40,000 per year for a job where they are gone constantly, develop health problems due to bad diet and sedentary lifestyle, have a huge risk of being involved in a career-ending accident, and don't have time to do much of anything besides drive, eat, and sleep.

You should go to a truck stop and ask some of the drivers if they are enjoying their vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 07:02 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyedyeguy View Post
Most OTR drivers make around $40,000 per year for a job where they are gone constantly, develop health problems due to bad diet and sedentary lifestyle, have a huge risk of being involved in a career-ending accident, and don't have time to do much of anything besides drive, eat, and sleep.

You should go to a truck stop and ask some of the drivers if they are enjoying their vacations.
I know for a fact that many drivers mak $75,000 and up my daughter is one of them she been a Truck driver for almost 20 yrs,. My brother was a driver and a owner operator he had 5 steel haulers he paid his drivers back in the 90’s 60 cent a mile and their medical some of his drivers were making over $75,000 a year. Many drivers love the open road with no bosses looking over them. Today’s workers don’t want to truck drivers because they can’t even drive a manual transmission automobiles. I know plenty of drivers my good friend I grew up around the trucking industry in the metro Detroit area and I’m 63 so I’ve seen it all. I had plenty of friends who were OTR truckers and they loved the open road and the places they have been to. I also know a husband and wife who both drive semi hauling concert equipment all over for bands like Rush, Rod Stewart, John Folgerty witch I got free back stage passes when he was playing in Tampa Florida when I lived there and they made over $100,000 and are still doing it today. You have to hustle to make it pay off when you first start but you can make good money if you’re fast and on time with your delevires, so you can snatch another load and go.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:42 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I know for a fact that many drivers mak $75,000 and up my daughter is one of them she been a Truck driver for almost 20 yrs,. My brother was a driver and a owner operator he had 5 steel haulers he paid his drivers back in the 90’s 60 cent a mile and their medical some of his drivers were making over $75,000 a year. Many drivers love the open road with no bosses looking over them. Today’s workers don’t want to truck drivers because they can’t even drive a manual transmission automobiles. I know plenty of drivers my good friend I grew up around the trucking industry in the metro Detroit area and I’m 63 so I’ve seen it all. I had plenty of friends who were OTR truckers and they loved the open road and the places they have been to. I also know a husband and wife who both drive semi hauling concert equipment all over for bands like Rush, Rod Stewart, John Folgerty witch I got free back stage passes when he was playing in Tampa Florida when I lived there and they made over $100,000 and are still doing it today. You have to hustle to make it pay off when you first start but you can make good money if you’re fast and on time with your delevires, so you can snatch another load and go.
Nobody in trucking starts off making that right out of the gate. Not even food or beverage delivery drivers. That kind of money comes with years of experience and a clean driving record. The top shelf companies aren't going to take their chances on a rookie or somebody with limited experience. The concert hauling companies like Road Show sure as crap don't take drivers who are still wet behind the ears.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Nobody in trucking starts off making that right out of the gate. Not even food or beverage delivery drivers. That kind of money comes with years of experience and a clean driving record. The top shelf companies aren't going to take their chances on a rookie or somebody with limited experience. The concert hauling companies like Road Show sure as crap don't take drivers who are still wet behind the ears.
If you read what I said at the end of my post I said new drivers have to hustle to make any good money. And my friends who drive for the concerts have been driving for many years but you have to start somewhere. People have this misconception that you start out making big money no you have to pay your dues with people today don’t want to do. And to get a job by the LTL carriers witch most are union teamsters drivers mak great money. And as a owner operator it takes time to make the big bucks because you’re responsible for your own rig. But you can make a decent living driving truck. But like i said before people today want the big bucks with out working for it. And were I live there are also UAW drivers who work for the big3. The average salary for a truck driver in Michigan is $76,265 here is a link to check out yourself.

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Truc...ries,-Michigan

Last edited by easy62; 07-21-2018 at 09:21 AM..

Old 07-21-2018, 12:59 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Sometimes you have to MOVE to where the jobs are! What a concept!

Old 07-21-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Sometimes you have to MOVE to where the jobs are! What a concept!
That’s right

Old 07-21-2018, 06:12 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Most all employers require at least 6 months- year of Driving experience before hire even if you have a CDL. Its like most other supposed "entry level jobs" that require 2-5 years experience. ITs a typical EXCUSE to not hire anyone by these cheap employers today. In a sane world, someone gets their CDL, shadows a current experienced employee for a month or two and off to the races they go.

Nahhh.. That makes too much sense for these sociopathic executive nut jobs today. Its the same as going in debt for a degree. They want you to follow step A and then you're screwed once you hit Step B and can't move from there.

Entry level should be just that.. ENTRY LEVEL. Not Entry level requiring 2-5 years experience. Then its not entry level

Bunch of IDIOTS. You should be jailed for idiocy. It should be a new national mandate. It would make the country more pleasant to be in

Last edited by DorianRo; 07-21-2018 at 07:15 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 07:31 PM

80 posts, read 50,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Most all employers require at least 6 months- year of Driving experience before hire even if you have a CDL. Its like most other supposed "entry level jobs" that require 2-5 years experience. ITs a typical EXCUSE to not hire anyone by these cheap employers today. In a sane world, someone gets their CDL, shadows a current experienced employee for a month or two and off to the races they go.

Nahhh.. That makes too much sense for these sociopathic executive nut jobs today. Its the same as going in debt for a degree. They want you to follow step A and then you're screwed once you hit Step B and can't move from there.

Entry level should be just that.. ENTRY LEVEL. Not Entry level requiring 2-5 years experience. Then its not entry level

Bunch of IDIOTS. You should be jailed for idiocy. It should be a new national mandate. It would make the country more pleasant to be in
I honestly don't believe I've ever dealt with anyone either online or out in the real world with such an awful attitude.

Also, you absolutely can get a job right out of CDL school with no experience by working for one of the mega trucking companies like Werner, Swift, CR England, etc.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:35 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Quote:
I honestly don't believe I've ever dealt with anyone either online or out in the real world with such an awful attitude.

Also, you absolutely can get a job right out of CDL school with no experience by working for one of the mega trucking companies like Werner, Swift, CR England, etc.

No you can't. Especially in the big corporate trucking companies that pay the most competitive wages. . (Fedex, UPS, Old Dominion, etc) They won't even CONSIDER someone without the mandated experience in the job posting. So quit spewing lies to people And don't be a corporate apologist please. Ive spent a decade around the logistical/distribution environment and know the game and know the lies by sociopaths.

If you think you're gonna come fresh out of CDL school and steal a job opening from someone who has been driving for a major F500 company or another for years, you're gonna be in for a world of disappointment.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Yep you sure can Schneider and JB Hunt will hire you that’s how most new drivers get their experience behind the wheel go. Some people on here haven’t a clue what in the heck they are talking about but they think they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment