Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 07:43 PM

6,981 posts, read 5,485,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
No you can't. Especially in the big corporate trucking companies that pay the most competitive wages. . (Fedex, UPS, Old Dominion, etc) They won't even CONSIDER someone without the mandated experience in the job posting. So quit spewing lies to people And don't be a corporate apologist please. Ive spend a decade around in the logistical/distribution environment and know the game and know the lies by sociopaths.

If you think you're gonna come fresh out of CDL school and steal a job opening from someone who has been driving for a major F500 company or another for years, you're gonna be in for a world of disappointment.
New drivers mostly start working with JB Hunt or Schneider or the other mega OTR trucking companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 08:23 PM

7,988 posts, read 5,023,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
New drivers mostly start working with JB Hunt or Schneider or the other mega OTR trucking companies.

IF they have to compete with experience truck drivers with months/years experience, they will hired on a part time basis. And the fact is, there are more job hunters than Job openings these days. There more CDL graduates or College graduates we have now, the worse the chances are

Old 07-21-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
IF they have to compete with experience truck drivers with months/years experience, they will hired on a part time basis. And the fact is, there are more job hunters than Job openings these days. There more CDL graduates or College graduates we have now, the worse the chances are
Believe me they won’t have to compete with other drivers you do know that there is a driver shortage of semi truck drivers right.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ces/535870002/

Old 07-22-2018, 04:51 AM

80 posts, read 50,427 times
Quote:
Hired as an OTR driver on a part time basis? Wow, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

In general, if you have a clean MVR and can get through the CDL training, you shouldn't have a problem finding a starter job with one of the mega trucking companies.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyedyeguy View Post
Hired as an OTR driver on a part time basis? Wow, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

In general, if you have a clean MVR and can get through the CDL training, you shouldn't have a problem finding a starter job with one of the mega trucking companies.
Correct we’re do people come up with these answers because they are false, I guess they think they know the trucking industry but in fact never even drove a 18 wheeer all the fake news on here is killing me. I posted a link to show how much of a truck driver shortage there is in this country and people come up with these silly answers.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,206,664 times
Quote:
No you can't. Especially in the big corporate trucking companies that pay the most competitive wages. . (Fedex, UPS, Old Dominion, etc) They won't even CONSIDER someone without the mandated experience in the job posting. So quit spewing lies to people And don't be a corporate apologist please. Ive spent a decade around the logistical/distribution environment and know the game and know the lies by sociopaths.

If you think you're gonna come fresh out of CDL school and steal a job opening from someone who has been driving for a major F500 company or another for years, you're gonna be in for a world of disappointment.
Ummm, yes they can. Werner, Swift, JB Hunt, Schneider, CR England, Central Refrigerated, FFE, SRT, and maybe even Forward Air, etc. are all starter companies. Hell, at Forward Air, you don't even need to know English or how to read it in order to work for them. They and the rest of the coolie carriers will take any warm body with a class A CDL.

As for LTL, yeah, in most cases, they won't take a new driver without the required amount of experience. Some LTL companies will train their warehouse workers to become truck drivers.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Ummm, yes they can. Werner, Swift, JB Hunt, Schneider, CR England, Central Refrigerated, FFE, SRT, and maybe even Forward Air, etc. are all starter companies. Hell, at Forward Air, you don't even need to know English or how to read it in order to work for them. They and the rest of the coolie carriers will take any warm body with a class A CDL.

As for LTL, yeah, in most cases, they won't take a new driver without the required amount of experience. Some LTL companies will train their warehouse workers to become truck drivers.
Correct on LTL drivers because most are Teamsters and every driver wants to be a Union driver because of the pay and union benefits.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:47 AM

18,774 posts, read 18,281,522 times
Quote:

On my local forum we have a new driver that just started with FedEx. Right now the tonnage is up: ATA - ATA Truck Tonnage Index Rose 0.7 Percent in May. Companies are looking for new drivers. I was lucky that I was taken under the wing of an experienced sleeper team driver many years ago at CF. It really helps having an experienced driver in the cab with you; especially the first year.

Today the traditional big union companies are not like they were 30 years ago. Many have gone out of business; like my old CF. New drivers do have to be very careful what they are signing; many companies are out to save a dollar wherever they can.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
On my local forum we have a new driver that just started with FedEx. Right now the tonnage is up: ATA - ATA Truck Tonnage Index Rose 0.7 Percent in May. Companies are looking for new drivers. I was lucky that I was taken under the wing of an experienced sleeper team driver many years ago at CF. It really helps having an experienced driver in the cab with you; especially the first year.

Today the traditional big union companies are not like they were 30 years ago. Many have gone out of business; like my old CF. New drivers do have to be very careful what they are signing; many companies are out to save a dollar wherever they can.
These are some of the big union freight companies FedEx, UPS, Yellow freight, USF Holland

Old 07-22-2018, 06:21 PM

18,774 posts, read 18,281,522 times
Quote:
These are some of the big union freight companies FedEx, UPS, Yellow freight, USF Holland

Check the stock prices before you seek employment with YRCW which also owns USF Holland. They are not setting the world on fire with the stock trading at about $10/share. UPS is trading around $112 per share; the company is considerably stronger. FedEx is not a union company; but they are the strongest company on the stock market trading at about $234/share. ABF is a union company that is trading stronger than YRCW at about $46/share.

While the stock market does not always predict the doors closing or wage cuts; it can be an indicator. It is wise, when looking for long term employment, to keep current market stock prices in the back of your mind. I watched CF's stock tank and I took almost all my personal leave before they locked the doors. It saved me thousands of dollars in lost benefits by looking and then predicting the close.

You might also look at Old Dominion stock (ODFL), another nonunion company, that is trading at about $149/share. If you max out the stock graph you will see that they have constantly and consistently gained in value over a long period of time. I have known several of the drivers and most seem to like the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment