Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:59 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Check the stock prices before you seek employment with YRCW which also owns USF Holland. They are not setting the world on fire with the stock trading at about $10/share. UPS is trading around $112 per share; the company is considerably stronger. FedEx is not a union company; but they are the strongest company on the stock market trading at about $234/share. ABF is a union company that is trading stronger than YRCW at about $46/share.

While the stock market does not always predict the doors closing or wage cuts; it can be an indicator. It is wise, when looking for long term employment, to keep current market stock prices in the back of your mind. I watched CF's stock tank and I took almost all my personal leave before they locked the doors. It saved me thousands of dollars in lost benefits by looking and then predicting the close.

You might also look at Old Dominion stock (ODFL), another nonunion company, that is trading at about $149/share. If you max out the stock graph you will see that they have constantly and consistently gained in value over a long period of time. I have known several of the drivers and most seem to like the company.
YRCW is not in trouble just because their stock prices are low, they are a huge company there are many companies on the stock market wiypth low stock prices. They are the third largest LTL carrier in the country and they are not done yet with their buying spree of other LTL companies. But it’s hard to get into these union drivers companies because they promote from within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:58 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
YRCW is not in trouble just because their stock prices are low, they are a huge company there are many companies on the stock market wiypth low stock prices. They are the third largest LTL carrier in the country and they are not done yet with their buying spree of other LTL companies. But it’s hard to get into these union drivers companies because they promote from within.

When CF closed their doors I went to YRCW. At First it was Roadway and then Yellow bought us to become the YRCW. I had 25 years with CF and 5 years with YRCW; which gave me my 30 years. I hit my 30 years just about the time they closed the large terminal close to my house; so that worked out for me!

Temporary jobs are the curse of many of the large freight companies today. One has to fight their way through the maze to get hired on full time. I was lucky because I was hired on full time from the beginning in the 1970's. By the time I applied to YRWC I had many years experience with a great work record and they quickly hired me.

I did like working for CF; I did not like working for YRCW. I just felt like it was more of a team effort with CF compared to the YRCW management that seemed very indifferent to the workers. I did not agree with their business decisions. There are many other companies out there. Some are really losers which do not pay the best wages. If I had no years in the union I would be tempted today to look at Old Dominion or maybe Estes and R&L Carriers. Even Walmart drivers can make good money; but Walmart is known for it's control over you. I would look at any company that would hire me full time and pay decent wages. On the union side I would look at UPS first (keeping in mind to try to avoid their temp system).

Old 07-23-2018, 07:10 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,743 times
Quote:
I did like working for CF; I did not like working for YRCW. I just felt like it was more of a team effort with CF compared to the YRCW management that seemed very indifferent to the workers. I did not agree with their business decisions. There are many other companies out there. Some are really losers which do not pay the best wages. If I had no years in the union I would be tempted today to look at Old Dominion or maybe Estes and R&L Carriers. Even Walmart drivers can make good money; but Walmart is known for it's control over you. I would look at any company that would hire me full time and pay decent wages. On the union side I would look at UPS first (keeping in mind to try to avoid their temp system).
You don't wanna deal with Estes. They don't pay OT until after 55 hours. That's f'ing ludicrous! Walmart private fleet switched from hourly to mileage based pay and got rid of a ton of the perks to the job. Many of their old drivers quit and have been replaced by new'ish drivers who don't know they're being taken advantage of. The company I work for just recently had a pay raise but at the expense of the amount of hours worked. My paychecks went from what I had posted in another thread down to just over $830, net. It's pathetic. If this company I work for would just pay OT after 40 instead of 45hrs, it would be much better than the weak ass disingenuous "raises" the drivers receive once in a while.

There are a ton of pathetic companies in this area. The only hope I have is getting on with a union outfit that doesn't totally suck. System, out of Aston/Chichester, is a union outfit. However, when I asked their recruiter about their pay, perks, bennies, and the such, he wouldn't or couldn't tell me anything. That is very telling about the kind of company they are. I want no part of it.

Even Sunoco blows donkey nuts since they've been merged/bought out by Energy Transfer Partners. Theye have a ton of openings in the crude oil patch in the mid-west. I've done that kind of work before. I'll never go back to it. The health risks aren't worth the time and trouble.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
You don't wanna deal with Estes. They don't pay OT until after 55 hours. That's f'ing ludicrous! Walmart private fleet switched from hourly to mileage based pay and got rid of a ton of the perks to the job. Many of their old drivers quit and have been replaced by new'ish drivers who don't know they're being taken advantage of. The company I work for just recently had a pay raise but at the expense of the amount of hours worked. My paychecks went from what I had posted in another thread down to just over $830, net. It's pathetic. If this company I work for would just pay OT after 40 instead of 45hrs, it would be much better than the weak ass disingenuous "raises" the drivers receive once in a while.

There are a ton of pathetic companies in this area. The only hope I have is getting on with a union outfit that doesn't totally suck. System, out of Aston/Chichester, is a union outfit. However, when I asked their recruiter about their pay, perks, bennies, and the such, he wouldn't or couldn't tell me anything. That is very telling about the kind of company they are. I want no part of it.

Even Sunoco blows donkey nuts since they've been merged/bought out by Energy Transfer Partners. Theye have a ton of openings in the crude oil patch in the mid-west. I've done that kind of work before. I'll never go back to it. The health risks aren't worth the time and trouble.

Every company tries to cut corners. I retired about ten years ago and, at that time, I was making about $75K/year. Some companies were only paying $40K and $50K to do the same work as I was doing.

I had thought about going to Walmart at one time, right after CF closed. I applied and was accepted but I did not like the control they would have over me as a driver. They could put me to bed just miles from my house and I was not allowed to go home. Plus you could get fired for what you said on the CB or that was what I was told. Some of the older drivers did claim they made good wages. Part of that was because of the Walmart system that paid like you were staying in a motel even though you were sleeping in the parking lot - but I did not really understand how the system worked.

I did not know that about Estes; they are a privately owned company and I think R&L is also privately owned. How is Old Dominion to work for today? The drivers I use to talk to did like the company; but things change. They ended up with my old CF terminal down in Carlisle PA. I do like their financials because of increased growth. Carlisle, PA is a good place for any CDL holder to look for employment; many options.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:49 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,743 times
Quote:

I did not know that about Estes; they are a privately owned company and I think R&L is also privately owned. How is Old Dominion to work for today? The drivers I use to talk to did like the company; but things change. They ended up with my old CF terminal down in Carlisle PA. I do like their financials because of increased growth. Carlisle, PA is a good place for any CDL holder to look for employment; many options.
I didn't know that about Estes until a former driver of theirs came on with the outfit I'm with. He spilled all the beans. They'll run their drivers into the ground without giving a damn. As for Walmart, the pay for sleeping in the berth was a per-diem. A 10hr break was like being paid $11 an hour. It worked out well for those drivers. Basically, they were being paid an hourly wage for the entire time they were away from their home DC. Unfortunately it's not like that anymore. I tried getting on with their private fleet out of Plainview, TX. If I could have made what they used to pay, I'd have lived like a king in the Tejas Panhandle.

I pass through Carlisle every other day while making my way to Pittsburgh. That town has always been a bustling metropolis for the logistics industry. I remember the madness of that place when I went there the first time 14 years ago as a rookie long hauler. It was kind of intimidating at first, but I became used to it. Now I find myself visiting Bronx at least once every other week. Thankfully it's late at night and before the morning rush begins.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I didn't know that about Estes until a former driver of theirs came on with the outfit I'm with. He spilled all the beans. They'll run their drivers into the ground without giving a damn. As for Walmart, the pay for sleeping in the berth was a per-diem. A 10hr break was like being paid $11 an hour. It worked out well for those drivers. Basically, they were being paid an hourly wage for the entire time they were away from their home DC. Unfortunately it's not like that anymore. I tried getting on with their private fleet out of Plainview, TX. If I could have made what they used to pay, I'd have lived like a king in the Tejas Panhandle.

I pass through Carlisle every other day while making my way to Pittsburgh. That town has always been a bustling metropolis for the logistics industry. I remember the madness of that place when I went there the first time 14 years ago as a rookie long hauler. It was kind of intimidating at first, but I became used to it. Now I find myself visiting Bronx at least once every other week. Thankfully it's late at night and before the morning rush begins.
I use to run into the City and most times it was late at night. I hated the rush hour traffic in the morning and evening. Most of my years on the road I ran sleeper team running South and West. For a long time I had a run to Orlando three times a week out of Carlisle; that paid pretty good. I think most of my weekly take home paychecks were $1,500 to $1,700 and sometimes over $2,000. I really had no complaints and I liked the Southern roads. For sometime we also ran out to LA, Laredo, Dallas, Houston and Minneapolis. I preferred the sleeper team when available and when I had a good partner.

How is the Old Dominion terminal doing in Carlisle? I miss some of the food down there. There was one little restaurant I went to for the grinders, one Italian restaurant I went to for their steak sandwiches and one Chinese restaurant that made a chicken and cashews I could eat morning noon and night! It's good I am not down there anymore; I put on too much weight!

Old 07-23-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
When CF closed their doors I went to YRCW. At First it was Roadway and then Yellow bought us to become the YRCW. I had 25 years with CF and 5 years with YRCW; which gave me my 30 years. I hit my 30 years just about the time they closed the large terminal close to my house; so that worked out for me!

Temporary jobs are the curse of many of the large freight companies today. One has to fight their way through the maze to get hired on full time. I was lucky because I was hired on full time from the beginning in the 1970's. By the time I applied to YRWC I had many years experience with a great work record and they quickly hired me.

To get a job at ups you have to start out as a temp before they will hire you and then you have to put your name on a waiting list to become a package delivery driver or a semi driver because everyone wants these jobs. And their turnover is very small that’s what my friend had to do, and most start out as unloaders that is back breaking because you are timed for anything you do at ups including the drivers.

Last edited by easy62; 07-23-2018 at 09:24 AM..

Old 07-23-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
To get a job at ups you have to start out as a temp before they will hire you and then you have to put your name on a waiting list to become a package delivery driver or a semi driver because everyone wants these jobs. And their turnover is very small that’s what my friend had to do, and most start out as unloaders that is back breaking because you are timed for anything you do at ups including the drivers.

I avoided many of the problems by starting on a brand new freight dock back in the 1970's. They were hungry for workers and quickly hired me. I ended up working night shift most of my career on the dock. Then I moved to the yard and then to the road.

With all of the freight in the system today; it is possible that some companies could be building new docks. Locally we have a tire distribution warehouse going in and I am sure, that Nationally, we have new freight docks. You can check your papers and zoning office to see if any are going in in your area. That would be a good starting point; find employers that are hungry!

Old 07-23-2018, 10:06 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
I don’t take much business advice from people that begain their career 20-30 years ago. Things were actually SANE back then. Most businesses are complete mismanaged messes now which makes it 10’times more difficult to get things done

Old 07-23-2018, 10:11 AM

My older daughter drives for Meijer here in Michigan hers a pick of her truck she is paid 46.5 cents per mile and a certain amount if she has to live un load ar a store and another amount when she drops and hook. And she usually gets 3,000 miles a week in she works 6 days, she is also Union but not Teamsters and she has great benefits. Her fringe pay is $355 a day fringe pay is like when she takes a vacation or a sick day or a holiday. She made a little over $80,000 last year she drives about 3,000 miles a week she loves her job she is one of a handful of women drivers. Me I’m retired I don’t need a job lol lol. This is like the truck she drives.

Attachment 200294

Last edited by easy62; 10-09-2019 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment