Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 04:14 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times

Advertisements

St. Paddy´s day is practically celebrated everywhere especially in Scotland, England and yes Spain. It reminds me of Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Not liking the USA is much like racism. To hate a whole particular group of people and not take the individual into account. Meanwhile the group is comprised of individuals who can all be judged on their individual merits. I would say that the population in America is 96% good....the last 4% ruins the reputation of the nation. If you tell two stories about a person- a good tale and a nasty tale..You will find that human nature dictates that most prefer to believe the bad things.. Sensationalism tickles the sense and we all like to be tickled and stroked with the stronger stimuli, which is the negative one.

Like I have been saying all along- sex sells so does evil...and AMERICA to it's detriment likes to sell bad culture..Look at the film industry...all horrible destructive content...all in the name of sensationalism and profit...little regard for ensuring a good culture or reputation.
I call bs.
I don't like the US culture at all.
That means exactly what?
It only means that I don't like the US culture.

I especially don't like the arrogance, USA = No. 1.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I agree, I never liked many European houses, but I did like the ones I lived in while I lived in Europe. But they have better property rights as a whole there. Here in many places, between HOA's and erratic codes, property rights here are vanishing quick.
I've lived in Europe 3 times and I love my Eurohouses.
Large, roomy, warm, roladen (sp).

Here's a photo of my living room:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Attic Library 1.jpg
Views:	3228
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	97641

And from another view:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Attic Living Room 3.jpg
Views:	2612
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	97642

Old 06-27-2012, 05:53 AM

All depends where in Europe you live, remember every country has its own laws and styles of housing.

I love Scottish housing especially the Victorian/Edwardian styles or the farmhouses. I like some of the Spanish housing but not the rustic type, I prefer the modern type. I dislike American housing the homes are all timber frame and cheap. Will never withstand anything. My home in the US was new and you could punch through the walls and hear everything...i´ll stick to our homes thanks. They´re solid and have character and beauty.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:08 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
St. Paddy´s day is practically celebrated everywhere especially in Scotland, England and yes Spain. It reminds me of Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Irish, Welsh, Gallegos, Britons and Highlanders = Gauls or Celtics

Gauls are syncretic, they worship St. Patrick, Saint James (Santiago), San Borondón (Saint Brendan), Saint Andrews....but in reality they worship the same old deity cornered by invaders. They don't need a mass and a priest drinking wine, but lots of whisky, orujo, poteen and pipes..

Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Irish, Welsh, Gallegos, Britons and Highlanders = Gauls or Celtics

Gauls are syncretic, they worship St. Patrick, Saint James (Santiago), San Borondón (Saint Brendan), Saint Andrews....but in reality they worship the same old deity cornered by invaders. They don't need a mass and a priest drinking wine, but lots of whisky, orujo, poteen and pipes..
Seems a bit generalist.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I call bs.
I don't like the US culture at all.
That means exactly what?
It only means that I don't like the US culture.

I especially don't like the arrogance, USA = No. 1.
A culture that allowed you to be a hippy- then an aging hippy can not be that bad..Yes people ignore reality (ignorance) - and yes there is arrogance...find me one culture on the planet that does not contain ignorance and arrogance. They don't exist. The name AMERICA might cause those abroad feelings of loathing..and surprisingly there are people within the confines of the boarder of America that loath and bite the hand that feeds them..America is like having parents that are not perfect...and some thankless children may bark at their parents with "I hate you" . BUT they are your parents..and your family- and family first- right or wrong.

The arrogance factor is minor. Most Americans do not suffer from blind pride- The ones that do are usually the loudest and do not represent the average.

Now when you talk about American culture..in truth there is none...The nation is such as mishmash of cultures that a singular has trouble arising from the melting pot..culturally- America is a mess..kind of like real bad stew made by an arrogant daughter who can not cook and you do not have the heart to tell her the truth.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 AM

121 posts, read 133,617 times
Quote:
All depends where in Europe you live, remember every country has its own laws and styles of housing.

I love Scottish housing especially the Victorian/Edwardian styles or the farmhouses. I like some of the Spanish housing but not the rustic type, I prefer the modern type. I dislike American housing the homes are all timber frame and cheap. Will never withstand anything. My home in the US was new and you could punch through the walls and hear everything...i´ll stick to our homes thanks. They´re solid and have character and beauty.
Hahaha, Going to throw off on our houses now, too? You're correct that a great deal of new construction in subdivisions is done on the cheap, but there are plenty of people who spend the money to make a sturdy home.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalCarpetRide View Post
Hahaha, Going to throw off on our houses now, too? You're correct that a great deal of new construction in subdivisions is done on the cheap, but there are plenty of people who spend the money to make a sturdy home.
Hmm my house in Scotland is constructed of solid stone and is very old (1800s), my house that I am building in Spain is solid brick which is the norm here, but I am not a fan of the majority of the timber frame houses in the states. I´ve never seen a brick or stone house there - only faux style, but not true form.

Traditional homes in Scotland were made of stand stone too, and general brick they´re solid and will last for years to come.

I lived in the US so I have been there done that and bought the T shirt, so to speak.

I don´t dislike the US but had good and bad experiences with the people in Scotland and in their home land. I find the majority to be quite ignorant, not holding it against them. Also they think they are exempt from our laws because they are American etc etc, this is a thing that I also did not like. My house was huge but timber frame in the "snobby" New Hope area of Columbus, MS.

I would never live in the US again, I have a much better life here in Spain. Everything is much better. I wouldn´t change that for the world.

Last edited by Scotslass; 06-27-2012 at 07:19 AM..

Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 AM

121 posts, read 133,617 times
Quote:
Hmm my house in Scotland is constructed of solid stone and is very old (1800s), my house that I am building in Spain is solid brick which is the norm here, but I am not a fan of the majority of the timber frame houses in the states. I´ve never seen a brick or stone house there.

Traditional homes in Scotland were made of stand stone too, and general brick they´re solid and will last for years to come.
Well, you're absolutely right that stone houses are a rarity in the US, probably because there's so much timber. Brick homes are fairly common, but they are more expensive. My grandfather was a brickmason and I grew up in a brick house. I lived in a house built in 1920 in Kansas and was a wood-frame house. I know 1920 isn't old by European standards. There has been a huge push over the last 30 years for everyone in the US to own a home, so they can be "living the American Dream", and this has led to a focus on quickly built, cheap home construction. That doesn't mean there aren't huge amounts of old, well-built homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.