Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalCarpetRide View Post
Well, you're absolutely right that stone houses are a rarity in the US, probably because there's so much timber. Brick homes are fairly common, but they are more expensive. My grandfather was a brickmason and I grew up in a brick house. I lived in a house built in 1920 in Kansas and was a wood-frame house. I know 1920 isn't old by European standards. There has been a huge push over the last 30 years for everyone in the US to own a home, so they can be "living the American Dream", and this has led to a focus on quickly built, cheap home construction. That doesn't mean there aren't huge amounts of old, well-built homes.
Yes there are nice older Victorian era homes but the wood still rots over time if its not taken care of. I remember seeing some lovely period homes that were left to rot downtown, MS is poor and many of the downtown areas in the US are falling into poverty which is a shame.

I still prefer stone or brick as it is solid, never had to work on my house at all and with the hurricane winds of Jan-Feb we only had some tile damage and that was it. If it had been in the US (typical storms) I would have had much more damage.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:40 AM

121 posts, read 133,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I lived in the US so I have been there done that and bought the T shirt, so to speak.

I don´t dislike the US but had good and bad experiences with the people in Scotland and in their home land. I find the majority to be quite ignorant, not holding it against them. Also they think they are exempt from our laws because they are American etc etc, this is a thing that I also did not like. My house was huge but timber frame in the "snobby" New Hope area of Columbus, MS.

I would never live in the US again, I have a much better life here in Spain. Everything is much better. I wouldn´t change that for the world.
Yes, there are plenty of ignorant people in the US and everyone has heard about the "American Abroad". I have found some of the most ignorant people you will meet live in "snobby" parts of whatever town they choose to live. Is that reflective of all Americans? No, because typically the ignorant ones are the worst about forcing their thoughts on you. As I have said before, it's pointless to argue about what you perceived or didn't, I'm just not sure you can make monolithic statements about the US based on it.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,636 times
I´ve worked with plenty of Americans and traveled all throughout your country and i´ve met very nice and not so many nice Americans like everywhere else but they are the most ignorant nation of people i´ve met in terms of thinking Europe is a country or Spain have 2 suns etc. You wouldn´t believe the amount of stupid questions i´ve been asked and I mean different all over in different states like SC, GA, AL you name it. So yes i´ve traveled all over and its not just the Americans abroad I am talking about. Your average every day American.

I don´t dislike them but they are just the most ignorant nation of people i´ve ever encountered and I have been all over. Being ignorant doesn´t make you a bad person.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I´ve worked with plenty of Americans and traveled all throughout your country and i´ve met very nice and not so many nice Americans like everywhere else but they are the most ignorant nation of people i´ve met in terms of thinking Europe is a country or Spain have 2 suns etc. You wouldn´t believe the amount of stupid questions i´ve been asked and I mean different all over in different states like SC, GA, AL you name it. So yes i´ve traveled all over and its not just the Americans abroad I am talking about. Your average every day American.

I don´t dislike them but they are just the most ignorant nation of people i´ve ever encountered and I have been all over. Being ignorant doesn´t make you a bad person.
I'm not exactly sure how to respond to this. I obviously have no point of reference for how Americans act toward people from other countries. I am curious to a fault, so perhaps I am one of the people asking stupid questions.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:05 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,813 times
Quote:

That is exactly the same as me. I was asked was I a shepard more then once because they thought that most people in Ireland were shepards. I was asked did we have cars or were we on horses. I was asked was Ireland connected to France and Africa. I was asked was I German because the guy thought that thats what you call Irish people becuase he never heard of the term Irish. I was asked was Ireland owned by England. I also got into a lot of arguments on Paddy's Day because Americans told me I was saying it wrong and that it was St Patty's Day when its Paddy's Day. Its not all Americans but there is a lot of them.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure how to respond to this. I obviously have no point of reference for how Americans act toward people from other countries. I am curious to a fault, so perhaps I am one of the people asking stupid questions.
It depends what kind of question it is. A stupid question is asking was I a shepard. Do you ask those sort of questions?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:11 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:

I spent six months in Spain. I felt similar things about the Spaniards.

It put me off of Europe. I once assumed that anyone in Europe was intelligent, educated, etc. Than I went to Spain.

Maybe it's just the Spaniards I was meeting...but never met one that could point to Philadelphia on the map. Many assumed that Japan was in China. All Moroccans were thieves, all loud people were Americans and just on and on with the idiocy.

The only real big difference though, is that I knew there were people like this in every part of the world. People who just didn't know any better. But previous to going to Spain, I had assumed that somehow Europeans didn't say stupid things, etc.

If you're still stuck at the 'Only Country A's provincial people don't know things', it sounds like you have a lot more traveling to do.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
It depends what kind of question it is. A stupid question is asking was I a shepard. Do you ask those sort of questions?
Wow, well, yes, that is an incredibly idiotic question. No, my questions are generally better than that, I would say. I'm a student of history and my favorite books as a child were atlases, so maybe I'm weird. :P

Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
Quote:
Hmm my house in Scotland is constructed of solid stone and is very old (1800s), my house that I am building in Spain is solid brick which is the norm here, but I am not a fan of the majority of the timber frame houses in the states. I´ve never seen a brick or stone house there - only faux style, but not true form.

Traditional homes in Scotland were made of stand stone too, and general brick they´re solid and will last for years to come.

I lived in the US so I have been there done that and bought the T shirt, so to speak.

I don´t dislike the US but had good and bad experiences with the people in Scotland and in their home land. I find the majority to be quite ignorant, not holding it against them. Also they think they are exempt from our laws because they are American etc etc, this is a thing that I also did not like. My house was huge but timber frame in the "snobby" New Hope area of Columbus, MS.

I would never live in the US again, I have a much better life here in Spain. Everything is much better. I wouldn´t change that for the world.
HMMM? So you can jump from Scotland- to AMERICA - to Spain and build new homes for yourself? You sound like a person of means..When you have access to that kind of money there is no need to be loyal to any nation. You must be one of those "citizens of the world guys" - You have freedom- the kind that only money can buy-- You sure that you are not an American...cos' you sure sound like one of the more successful ones...So what nation would your return to if you were suddenly tossed into paupership?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Wow, well, yes, that is an incredibly idiotic question. No, my questions are generally better than that, I would say. I'm a student of history and my favorite books as a child were atlases, so maybe I'm weird. :P
If its a history question well then thats fine but asking someone is there cars in their country is just stupid. I liked atlases as a kid and I still do sometimes pop one open and try and find a place if I am trying to learn about a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World